Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

Link

Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

That video made me dizzy. From the 1968 owners manual.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

meh...

this is how you do it

Link

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

I just put paint marks on the speedometer showing VW's recommended maximum speed in each gear just like a Type 1 has. In general I seldom actually look at them and shift by ear instead.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
meh...

this is how you do it]

There is no doubt that a good woman driver is as good or better than the best male drivers. 40 years back I ended up waiting for a couple of hours at the exit of a truck stop that was extremely steep, maybe 25%? Almost all the male drivers either stalled their engines as they made their first shift from the stop or ended up with the rpms so low they couldn't accelerate and would have to stop and start again in 1st, a few just didn't shift and ran in 1st for several hundred yards until the road leveled out before going into 2nd. Of the woman I watched (who at that time made up maybe 5% of the drivers) all made the 1-2 shift on the grade like there was no difficulty at all.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

How about shifts, ascending and descending mountains. Type1 vs type4 engines.
Erb apparently has all years of buses. So let’s see how’s it’s done.
Now what if someone has taller gears in their bus? Would the same rules apply? Tire diameter play any part in this? So many questions.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

I put paint marks on my ears so I can hear the shift points better.

Don’t you have to correct fir one Canadian rpm is 75% of a US rpm, too? Or is it the other way around ?
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

Us 71 owners are lost
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
Us 71 owners are lost

haha you'll just have to wait for the 1971 supplement.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
How about shifts, ascending and descending mountains. Type1 vs type4 engines.
Erb apparently has all years of buses. So let’s see how’s it’s done.
Now what if someone has taller gears in their bus? Would the same rules apply? Tire diameter play any part in this? So many questions.
To Erb is Human, or to be Human is to Erb.....
Or, last one I promise, To Erb is human, to forgive is divine.....the guy is a fixture, that's for sure.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
meh...

this is how you do it]

There is no doubt that a good woman driver is as good or better than the best male drivers. 40 years back I ended up waiting for a couple of hours at the exit of a truck stop that was extremely steep, maybe 25%? Almost all the male drivers either stalled their engines as they made their first shift from the stop or ended up with the rpms so low they couldn't accelerate and would have to stop and start again in 1st, a few just didn't shift and ran in 1st for several hundred yards until the road leveled out before going into 2nd. Of the woman I watched (who at that time made up maybe 5% of the drivers) all made the 1-2 shift on the grade like there was no difficulty at all.

Lots of women truck drivers today. I’ve been in the trucking business my whole life. About 10 plus years ago trucks really started heading toward automatic transmissions. A lot of the old school drivers were ‘offended’ at the idea of driving an automatic. I’ve heard many a driver complain that “even a broad can drive it.” Needless to say, once they started driving them they never wanted to go back to manuals, whether they would admit it or not. Why someone would be against something that makes their job a thousand times easier is beyond me. Ironically, I don’t think I would buy an ACVW that wasn’t a manual, but I’d be happy to never shift a truck again.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
meh...

this is how you do it]

Lots of women truck drivers today. I’ve been in the trucking business my whole life. About 10 plus years ago trucks really started heading toward automatic transmissions. A lot of the old school drivers were ‘offended’ at the idea of driving an automatic. I’ve heard many a driver complain that “even a broad can drive it.” Needless to say, once they started driving them they never wanted to go back to manuals, whether they would admit it or not. Why someone would be against something that makes their job a thousand times easier is beyond me. Ironically, I don’t think I would buy an ACVW that wasn’t a manual, but I’d be happy to never shift a truck again.

I work for a trucking company also. All the old school drivers hate the new automatics. They all same the same thing, they done put the power down to the ground, especially with chains on in the snow.
’65 Deluxe Build
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
meh...

this is how you do it]

I exclusively buy manual cars, not because I'm some kind of manual elitist, but because I have yet to find an automatic transmission that will go more than 150,000 miles without developing issues, even with regular fluid and filter changes.

Meanwhile, it seems like basically any manual transmission should get you to 250,000+ Miles as long as you keep oil in it and know how to shift.

My 1999 Subaru Legacy went almost 500,000 miles on the original transmission before a bearing failed.

I honestly love CVT Transmissions, they're fantastic if you do a lot of stop and go city driving. Unfortunately those are even more unreliable than a standard torque converter based automatic.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:

I exclusively buy manual cars, not because I'm some kind of manual elitist, but because I have yet to find an automatic transmission that will go more than 150,000 miles without developing issues, even with regular fluid and filter changes.

For Vanagons the automatics have a much better history than do the manuals, and this is accentuated when people swap in larger engines, particularly turbo Diesels.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:

Lots of women truck drivers today..

i've been running under the farm exemption for years. basically i could drive anything in pretty much any condition 150 miles from "home base"

anyway a few years ago i finally decided to get my CDL. i just took a class because it was a million times easier to go thru the DMV end of things. anyway, couple of women were in the class i was in.

1 i swear to God didn't know how to drive, period let alone a duplex or triplex. a quadraplex was for sure out of the fucking question. the other woman rowed gears like a fucking boss.

i chatted her up a bit as we were in the same group. turns out she came from a long line of truckers.

the "men" in my class were of the skinny jean lotioned hand cosmopolitan drinking variety. i'd say a good 2/3 of them never drove a manual, let alone a truck....and by truck i mean a full sized pickup

scary to think some of the truck drivers out there are afraid of their own shadow.

anyway, if you didn't test on a manual for your CDL you had a restriction stamped on your license you could only drive automatic trucks. driving a duplex all the way up to a quadraplex is a lost art these days.

that said, if i were doing this professionally fuck yea i'd want an automatic. you ever see a clutch cable on a Mack? it's about the diameter of a broom stick and 7' long going to actuate a pressure plate about the size of the tire on your bus. i'd take a automatic any day in that case

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

the "men" in my class were of the skinny jean lotioned hand cosmopolitan drinking variety. i'd say a good 2/3 of them never drove a manual, let alone a truck....and by truck i mean a full sized pickup

My favorite is when you pull off at the chain up station at the bottom of the pass to chain up, cause there’s a chain law in effect. Then some dude comes up to you wearing shorts, flip flops with socks and asks you if he can have a set of chains. “You don’t have any chains?” “No, I didn’t know I would have to be driving in snow.” “Dude, you’re in Colorado in the middle of winter.” So there goes numb nuts up the pass with no chains on. A short time later you’re rolling up on numb nuts stuck on the pass and effing up traffic.
’65 Deluxe Build
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: driving tips for your stock 1968-1970 vw bus Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:

For Vanagons the automatics have a much better history than do the manuals, and this is accentuated when people swap in larger engines, particularly turbo Diesels.

I had a Challenger 340 R\T in high school, loved that car. Broke my foot a week after graduation and had to get something with an automatic to get me through the summer. That was the last time I had a daily driver that was a stick, outside of a 12V Cummins that you could almost treat the 4 speed as an automatic with all that torque.

I've never had an automatic crap out on me, even the 42\44\45\46RE Mopar trans that everyone says is "like glass." No, it is a stout transmission, you just need to RTFM and do the band adjustments correctly (or at all). The dealer techs never would do these unless specifically instructed Sad.
My last two REs got over 300k, the trans and motors lasted longer than the bodies. I had a nice sideline for a while picking up cheap Jeeps and RAMs with "needs a new trans, no first or reverse" or "runs great but transmission slips," for under $500, climbing under them with in\lb wrench, properly adjusting the bands, clean out the accumulator (less than 30 minutes work total), then putting them back up for sale for a nice profit.

I like driving a stick for leisure, for day-to-day, slushbox all the way.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: