Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shoeboxes - Do I Need Them?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Shoeboxes - Do I Need Them? Reply with quote

Hello all... so I have my build nearing completion...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Only thing is... I mocked up the exhaust without shoeboxes in place, and now the shoeboxes push the j-tubes out just a little bit... I can just about get one side in but it isn't great... the other side no dice.

so... can I just leave the shoe boxes off or do they play an important part in air flow etc?
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: SHOEBOXES - DO I NEED THEM? Reply with quote

I believe they help direct the airflow across the bottom cylinders and head fins, and they also help protect the pushrod tubes.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: SHOEBOXES - DO I NEED THEM? Reply with quote

yeah.... that is what I figured... time for some pipe bending then!
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shoeboxes - Do I Need Them? Reply with quote

You might try modifying 40 hp stale air heater boxes. The J pipe is already inside. I don’t think the screw holes line up, but you clearly have fabrication skills.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Shoeboxes - Do I Need Them? Reply with quote

swanlakers wrote:
You might try modifying 40 hp stale air heater boxes. The J pipe is already inside. I don’t think the screw holes line up, but you clearly have fabrication skills.

yes could do... but quite scarce here in the uk methinks... may look at narrowing the shoe boxes 5mm towards the rear of the motor, and the flap obviously...
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Shoeboxes - Do I Need Them? Reply with quote

I don't have much helpful input, but I gotta ask what is the supercharger setup? Is than an AMR suprcharger? And is the crank pulley custom?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Shoeboxes - Do I Need Them? Reply with quote

Seems to me like it'd be simpler to add a slip joint or bend the exhaust to fit versus modifying the lower tinwork. Think
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Shoeboxes - Do I Need Them? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Seems to me like it'd be simpler to add a slip joint or bend the exhaust to fit versus modifying the lower tinwork. Think

Yes, I think I am chasing my own tail a little. So rather than trying to get the 1200cc header to work, if i get the wider and easily available 1300/1600 I will be able to turn the j-tubes out to meet this by turning their flanges.

then of course would need to cut and weld the tubes for the rear ports to make narrower...

so... maybe cutting the tin is just as easy...
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Shoeboxes - Do I Need Them? Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
I don't have much helpful input, but I gotta ask what is the supercharger setup? Is than an AMR suprcharger? And is the crank pulley custom?

yep. AMR300, pulley is custom... stock VW welded to a suitably sized junkyard piece. 4pk belt to charger. The tensioner is also junkyard, bolted to the case.

inlet is a 1500cc with the jacket removed, cut and turned and welded to fit...

Carb is on there to get the motor started, no way the lid will shut. will be switching to injectors once done... possibly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: