Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWs preserving history
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Cabot Tower, Signal Hill. The location of the receipt of the first transatlantic wireless signal. On Dec 12 1901 Marconi heard his assistant 3000 kms away in England send the letter S, and long distance radio communication was born.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Old barn I came across on my drive today. Unknown history, but likely a remnant from when the area was only farmland.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Cabot Tower, Signal Hill. The location of the receipt of the first transatlantic wireless signal. On Dec 12 1901 Marconi heard his assistant 3000 kms away in England send the letter S, and long distance radio communication was born.

It's also the location of the first transatlantic flight of an unmanned model airplane (GPS controlled) by Maynard Hill and his crew. I would have to look it up but if I remember correctly is took 4 tries before they had one that arrived successfully over the shores of Ireland to be taken control of and landed by a crew there. It was done on only a gallon of fuel!
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Lake Thurmond (or locally known as Clarks Hill Lake) dam is on the Savannah River and separates Georgia and South Carolina. Built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between 1946 and 1954 and is the third-largest artificial lake east of the Mississippi covering 71,000 acres.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

The Bon Air Hotel - Augusta, Ga. - originally built in 1889 and burned in 1921. This building was opened in 1924 as the Bon Air-Vanderbuilt Hotel. It was very popular until it closed in 1960. It is now a senior citizen and low income housing apartment building.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Boyhood home of Woodrow Wilson - who later became the 27th President of the United States. He lived here between 1858 and 1870.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Built in 1791, Meadow Garden was the home of George Walton, one of Georgia's three signers of the Declaration of Independence. Later, Governor of Georgia and a United States Senator. It was established as a museum in 1901. Never owned by him, he lived there in 1791 until his death in 1804.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Augusta University - the campus was originally used as a United States arsenal, established in 1816 and located to this campus in 1827. The arsenal was closed in 1955 and the land was given to the Junior College of Augusta in 1957.
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

The Bourne Bridge, completed in 1935, spanning the Cape Cod Canal, which separates Cape Cod from mainland Massachusetts, and is the widest man-made canal in the world.

They're currently working on the design to replace it, as well as the Sagamore Bridge, also completed in 1935, which looks almost identical. They'll probably both be torn down in the name of "progress". Rolling Eyes Sad

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Found on today’s misadventures...

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

West Cornwall covered bridge, at village of West Cornwall in NorthWest Connecticut. Built in its present form in the 1860's, reinforced and restored in 1973. The 172 ft-long bridge goes over the Housatonic River, and is adjacent to US Route 7 a few miles south of Lime Rock Raceway in Sharon, CT. My '70 Deep Sea Green Fastback in March 2006.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Also from yesterday...

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Can still hear the roar...

1984 Mexican Velvet Red Mexican Bug at the historic control tower of the Solitude Racetrack near Stuttgart/Leonberg (Germany)

Last edited by alex857 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
germanvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

My 1965 Beetle in front of Chambers Memorial Church in Rutledge PA, opened in 1892.

Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Here is Cedar Grove Cemetery in New Bern, North Carolina (about 30 min down the road where TDCTDI posted pictures above of "The Battle of Wyse Fork").

It was established in 1800 and the creator of Pepsi is buried there.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

My friend Greg M from central Connecticut (63vwdriver) was in southern New York on business in July 2013. With a good weather forecast, he drove his fine Yukon Yellow '69 Cabrio. We met up at the charming and really well maintained Bear Mountain Motel just south of West Point, where he often stayed. First photo is his, which I slightly enhanced.

Greg is an enthusiast of vintage diners as well as older roadside architecture, so we drove to the town of Peekskill across the Hudson River in northern Westchester County. I provided a nice surprise by directing him to the Center Diner on Bank Street, a National brand diner built in 1939.

Unfortunately the diner is now permanently closed mostly due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Here is a bit of history for me. Not much in it for you folks but it's a little graveyard at Consort where my mother grew up. We only live 45 minutes away and over the years we have lived here I promised myself a walk through here to see what names I could recognize.

So here is a couple highlights from our journey yesterday.

Here is my great grand parents. Homesteading pioneers in the area.

Here is my Grand Parent's close neighbors who pioneered also and with whom developed a friendship that spans 4 generations now as we are still very close to thier great grandchildren.

Here is the grave of a man that is nothing short of legendary in our history and the community. He was the only doctor in the area for many years both sides of and during the Great Depression. He never turned down a sick person no matter their ability to pay. He was there always for everybody! My Aunt's father did books for him in his later years and had tales of farmers coming in up to 20 years after the fact to settle their accounts. No interest charged! Such was the reverence of those in the community for him and his humanity toward them!

He delivered my mother at 3 months premature in a day and age when the only incubator was a basket in the open door of the family wood cook stove!

There were many more stones on which names from my mother's stories came back as I looked at them. Aunts, Uncles, cousins, neighbors and many I didn't recognize but are obviously, by thier names, shirt tail relatives. There was another pioneer's grave there that I met as a child who farmed a bit to the south near a town named Naco. One of his claims to fame was that he hauled the first load of grain into the newly build town and the last load of grain when the grain elevator and the town shut down in the late 1930s. I have walked main street in Naco and all that is left today is the railroad bed and a dozen stone building foundations.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: VWs preserving history Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing these pics and stories.
I dig the Dr. story. And the story of your mom's premature birth is amazing to.

We tend to forget the older times when life was tougher. But simpler as well. No TV, interweb, and the like.
Just a radio or stories handed down from one generation to another for our imaginations to carry us through our daily lives.

Happy Fathers Day weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: