Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Been away for years......Back with a "thing"
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Hope everyone is doing great. Been away for a long time. Getting back into off road again. I bought a crazy Thing desert car. Should be here this Friday. This guy did a real nice job building it. Cant wait to have fun with it. Wish I could take some credit for building it but I haven't even contributed putting gas in it Razz. I'm getting older and dont have a shop anymore so I wanted to buy something done. I'll post more pictures when I get it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Wow!

That is an awesome 'thing'.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Aerindel wrote:
Wow!

That is an awesome 'thing'.

Thanks Aerindel, years ago I took my old buggy (pic below) to a VW car show and saw a long travel off road thing. Wanted one ever since. Finally found one. Should be lots of fun. Would be fun to get a group of people together and meet at Little Sahara Ok sand dunes and have some fun.
baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

I’d like to see a few more pics when you get a chance, cool thing. I have an A arm thing as well.
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

baja5 wrote:
I’d like to see a few more pics when you get a chance, cool thing. I have an A arm thing as well.

Thats awesome you have an a arm thing. Post some pictures if you can. Love seeing what others have.

baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Very nice, thanks for posting.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

What size/brand are those tires? They look suspiciously like what I have on my Toyota Tundra.

c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Aerindel wrote:
What size/brand are those tires? They look suspiciously like what I have on my Toyota Tundra.

BFG all terrain. Will be ordering a set of paddles also.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

c54fun wrote:
Aerindel wrote:

BFG all terrain. Will be ordering a set of paddles also.

Yep, that would be them. Nice tire if I do say so myself. I traded 'something' to my father in law for a set and put them on my truck last year. Great in the snow which is good because I couldn't get my tire chains to fit on them anyway.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

That “thing” is absolutely bad ass!
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
That “thing” is absolutely bad ass!

Thanks Sailtexas. That's what I thought when I found it. It will be here Sunday. Cant wait.
I pick up my trailer Tuesday and yesterday I bought a bigger truck to pull it. Should be able to travel to different places to play. Will be setting the enclosed trailer up to camp in also.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

I don't normally complement a man about his thing but you have a very nice Thing!

Eq
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
I don't normally complement a man about his thing but you have a very nice Thing!

Eq

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy That's funny. If all goes well I will have it tomorrow afternoon.
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Decided to freshen up the engine that's in it instead of putting the built one in. New water pump, fuel pressure regulator, oil and oil filter, plugs, o2 sensor, 30" tires and waiting on an alternator and belt. It was running stupid rich. Burn your eyes rich. Its running great now.
What is the aluminum thing behind the nose cone on the transaxle? I've never seen one.
It has 33 on now. They look great but just to big. Also have sand tires on the way. Lots and lots of things to do to it.

kyle_pc_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

"Only driven to special events and on weekends."

Seriously, though, that seems like a really well built car, here are a few shots from the BOR race earlier this year in Vernal, UT. The only issue he had was smacking the oil pan due to a pretty low ride height.

c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the pictures. So cool to see. It has a fresh oil pan on. He said he cracked it. Another guy did the same but was leaking oil. Just kept adding oil and kept racing. Been working on it every day. Really miss messing with these. Such a great toy.
Installed a new glass. Old one was broke inside and out. New hardware to hold the hood down. Set of sand tires. New plugs, alternator, fuel reg, water pump, plugs and o2 sensor. Tablet installed and linked to obd2. Filled the gaps on the inside and undercoated. Removed graphics. Will add some old school decals in time. Removed the 33's and put on some 30" inch tires. Started cleaning shocks. Installed volt gauge and water temp gauge. I sold my welder so will have to find someone to weld in the swing out door bars. I may buy another welder and do it myself.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

So your saying it has no skid plate under the engine?

The car looks to have been built for dunes, and that 's pretty common for dune folks these days, no skid plates. My observations of dune offroading lead me to strongly recommend having a sturdy skid plate (at least 1/8" 6061-T6 aluminum or 13 gauge mild steel) with at least 1.5" of clearance under the trans and engine.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Its a class 10 desert car modified with a thing body. I will be adding another 12 inches of skid plate.
jps1145
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

c54fun wrote:
Its a class 10 desert car modified with a thing body. I will be adding another 12 inches of skid plate.

pull that 1/8" plate off and install 1/4" and you won't have any issues.
My Baja
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Been away for years......Back with a "thing" Reply with quote

Wow JPS...You've moved back to near me. I can practically see Tehachapi from here.

Be sure that an aluminum skidplate is made of 6061-T6, not a softer aluminum.

But it's important to have enough clearance for the skidplate to flex when it makes contact. I used to know a 5-Open racer who used 1/2" thick aluminum for his engine/trans skidplate. And he STILL damaged the bottom of the engine because it was nearly touching the top of the skidplate. I kept telling him to build the bumper cage so there was clearance between the engine and skidplate, and he felt it was more important to get as much ground clearance as possible.

My old race car (see my avatar)still has it's original skidplates front and rear and they're made of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate, which is an alloy similar to 6061-T6.

In that car there, the engine mounts being off the lower bumper cage bars means that every time the skidplate gets banged against something solid, the engine gets shoved up too. Many offroad racers with Ecotec engines use mounts that come down to the sides of the block from the corners of the frame where the upper side rails meet the cross bar above the bell housing. The scraped off paint shows that that engine cage gets dragged and not just once.

Make sure there is an overlap at the seam of the old skidplate and the new section so it doesn't snag on rough ground.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: