Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Cal look build
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Hey guys really new to the samba and VWs in general. This was my father in law's 65 that he had worked on for 20 years but never finished before he passed away about 6 years ago. My wife and I decided we wanted to try to finish it up. It has been in a storage building the past 6 months while we were moving. I brought it home tonight to get started on it. The last pic is similar to what he was wanting to do, Cal look in chrome yellow. I will probably be asking ALOT of questions and advice as I go along. I have been trying to read up alot on here to try to start learning. I'm getting excited to get going on it! I'm going to try to document my progress here as I go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

sweet! looks like the hard work has already been done! let us know if you have any questions, please keep us up to date!

oh and welcome to the 65 club!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Made a little progress. Wanted to get the carb windows done before it goes to paint. Got them from Danny Gabbard in the classifieds here. I used the supplied solid rivets and 3M 4941 VHB tape to hold them in place.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

I would recommend changing the trans mounts from the urethane ones you got in there now to a stock rubber mount. The urethane ones transfer a lot of noise and vibration, and have been known to fail and crumble.

I'm not really a fan of urethane anything, I've never been happy with it in any application for road use.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I would recommend changing the trans mounts from the urethane ones you got in there now to a stock rubber mount. The urethane ones transfer a lot of noise and vibration, and have been known to fail and crumble.

I'm not really a fan of urethane anything, I've never been happy with it in any application for road use.

Thanks for the information. I will try to do that.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Hey guys I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help with.
1. What is the large metal tab for on the front apron I have circled in red? I noticed there is only one on the drivers side.

2. Is there somewhere to get replacement VIN/body tags? As you can see in the pic it seems he got a little aggressive with his sanding and parts of the tag are unreadable.

3. I was mocking it up some with one of the fenders on and it looks like I will need to narrow the beam or buy a narrowed one. If the beam is narrowed 4" will it require some body mods for shock tower clearance?

Thanks in advance
car_cursed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

bw65vw wrote:

Hey guys I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help with.
1. What is the large metal tab for on the front apron I have circled in red? I noticed there is only one on the drivers side.

2. Is there somewhere to get replacement VIN/body tags? As you can see in the pic it seems he got a little aggressive with his sanding and parts of the tag are unreadable.

3. I was mocking it up some with one of the fenders on and it looks like I will need to narrow the beam or buy a narrowed one. If the beam is narrowed 4" will it require some body mods for shock tower clearance?

Thanks in advance

1. Horn Bracket

2. ??

3. There is a vendor that sells offset (bent) shock tower brackets for narrowed beams
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

bw65vw wrote:

As you probably know, a 4" narrowed beam will be narrowed 2 inches per side.
If I recall correctly, you shouldn't need to do any body mods, because the aftermarket beam will merely use flat steel plate for shock towers, so they will be much thinner than the OE design that utilizes two "shells" spot-welded together. So when you factor in the thickness of the stock tower, and the space already available to the inner fender well, you should have enough space to go inward 2 inches.

I put a 4" narrowed beam in my '68 convertible and no mods were required (the beam was from CB Performance). However, both of my '65s are stock.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

bw65vw wrote:

I love those wheels. What size are you running? 15x5.5 all around? I know there have been reported issues with the front wheels not having enough clearance for a center cap due to the drum's dust covers, but those center caps look good.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Not sure those aren't my wheels this was just a pic I found on the Samba Facebook page. This is the type of look I am going for though.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Working on removing the last remnants of the interior tonight. The old glued on padding is such a mess to try to remove. Been using a wire cup wheel on a drill but is slow going.

I'm assuming this eye bolt was for the lap belt to attach to as it has a nut and reinforcing plate welded to the pan. I wish it was a little further back as I plan to put in retractable belts with a shoulder harness. That location will be in the way for people trying to get in the back...which I'm guessing will be very seldom in my case.

Also I noticed a hole in the floor pan on each side I assume is a drain hole. Think I will plug them up with something.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Went today and had the front tires mounted up on the wheels so I could see the height with the drop spindles and see if I need a narrowed beam. As you can see in the pics I would need at least an inch to get the tire just under the fender. These are narrow tires (145) also. So thinking I am going to go with a 4" narrowed beam to get well under the fender now and allow room for possibly a wider tire in the future.

Pulled the shift rod tonight also to work on replacing the hanger bushing that was non-existent other than the clip still on the rod. Found the shift rod to be bent pretty bad which I thought was kind of odd. Has anyone else seen this before? Guess I will need a new one of these...
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

The bend in the shift rod is normal.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511782&highlight=bent+shift+rod
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
The bend in the shift rod is normal.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511782&highlight=bent+shift+rod

Thanks! yeah showing my ignorance to VW's... saw this on cip1.com in there listing for them too:
PLEASE NOTE: These shift rods are bent to fit around the e-brake handle area inside the tunnel, they are not supposed to be straight.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

I wouldn’t call it “ignorance” as much as “learning”, of which there’s a lot to learn with these little cars.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Stopped by Valley Autowerks yesterday and talked to Sam Manis II. Really nice guy and knowledgeable. Got my name on the list for one of his 4" narrowed adjustable beams. Said current turnaround is about 6 weeks.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Made some more progress in the last few weeks. Got all of the old upholstery glue stripped out. Ran all new metal brake lines. Got new dual master cylinder installed. New emergency brake cables ran and painted handle and reinstalled.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Very nice tribute to your FIL. Keep up the good work.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Cal look build Reply with quote

Got the rebuilt and painted pedal assembly installed. Went with the yellow 80's roller pedal I found in a box of parts and did the "Big Boy" pedal extender with new clutch shaft too.

I put this in the performance section but thought I would drop it here too:

So I found a business card of the guy who built the transmission for my Father-in-laws 65 VW and he was able to track down the information on what he did to it and left me a voicemail today while I was driving. I know very little about transmissions and plan to call him back and was wondering if anyone could explain a little about what he said and what else I should ask. Here is what he said it had.
- 4.12 Ring and Pinion
- 3.78 Super Beetle Main Shaft
- Super Diff
- Pro-Street setup
- Chromoly Pinion Nut
- Welded hubs and "stuff"

Any help explaining some of this would be greatly appreciated!

I realized last night the transaxle didn't have any oil in it at all so I filled it up. Tonight there was about a 4 inch puddle of oil under it that seemed to be coming out around the "dome" area of the axle tube on the right side where it meets the axle tube. I don't have axle boots on it yet...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: