Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

I am slightly overwhelmed trying to think of where to buy some because since I am living in my van full time right now, I have no idea where I’ll be in 2 months that some of these shipping times appear to have. I also am down to “go in” on some with others if that will reduce the price further and make it easier. Is 280 ah cells the largest that can fit under the seat ? Do we need ones with no posts?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

The 272Ah battery of four cells (aka 280) will *just* fit under the drivers seat, but not, IMHO, safely without some modification of the seat and the 'hole', and any swivel will have to go.

Personally I've had some trouble getting cells from China - *if* I had the spare cash I'd be buying from the USA directly, from someone like this:
https://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4-Prismatic-Batteries.aspx

I'm sure they could liaise with you to provide what you wish for.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

OldSpice wrote:
I am slightly overwhelmed trying to think of where to buy some because since I am living in my van full time right now, I have no idea where I’ll be in 2 months that some of these shipping times appear to have?

So are you asking where you can go buy a lithium battery in person?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
OldSpice wrote:
I am slightly overwhelmed trying to think of where to buy some because since I am living in my van full time right now, I have no idea where I’ll be in 2 months that some of these shipping times appear to have?

Oh, no, I guess I could have been more clear but I can coordinate where I will be in a week (most things I order online arrive in 3-6 days) but I cannot say where I’ll be in 2 months, plus I’m impatient 😆
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

OldSpice wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:

Oh, no, I guess I could have been more clear but I can coordinate where I will be in a week (most things I order online arrive in 3-6 days) but I cannot say where I’ll be in 2 months, plus I’m impatient 😆

Try this long-time solar supplier - Northern Arizona Wind & Sun
https://www.solar-electric.com/
I’ve gotten great customer service from them and technical support too.
However, the supply chain is tough right now.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
mugford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

[quote="vanagonjr"]
OldSpice wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:

Try this long-time solar supplier - Northern Arizona Wind & Sun
https://www.solar-electric.com/
I’ve gotten great customer service from them and technical support too.
However, the supply chain is tough right now.

I just put in an order for Victron gear today with them including a 200AH LiFeP04. Sign up and queue up your parts and compare to Amzn, you'll come out ahead. We'll see how soon they can ship.
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

Lots of the Chinese sellers on aliexpress also have USA warehouses and deliver in about a week. You will pay maybe $100 more when shipped from USA. I had to do this and it was pretty easy.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

what area or regions do you travel through
perhaps one of us could offer our address for a drop ship/pick up.

or you can utilize a UPS store/mailboxes etc sorta thing in an area you can get back to once your package(s) arrive. they'll let you know it's in and hold for you till you get there.

OldSpice wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
OldSpice wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

May I suggest that you give a name/number/website or something.

Saying lots of Chinese have USA websites does little to help anyone. There is a huge risk and if you have undertaken this and have good luck, I would love to hear it. Just as much as taking that huge risk and had terrible luck.

Just saying, I'm in the market and I'm not ready to throw away several hundred dollars if someone has been screwed.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

If you're not concerned with it being under rhe drivers seat, I suggest the SOK battery with a victron shunt.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand this comment, is there a problem with SOK batteries (not familiar with them) or with having an aux battery under the driver (which is the normal location in general)? Just curious.

BTW, the SOK 100Ah battery (with an integrated BMS) is $570, which seems to be a nice price - is this the one you're referring to? I think it's a little bit bigger than the aux battery box though.

https://www.sokbattery.com/products/100ah-12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
If you're not concerned with it being under rhe drivers seat, I suggest the SOK battery with a victron shunt.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
I'm not sure I understand this comment, is there a problem with SOK batteries (not familiar with them) or with having an aux battery under the driver (which is the normal location in general)? Just curious.

BTW, the SOK 100Ah battery (with an integrated BMS) is $570, which seems to be a nice price - is this the one you're referring to? I think it's a little bit bigger than the aux battery box though.

Sorry, I'll expand. The SOK Battery will NOT fit under the drivers seat, but it is one of the best reviewed batteries for the price and built insanely well. Will Prowse highly recommends it. So if you're priority is to put a battery in the drivers well, then SOK will NOT work. If your priority is ease and good price, then SOK is one of the best options.

https://youtu.be/RxMIs0PXrBw

https://youtu.be/GRTmvjcLXxs
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

Thanks for the information and links!

Actually, from an engineering point of view I truly liked one of the other batteries shown in the first link, the BigBattery 170Ah, such a well designed battery (the SOK is also very well designed). Using the Anderson poles to connect to the battery is a very interesting choice.

pnwkayaker wrote:

Sorry, I'll expand. The SOK Battery will NOT fit under the drivers seat, but it is one of the best reviewed batteries for the price and built insanely well. Will Prowse highly recommends it. So if you're priority is to put a battery in the drivers well, then SOK will NOT work. If your priority is ease and good price, then SOK is one of the best options.

https://youtu.be/RxMIs0PXrBw

https://youtu.be/GRTmvjcLXxs

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a new thread on where to buy LiFePO4 batteries?? Reply with quote

If you go on the DIYsolarp;ower forum there is a guy user micheal b. cairo who handles group buys and has found good suppliers in china. I just ordered new grade a lishen 288 ah cells for $540 shipped.

there seems to be 100's of people who have used them and are happy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: