Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche B32 Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

Anyone have information on the California company that was making Porsche powered Vanagons in the mid/late 1980s? They were badged as "Panzerwagons" iirc.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

11BC2 wrote:
Anyone have information on the California company that was making Porsche powered Vanagons in the mid/late 1980s? They were badged as "Panzerwagons" iirc.

That was Martin Schneider. His company is called MSDS. In the early 1990s he built a shop van that he called the Range Panzer, which is what you're probably remembering. It was a gold Syncro Vanagon with a 3.2 911 Carrera motor. His installation was really clean and back in the day he offered a conversion kit for the Porsche engine installation.

MSDS is still in business, but that shop van is long gone, and they don't offer the conversion parts any longer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
11BC2 wrote:

That was Martin Schneider. His company is called MSDS. In the early 1990s he built a shop van that he called the Range Panzer, which is what you're probably remembering. It was a gold Syncro Vanagon with a 3.2 911 Carrera motor. His installation was really clean and back in the day he offered a conversion kit for the Porsche engine installation.

MSDS is still in business, but that shop van is long gone, and they don't offer the conversion parts any longer.

Yep, it is still featured on their website:

http://www.msdsinc.com/company.html
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
This one seems to have the engine fitting below the stock deck height - even with the stock air box in place. It would be nice to see a photo from the rear to see how low the drive train is really sitting.

I took another look at that engine bay photo and I've concluded that I must be getting blind. I can now see that this van has the rear luggage deck raised in the same manner as a lot of other Porsche powered Vanagons. It has a second luggage floor piggy-backed above the standard one and mounted about 7" higher. That's why the engine and all related parts appear to sit so low, and also why there's room for the louvered side vents to enter into the engine bay.

I've dreamed of having a 911 powered Vanagon since the late 1980s when I first saw and heard one. With the going price of those engines these days, it totally dooesn't make sense. You can get the same if not more power from a tuned 1.8T, Subaru WRX, or Subaru SVX conversion. But there's just something about a 911 powered Vanagon that still appeals to me greatly.

Last edited by D Clymer on Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
D Clymer wrote:
11BC2 wrote:

Yep, it is still featured on their website:

http://www.msdsinc.com/company.html

Yes, indeed! That's the Range Panzer. I still have the old magazine articles featuring that van.
wälderer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Porsche B32, 11 total. This is number 5.

2 were supposedly shipped to Champion Porsche in Florida, I'm looking for these. If you know anything, please share.

Hi Eric,
Any chance you found out more about those 2 in the US? I'm trying to locate the b32's or where they went. There is supposed to be one in Thailand as well I'm trying to locate.
martijnc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

For sale in the Netherlands

The must have for every Porsche collector.⁠

The VW T3 B32 is one of the rarest Porsches ever built. This is one of the 7 built VW T3 B32 with Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera engine and Porsche VIN number. The van has a top speed of 185 km/h.⁠

This 1985 example in colour Perl mutter metallic, is specially made for the former CEO of Porsche AG Peter W. Schutz (1981 – 1987). The Porsche workshop Welcherath near the Nurburgring was the production plant for this cars. ⁠

The reason for the van’s conception was because Porsche needed a fast enough support vehicle to keep pace during its Paris to Dakar rally campaign with the Porsche 959. ⁠

#Porsche #porscheb32 #vwt3 #porscheclassic #classiccar #porschelove #porschefamily #yesporsche #porschecentrumgelderland #porscheclassiccentergelderland #werealiseyourporschedream

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

martijnc1 wrote:

The must have for every Porsche collector.⁠

The VW T3 B32 is one of the rarest Porsches ever built. This is one of the 7 built VW T3 B32 with Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera engine and Porsche VIN number. The van has a top speed of 185 km/h.⁠

This 1985 example in colour Perl mutter metallic, is specially made for the former CEO of Porsche AG Peter W. Schutz (1981 – 1987). The Porsche workshop Welcherath near the Nurburgring was the production plant for this cars. ⁠

The reason for the van’s conception was because Porsche needed a fast enough support vehicle to keep pace during its Paris to Dakar rally campaign with the Porsche 959. ⁠

#Porsche #porscheb32 #vwt3 #porscheclassic #classiccar #porschelove #porschefamily #yesporsche #porschecentrumgelderland #porscheclassiccentergelderland #werealiseyourporschedream

That's just so beautiful!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

Is there a reason that companies don't offer Porsche engine swap kits?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Is there a reason that companies don't offer Porsche engine swap kits?
Its a pretty pricey swap. There used to be one (out of California, I think). I kinda remember BenT saying he had one squirreled away for future use. There used to be a few visible every year at the vintage races at SIR.
I'm wondering what Porsche used as a transaxle in those B32s.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

doesn't Kennedy have one?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
doesn't Kennedy have one?
Kennedy makes two different VW/Porsche adapter plates but don't sell 'kits'.
www.thebassspa.com
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

martijnc1 wrote:

For sale still/again for €364,900 Surprised :

https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/this-rare-half-...ever-made/

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id...bd575b95a4

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

I'm wondering what Porsche used as a transaxle in those B32s.

According to the article that Kamz just posted (not very specific, though):

Quote:
...while a Porsche gearbox was fitted to cope with the extra power of the flat-six.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

Is there a Porsche gearbox that would accept the bell housing of the 091 or 901/1?

Hans
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

The trans axles were reported the be the 915 Porsche box with the added gears on the nose cone for the oil cooler. In addition it was reported that the brake system was that from a 944 turbo.

The reason there was not many conversions done is because the 911 community was also swapping out the 3.2 engines into the older cars. One example I got to drive was a 75 911 . It changed the hole feel of the car. But the 3.2 was a highly sot after swap and they were more $ than you would pay for a hole westy!!

I think the Vanagon should have come with the 911 wheels
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

a914622 wrote:
The trans axles were reported the be the 915 Porsche box with the added gears on the nose cone for the oil cooler. In addition it was reported that the brake system was that from a 944 turbo.

The reason there was not many conversions done is because the 911 community was also swapping out the 3.2 engines into the older cars. One example I got to drive was a 75 911 . It changed the hole feel of the car. But the 3.2 was a highly sot after swap and they were more $ than you would pay for a hole westy!!

I think the Vanagon should have come with the 911 wheels

Yes, its super popular now to swap in 3.2 and 3.6 911 engines into a 914. I have two of em and they are scary fast as it's only a 2000lb car. Steel flares are added for bigger tires and yes, a 915 transmisson is used. Jay Leno featured one on his youtube video channel.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm trying the wheels out....these tires...ugh, too thin.
But now that it's alive and running again I'll bolt em back on and take a careful drive around the block. Just for more pics. 19x8.5/10.

A 911 engine, air cooled would be so nice.
Eliminating the whole coolant system and adding more air intake on the sides would be fantastic.
I never had an air bubble in my air cooled cars, or a leak.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

If you want one, here is your opportunity!

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=346660513

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche B32 Vanagon Reply with quote

The non-B32 I posted here is FS on FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/modifiedporsches/posts/586191559838563/

Porsche Joest. Racing built
964 3,6 Liter engine brakes and gearbox
One of 12 built
This one was built for „John Winter“ (Louis Krages)
Intresting price
Please ask

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: