Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm about to embark on an updating and correcting of a Westfalia interior that I installed into a former Sundial Camper conversion way, WAY back in 1985, a LHD non-walk-thru Jan of 1967 tin-top Kombi which now has a pretty much complete Westfalia SO42 interior. Yes, I'll be adding that fifth louver window in place of that lone pop-out on the forward left side, as well as removing the pop-out on the closet and installing the correct fixed window and seal. No, I will not be repainting the camper at this time back to it's original Pastel White. Yes, those are actual factory Safari windshields that Jeff Walters removed from a salvage yard Bus in Honduras, and that Charlie Hammill restored and painted to match my Bus. Sometime in the not to distant future I'll be swapping the "slash" bumper set for a "pointed" set that I have stashed away.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Non-stock are the interior wall panels, and the original Sundial Camper ceiling is still in place today. But all that is about to change. This Campmobile will be attending the upcoming "Jerome Jamboree" in late September just as it is currently, and then immediately after the event weekend we're gutting it at a shop out in the Phoenix area and installing a original Westfalia pop-top assembly to it's tin-top roof...

...and then doing the entire ceiling and wall panelling again in the correct Baltic Birch as well as installing a correct new floor too. Then my SO42 interior will be reinstalled in it's newly refreshed home...

I've got a few questions to ask of those of you out there who have an original and unmolested Westfalia Campmobile that you can refer to for answers.

About the "cap" on top of the divider wall? What is it's part number and what is it called? I'm gonna need to search for one, as I think I am missing this little goodie that I've seen on other SO42 non-walk-thru Campmobiles...

About the "female" brass table catch, where is it originally mounted? Right onto the metal "J" channel or with a wood shim to the flooring? I'm thinking it should be screwed into to the metal "J" channel...

Photos of original mounting of the horizontal "J" channel that holds bottom edge of birch paneling on the driver/long side? I'm thinking that once our new plywood subfloor/linoleum is mounted, then we'll mount the "J" channel along the floor. I'm wondering if the "J" channel is right down on the flooring or if there is some sort of small air gap, and how big that gap might be.

I'm assuming that the new (thanks Jacek!) bungee cord set holds the individual window curtains, so my Campmobile will need only two plastic curtain holder straps mounted on the "B" pillars to hold the retracted forward cab curtains on the left and right side. Any good photos or measurements of the mounting spot for these straps would be helpful.

Is the ceiling mounted plastic snap strap that holds the dining table upward when needed any different than a regular curtain strap on a wall? Same length?

Any suggestions on which place to buy a pop-top to body seal for the restored pop-top we will be installing? Who currently has the best one in terms of fit and stock-ish appearance? I already have new plastic moldings and Helmut's fantastic reproduction of the pop-top tent material.

I'm sure as I pile all the parts and look at the Campmobile more, I may come up with a few more questions for you original SO42 owners out there, but these should do for a start. I've owned this Camper since 1984, She was my first Split-Bus. And I'm sure that I'll own it for the rest of my life. It is time that I spent a little time correcting things and she is now at the front of my to-do list. Thanks again for you help, descriptions, and photos to guide me to getting a lot of the little details right.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: a few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

The button for these straps are 3" from the bulkhead and 1" from the back of the pillar-

The straps are the same length as the table hanger on the ceiling- 8-1/2".

The table mount, mounts to the floor, there is a supporting piece of wood under there.. just a simple, small block to "screw" the support to. Mine is not correct size, I sourced a like latch at my local hardware and used it.... shhhhh!

That long side rail... is on top of the flooring... it does work to hold that edge of flooring down, but not hard pressure... if that makes sense.

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: a few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

Not sure about the piece of wood under the table catch. This is from a very unmolested 65 Westy:

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: a few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

https://www.steelerubber.com/top-lip-push-on-seal-70-3591-99

That is the closet to the original profile that I know of.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.

Last edited by crofty on Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: a few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

The little piece pictured under my latch is aluminum, mine is the wrong size catch- a mini version of the original. That riser got it to the correct height to catch on the table (male end). Perhaps there is no extra wood under there.. may just thread to the floor and birch. Hard to believe it has been 9 years since my assembly! I did pull the interior after one season... looking for pics now.
srfndoc wrote:
Not sure about the piece of wood under the table catch. This is from a very unmolested 65 Westy:

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: a few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

There was some discussion about 67 potentially being different (mounted on the j-channel). My Jan 3rd 67 SO 42 has it mounted on the floor still. From the 66 parts list:

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

Here's my original July '67 location and og parts. The frothy stuff is Gorilla glue which I detest but wanted it to have more support than just the screws.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

Hi BarryL and everyone,

Barry, In your photo I notice that the brass "catch" is mounted upward on a thin wooden spacer and as well it has a thicker wooden spacer between the metal "J" channel and the brass catch which brings the catch a little inward on the floor. Was that from the factory or did you need to keep the stowed table further away from the wall for some reason?

So far we've seen a few examples mounted to the floor and a few mounted to the metal "J" channel. I wonder if the dudes at Westfalia had a reason or just did whatever they felt like that day...

Thanks for replying with original examples for everyone's benefit and to help me get this correct! Anyone else going to be at the Jermome Jamboree in Sept?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hi BarryL and everyone,

Barry, In your photo I notice that the brass "catch" is mounted upward on a thin wooden spacer and as well it has a thicker wooden spacer between the metal "J" channel and the brass catch which brings the catch a little inward on the floor. Was that from the factory or did you need to keep the stowed table further away from the wall for some reason?

So far we've seen a few examples mounted to the floor and a few mounted to the metal "J" channel. I wonder if the dudes at Westfalia had a reason or just did whatever they felt like that day...

Thanks for replying with original examples for everyone's benefit and to help me get this correct! Anyone else going to be at the Jermome Jamboree in Sept?

Bill Bowman

Mine (Sept 66 built) was mounted to the J channel with a thin piece of wood behind the channel and panel to keep the channel from deforming in that area. I am certain it was never mounted to the floor, as there would have been screw holes in the cargo floor.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Always was like that. It's actually a rabbit and the wood is screwed to the floor then I think the catch goes through the wood and the floor. I think mine cracked and I saved the piece to keep on there. If it didn't have the wood the table would miss the ball catch or if the table was lower the table would scrape on the floor. The wall distance keeps the folded leg from hitting the wall.

Major Woody wrote:
I am certain it was never mounted to the floor, as there would have been screw holes in the cargo floor.

Conversely mine was never in the J-channel as there would be holes.
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

Year+ old thread but I just wanted to say a couple things.
Image below (point 2) states where the table friction catch should be located and mounted.

Also: I'm looking for an SO42 table catch myself! If you have one please PM me!

Cheers.

1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

Juan wrote:

Hi Juan,
I bought mine off of eBay. Search boat brass ball catch. It is exactly the same as the original.

I bought mine for $5 and it came with two. It is the exact size as original as the male catch that was still attached to my big table (that is original to the bus) fits perfectly into the new female part of the ball catch.

Also, if you search the classifieds, there is one for sale sale.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1855899
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
Juan wrote:

Hi Juan,
I bought mine off of eBay. Search boat brass ball catch. It is exactly the same as the original.

I bought mine for $5 and it came with two. It is the exact size as original as the male catch that was still attached to my big table (that is original to the bus) fits perfectly into the new female part of the ball catch.

Also, if you search the classifieds, there is one for sale sale.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1855899

Thank you SO MUCH for the eBay tip. I'm on it right now.
What is the correct size to get? I see a couple of different sizes and not sure which one it would be.
I did email the seller (twice) of the ad you mentioned but got no response.
I think I'm gonna try these ebay ones.

Thank you again!
1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frontier Finds Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

Hello, I have 1966 SO42 that is missing the non walkthrough jump seat base. I have the vertical piece. Can someone please post the dimensions or a template so I can make my own? Also, did SO42 come with a chrome emblem or painted? Mine was originally white.

Much appreciated,
Nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

There are a few SO42 manuals in the lit section that may be able to answer some of your questions

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/so42booklet.php

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1965_campmobile_marketing_guide.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

This is a great post. I just bought my 6th SO42 last week but I haven't had one since the early 2000's so seeing this and reading it is very interesting.

The bus I bought is a walk-through but it came with a 68 & up stool. The center cushion was not with the bus. And, the cleats the cushion sits on aren't in place. However, I did find one of the cleats in the icebox drawer, so that's a start. Can anyone tell me or give me pictures (better yet) of the positions of the cleats? Or the coordinates of the screw holes on each side? That would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Will
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

Near the top of this page I talked about this Camper and asked for some help from some of you with details for restoration work I was about to start in Sept 2019. Thanks to all who posted information and photos! I guess I forgot during the pandemic craziness to post any photos of the refresh work we did in Sept 2019 on my former Sundial Camper, now Westy SO-42 Campmobile. Enjoy!

Moments before "undergoing the knife" out in Phoenix the morning after the 2019 Jerome Jamboree...

The pop-top section I saved and stored away for over two decades for use on this Camper...

Roy Jonas after cutting the hole and using his jigs to crisply bend the lip like the folks at Westy did...

We brought the Camper out west for the chance to use my own Campmobile at the Jerome Jamboree and also to complete a long-prepared for refresh of the interior and a pop-top install. The work was started on the Monday after we attended the 2019 Jerome Jamboree weekend. Jeramiah at www.modernrelix.com in the eastern suburbs of Phoenix was the wood and interior master, and our buddy Roy Jonas was the metalmaster who cut the hole in my tin-top camper and bent up the lip with special custom made jigs he fabricated. The restored pop-top and hardware were then assembled to the roof with a new tent material from Helmut in Europe.

Jeramiah cut a new, correct subfloor from his pattern collection and then covered it with a vintage look linoleum flooring.

He then created an incredible and very accurate Baltic Birch interior wall panel and ceiling panel set from his patterns, installed them all, and then we re-installed my SO-42 cabinetry and bed/seats, reproduction Westy curtain set and icebox/tank/pump.

Our first night camping in our "pop-top" equipped SO-42 in Arizona...

My wife flew in from St. Louis as we finished it all up and we hopped in and started a nice leisurely driving vacation in my refreshed Westy Campmobile from Phoenix, to Flagstaff, then West to visit relatives near Las Vegas for a few days, and then a nice cruise northeast along I-15 into Utah and then eastward on I-70 over the Rockies thru Denver and across the prairie to Missouri and home to St. Louis.

Somewhere on I-70 in Utah...

Cruising up and over Vail Pass in Colorado...

Back home in St. Louis and out for a Covid parking lot dinner experience...

I only wish I had done this back in 1984 when I bought this Bus... I wholeheartedly thank buddies Shawn Sides, Roy Jonas, and Jeramiah Polynone for their help and superb talents used in making this Camper even more correct, fun and practical.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

While we are obsessing over SO42 detail correctness, can someone with an *original* SO42 confirm how table leg mounts into floor? I am pretty sure it is the same as early bays (see attached picture), but want to confirm hole was drilled through flooring and plywood before busting out my drill bit etc. Thanks!

turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
While we are obsessing over SO42 detail correctness, can someone with an *original* SO42 confirm how table leg mounts into floor? I am pretty sure it is the same as early bays (see attached picture), but want to confirm hole was drilled through flooring and plywood before busting out my drill bit etc. Thanks!

In my research I found that yes it did have a hole to allow for the plate to be installed properly. When I redid my interior flooring I drilled the hole first then laid down the lino then used a razor blade to cut the opening and worked perfect.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: A few Westfalia SO42 Campmobile interior questions... Reply with quote

Hole goes through to bottom of floor.
Screws go through steel.
Underneath looks like hole comes through but it is just pressed from table leg tightening use pushing the steel floor.

I replaced my screws with stainless.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: