Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High lift rocker cover.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugblanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

My new 1904 motor has 1.4:1 rockers and a Web 80 cam so I fitted a set of bolt on rocker covers for the extra clearance. Now I have come to put the engine in (a '65 Beetle) there is no way they will fit between the metal or be accessible to service.

How do folk get around this?

Will stock tin ones work or should I use the slightly larger ones such as Scat?

Last edited by bugblanc on Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

I had the same problem on my 59 ghia. No way were my nice billet CB valve covers gonna fit.

2276cc, 1.4:1 rockers and an FK7 I have no issues running stock covers. I recently swapped to SCAT clip on covers and these also fit ok.
2003 911
www.hertfordshirevehiclestorage.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugblanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

It beats me, 1904 is only a 5mm increase each side from the original 1200. Not as if I am putting a mountain motor in it.

Heritage had some Scat StSt items so ordered them. Should get tomorrow and see how it goes.
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

i dont know for sure but feel my issues were more engine height rather than width.
early pan, later box and nosecone, later mount welded in, rhino mounts, and the air ride cradle/brace tie in on the framehorns have (i think) contributed to a slightly higher engine further back towards the rear of the car. Stock valve covers are also “tight”
2003 911
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugblanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

My motor is about 10mm high and I have struggled to work out why other than a HD horn bracket and Rhino mounts. The extra width fouls the return folds on the bottom of the inner wing panels so they may get trimmed.

I have to rework the Kafa bars first thing tomorrow then I can put the motor back.

After that I’ll bet my throttle bodies hit the sides Confused
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

I’ve got genuine VW rocker covers on my 2110 which has an Engle FK10 & 1.4 rockers. Never had an issue with that.
bugblanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

k@rlos wrote:
I’ve got genuine VW rocker covers on my 2110 which has an Engle FK10 & 1.4 rockers. Never had an issue with that.

I have seen others say it is OK. It worried me that it could do some damage if the rockers hit the covers even though my cam is fairly mild.
bugblanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

Well the Scat SS items turned up from Heritage this afternoon. They save approximately 20mm a side. I did try a stock pair but they are so close they may well touch.

Now just waiting for some decent nuts for the rocker shaft posts - M8 / 10.9 with a smooth flange.
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

bugblanc wrote:

Now just waiting for some decent nuts for the rocker shaft posts - M8 / 10.9 with a smooth flange.

dont forget the spring washer 😂 been there
2003 911
bugblanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of discussion about the washer, some people say use a wavy washer but many say don't use any washer.

My old 1200 doesn't have any washers and they do say that they didn't have any when they came out of the factory.

I have found some good high tensile (10.9) smooth faced flange nuts which give a much larger contact surface. I was hoping these would torque up and stay put?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

My SCAT 1.4:1 rockers came without washers. Just a set of Nylock nuts. So that's what I run. The rockers don't come loose.

Regarding the rockers hitting the VC. I run a Webcam 86b with the 1.4 rockers.
STOCK VC! No need for any aftermarket covers.

It's your car. Do what you feel makes you happy and safe.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

hmm.. I've purchased those CB billet covers for my new motor. Now I'm second guessing them.
bugblanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
hmm.. I've purchased those CB billet covers for my new motor. Now I'm second guessing them.
Mine we’re Empi but I doubt there is much differencs.

With a bit of tugging an squeezing I could probably have got it all to fit but TBH it was ridiculously tight and I don’t see how I would have got them off to do valves. As it is I have trimmed some of tin at return bottom edge of the inner wing.

The Scat SS ones seem to be a better bet. A tad taller so will clear the rockers. Usefully they also have enough of a flat at either end to fit the breathers.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: High lift rocker cover. Reply with quote

use higher pin hight pistons so the cylinders can be shorter.. make soime 2 peice valve covers.( witch Im very suprized the CB billets are not. just a removable top half.with "O" ring seal.) or wood that be side removable... Shocked or....widen your car. Wink Also the cb "C" channel valve covers are shorter than the empi's version.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: