Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Complete Wiring Harness Installation
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goofyjoker87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I have a 1968 VW Beetle and I bought a complete wiring loom which I have no idea how to install. Does anyone know any locations in Los Angeles that can do this for me? Any help here would be appreciated as the mechanic shop that I reached out to do no do anything like that.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

There is a Bug Me Video that covers how to install a complete wiring loom. Volume 9. They’re probably still something like $29.95. I have it, and it’s very thorough.

You might check that out before paying a mint to have someone else do the job.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

The video is a good start. Before you start disconnecting any wires. Take pictures + pictures + picture + ................... of routing of the wires , connections on fuse boxes and relays + + +...... Not a big deal on a Beetle. You have great access to all wires from under the hood. Type 3 and Bus is a different story. Good looms should have all the same colors.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

JBUGS also has a series on harness install that is also good. It's also on the internet.
goofyjoker87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

Thank you both. I will try the DVD, as I am not really familiar with these types of things. I have seen the JBUGs videos, and I do not think they were as in depth as I would like.
71InvaderGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

I just purchased the American Autowire kit and am currently rewiring the entire kit car; these are the best schematics I've ever seen.

I wouldn't tackle this job with lesser diagrams unless I had decent electrical knowledge or experience - definitely fried a few switches and made terrible crimps so far hahaha
goofyjoker87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

Taking pictures is a great idea! Hopefully I take enough
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

It is a lot easier than you think. The wire loom is in quite a few pieces. Just take one piece at a time and as they say take pictures take notes if you take it one at a time there’s usually only maybe six wires in each piece so it’s not a big deal. The hardest part is fishing the front to back loom all the way through the body.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

For the wiring harness, take lots pictures of the fuse box and write everything down (to and from). Get a wiring diagram and have it blown up. This way it will be easier to follow. Just be aware that the wire harness kits do not come complete, certain circuits like ignition and turn signal do not come in the harness. When installing the grounds make sure you clean and polish the tabs for good ground and use dielectric grease to protect the connection.
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
Just be aware that the wire harness kits do not come complete, certain circuits like ignition and turn signal do not come in the harness.

What harness kits specifically are you talking about? The Wiring Works harness for my '56 and the Wolfsburg West harness for my '70 both were COMPLETE Shocked Shocked

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

The 2 harness kits I installed were for my 71 SB, and a 69 std. both kits are from Wolfsburg West and they were from Wiring Works.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
There is a Bug Me Video that covers how to install a complete wiring loom. Volume 9. They’re probably still something like $29.95. I have it, and it’s very thorough.

I would also recommend watching this video twice before you start. There are some great tips that are not described in any manual I have seen. It is well worth the price if you are taking on a re-wiring job.

Lay out the harness along side the car and identify the different segments and the wire colors in that segment. For example, right front corner lights. Left front corner. Left & right rear light wires. Under rear seat wires.

As long as your harness has the same wire colors as stock you can just take one section or one sub-system at a time and take it step-by-step. Don't try to wire the entire car. Just look at the wires in front of you. Eventually all the wires will be terminated and your car will be done.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

I got a reputable air-cooled shop to quote installing a harness recently. It's labor rate was only $75 an hour and labor alone was $3K.....

If you have the will to work I would certainly TRY to install it.
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Complete Wiring Harness Installation Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
The 2 harness kits I installed were for my 71 SB, and a 69 std. both kits are from Wolfsburg West and they were from Wiring Works.

If you got them from Wolfsburg West then they were made by Wolfsburg West not Wiring Works Wink

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: