Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

Has anyone made a faithful reproduction of any rack clamps? With prices of originals where they are, I would think this would be practical.

Drive 'em if ya got 'em, and don't brag if you didn't do the work yourself...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

Dewayne wrote:
Has anyone made a faithful reproduction of any rack clamps? With prices of originals where they are, I would think this would be practical.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2009209
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

not to nit pick but if someone is going to go to the effort to do a repro clamp you think they might do it galvanized as per original not a shiny metal version.. just saying same to do all that effort and miss an obvious low hanging fruit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

early clamps would be great as would the sloper rack bows.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
not to nit pick but if someone is going to go to the effort to do a repro clamp you think they might do it galvanized as per original not a shiny metal version.. just saying same to do all that effort and miss an obvious low hanging fruit

I agree but the problem is new galvanizing would be shiny as well (there was another thread that discussed this). I think most of us prefer a more aged look like many of the good condition originals look but doubtful you can get that with new galvanizing.

I would say the finish on those looks pretty close to originals when new. (click photo for larger image):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

Vinegar oxidizes (dulls / turns grey) galvanized items.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
early clamps would be great as would the sloper rack bows.

There were reproduction early clamps advertised last year, the seller must have run out.
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

This:
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/news/bracket-for-westf...1558496834

I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

ezcamper, I've never seen these before thanks!

ezcamper wrote:
This:
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/news/bracket-for-westf...1558496834

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

^^^Does anyone have experience with these clamps from Germany? They look painted...

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

I follow the guy that makes them on instagram and I think they are bare steel.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

ezcamper wrote:
I follow the guy that makes them on instagram and I think they are bare steel.

If you want them expect a wait. I ordered them on 5/22 and have yet to get them. They are supposed to arrive today.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

I recall someone making reproduction hatches for early campers, but can't find the info after an exhaustive search. Does anyone remember who was making them?
Dewayne Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

I remember that too.... was it Creative Engineering? Seems I saw a post but they weren't available yet.... but then I remember lots of things as real that I dreamed to be true... old age....

'64 SO34
'60 SO23
frilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the repro tent at the beginning of this topic are for sale?
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

note sure what repro tent you are referring to? If you referring to this one it is your lucky day as it says they are gonna be available.. starting today

https://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue/1-exterior/8-A...ge-white-/
frilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which westy part would you like to see reproduced next? Reply with quote

I'm referring to the repro so42 tent at the begging of this topic made in the uk
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: