Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

I’m running a 1 3/4” merged system on my motor, and with it a CB Pro-flow Dynomax big muffler, and it’s LOUD. At freeway speeds it’s deafening. What other high flow mufflers are out there that might not be so LOUD?
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

I’ve got an A1 sidewinder on my 2110. Noisy if you nail it but pretty good on the motorway
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

Make sure the exhaust pipe exits out the rear past the bumper and on the Dynomax I weld around the seams which are just crimped.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

roll the 'window's' down Wink it helps, Laughing
I'm leaving for a Car Show in a cpl hours and it's 33* out Shocked I think i'll wear ear muffs Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Make sure the exhaust pipe exits out the rear past the bumper and on the Dynomax I weld around the seams which are just crimped.

That´s number one thing to pay attention to.
Next, a 1 3/4" header is for the grown ups and this following mods might end up a little volumptios it does work well. Especially on bus engines with Pythons and Sidewinders we have done it often We cut the tail pipe off. Then we reroute it so that it clears everything and then add a tail pipe silencer like this
https://shop0777.hstatic.dk/upload_dir/shop/U235100.wm.d776a4.jpg
https://www.mekonomen.no/systemmedia/product/01-SU236300/enderor.jpg
works well and typically also takes away the drone.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

I weld a 3"x3"X3/8" plate on the lowest part of the muffler when mounted on the car. This acts as a skid plate. It won't stop any major hits but will help with a few minor scrapes.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

I used to run the DRK A1 Magnaflow which was quite noisy. Recently switched to a CSP-JPM Wasp side muffler. CSP has several muffler options that might work and you can get them from CIP1.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

Had the same issue with my A-1. Went down and saw Tiger and told him it was killing me. He replaced it with a quieter muffler (cant remember which one) and had him modify for the v-band while at it. Result? Im not setting off car alarms in garages, I can hear myself think and it actually runs better and idles smoother.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

Which A-1 muffler did you have before?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

Custom fabbed mandrel 2.5" stainless J-Bends off the header collector that go to a Flowmaster FlowFX stainless muffler and out right behind passenger rear tire. No longer have the annoying drone that we had with virtually every other muffler and cruising around town is just throaty. Get on it, and it will talk to you!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

most Ive seen have too big of a muffler on them. unless your over 2276 and high rpm with that a 2" muffler should do just fine...if its' a proper made 2".but thats hard to find these days. there is also another issue...what sounds totally awesome to joe bob jinkins may sound like shit to you...or versavisa. and muffler testing can be a pain and expensive. I wish I had kept the muffler that was on my bug when I sold it and put the super traper on it that I didnt like....but I wasent thinken.
if your engine dosent have the velocity for a big muffler it's doing more harm&noiseyer than good. and there are not a lot of street bugs that need a 2.5" or larger muffler...although the owner does need it for some reason.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

These Black Widow mufflers are supposed to have no drone.

https://www.blackwidowexhaust.com/

As I stated earlier make sure the exhaust tip exits out back past your vehicle so the sound does not reverberate underneath.
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

Flowmaster proseries with turndown is a good one.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

A1 built me a 2 1/2" muffler that makes the car too quiet. I posted about it in the past and took pictures.

I never use it, too boring....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 3/4” Merged Exhaust Muffler Options Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
most Ive seen have too big of a muffler on them. unless your over 2276 and high rpm with that a 2" muffler should do just fine...if its' a proper made 2".but thats hard to find these days. there is also another issue...what sounds totally awesome to joe bob jinkins may sound like shit to you...or versavisa. and muffler testing can be a pain and expensive. I wish I had kept the muffler that was on my bug when I sold it and put the super traper on it that I didnt like....but I wasent thinken.
if your engine dosent have the velocity for a big muffler it's doing more harm&noiseyer than good. and there are not a lot of street bugs that need a 2.5" or larger muffler...although the owner does need it for some reason.

I kinda agree. 2" is sufficient to about 170 hp.
I also agree that most of the mufflers used today are annoyingly loud. (Which is fine if you want to make sure the entire neighbourhood knows when you leave and come home) On a buggy, fine, on a bus or a long distance bug, annoying.
Every once in a while we build 2 free flow mufflers in line, one on each side of the engine. Especially on busses this is really nice. Done right the surroundings still know sumptin´s going on when you floor it, but you can also almost creep up on them if you stay off the loud pedal which makes it very comfortable to drive the car over longer distances.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: