Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

August 1957 36 hp engine
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bang bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Hi all

I am looking for a correct picture of how an August 1957 36 hp bus engine should look from factory.

Main things i want to confirm is the generator, fuel pump and distributor.

Thanks
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Bang bus wrote:
Hi all

I am looking for a correct picture of how an August 1957 36 hp bus engine should look from factory.

Main things i want to confirm is the generator, fuel pump and distributor.

Thanks

The generator would be a "thin slot" unit.
The fuel pump has a bump on the top, not a brass bolt.
The distributor is a BR8 that is full centrifugal advance with no vacuum can.

generator:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fuel pump:

distributor:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bang bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Thanks Lind for sharing those pics

Much appreciated
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

In case you are going for nit picky as some of us do, the distributor and generator have date stamps on them You'd be looking for a 7 or 8N for August 1957. The 7 is July but not unusual for components to predate the car by a month or so.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bang bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the info where do I find that info on the distributor?

The generator I currently have has a big nut which I am also assuming is incorrect and should be a small nut thin slot?

Thanks
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

generator date code. The big and smaller pulley nuts are interchangeable.

distributor date code location

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bang bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Hi Guys i have found a distributor for a kombi-VJ4BR8, it has a code on it as 6L. How do i know what year it is ? Does the 6 mean June? it also has a faded tag,would this be from blasting or is it an earlier one than my bus of August 1957.I would normally see the tag as black and silver where this is just silver.

Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Date coding thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505

6L = June, 1955

Faded might be normal, some are faded looking and some are bright.
I'm not sure why but I think the reason has been posted in the past, hopefully someone else can remind us why
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Bosch changed the appearance of their distributor badges frequently. The most common finish was a dull black background with grey letters that appears all silver after cleaning and light polish. The shiny black background with shiny silver digits being referenced above was used in the early 1950's and then again in the 1960's where there were more distributors made and thusly
surviving. ie: all of the 010 and 019's out there. A June 1955 distributor falls into the dull black background grey digits period. There was even a brief period when the background was dull grey and the digits were black. Here is a similar date range black background grey digits that unrestored:

My conclusion is that it was simply a matter of fashion of the day.

An August of 1957 badge would also be black background grey letters.

Bang bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback this far.

Been a great help.

I have found another distributor but it has the code on it VJR4 BR8. It is the correct month for the bus, but wondering if this dizzy was originally for a bus as i usually only see VJ4BR8 in buses?

Thanks
tasb

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Both badges were issued simultaniously. The "R" in the badge is German for resistor in the rotor. Since that's an easy interchange use eitherr one. The resistor helped reduce radio static/interference. The R was common on later distributors, much less common on earlier ones.

Bang bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Hi all, still doing bits and peices on my 36 hp engine build

I have recently got my case back from getting machined and they have cleaned,but would like the out side apperance to be better.

I have done some reading and thinking i would like to soda blast just the outside and leave the oil galley plugs in place,is this ok ?

What would be the best way to ensure all particles are removed and the case is clean and ready for assembly?Clean with water etc or some sort of chemical?

Also once blasted is there any product i shall put on the case to protect it from oxidising again?

I am planning to paint the tin ware in the next week, was it originally painted satin black or semi gloss?

Greatful for any feed back or suggestions

Thanks
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Here's a great thread about cleaning 36 hp cases from the '"Vintage Speed" forum. I don't know about the hot tank advice, I wouldn't let just anyone try it on a mag case. Anyway, a good thread with pictures of results from a few different methods.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

And if you want to go all in on chemical treating your case, check out this thread from Mr. Okrasa. His engines are just beautiful.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=744853&highlight=
Bang bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Thanks for those links very helpful. Those Mr Okrasa cases looks so clean.

Am i safe to say i should be ok to soda blast the case and then ensure it nice and clean, leave oil galley plugs in place and then give to mechanic to put back together?

Appreciate any input as this is the first old motor i have had done up.
Bang bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Hi Guys.

I haven't had much luck finding a 36 hp bus exhaust, does anyone have any feedback on the Wolfsburg west bus exhaust or recommend another alternative.

Thanks

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211251051b
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: August 1957 36 hp engine Reply with quote

Bang bus wrote:
Hi Guys.

I haven't had much luck finding a 36 hp bus exhaust, does anyone have any feedback on the Wolfsburg west bus exhaust or recommend another alternative.

Thanks

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211251051b

I am not much of a fan of the aftermarket single tip 36hp mufflers. For that price an NOS can be found. Usually there is one listed on here at most times. I have a few used originals I keep around due to this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: