Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Coupe Rear Seat
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fk63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

Does anybody know if the upholstery on the rear seat of a KG coupe is solid (one piece) base & back or does it have insert like the front seats? Photos would be great. I'm restoring a 66 but can't find any info that is conclusive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GHIA COUPE REAR SEAT Reply with quote

Hey Frank, if you have the hound's-tooth cloth insert in the front seats the rear seat is all cloth faces with a vinyl border; if it has the basket weave vinyl insert rear seat has 2 panels of basket weave separated by 3 panels of smooth vinyl.

I may be wrong, but that's what I have seen. the collective will correct me if I'm wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fk63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: GHIA COUPE REAR SEAT Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin

Been searching the web and The samba gallery but no pictures of the rear seating.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

fk63 wrote:
Does anybody know if the upholstery on the rear seat of a KG coupe is solid (one piece) base & back or does it have insert like the front seats? Photos would be great. I'm restoring a 66 but can't find any info that is conclusive.

Would be better if you kept the discussion of your "66 interior confined to the first thread rather then starting up a new one. Consider making that thread apply for the whole restoration project?

Here's a picture of a Coupe rear seat from the Gallery. I used the search term "rear seat" and selected the Ghia coupe gallery.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That photo is on page 20 of the thread.. "The Idiot's Guide to Original Karmann Ghia Interiors"
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=383
There's so much information in that thread I'm sure you'll sink hours learning what the collective have shared.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
fk63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

New to posting. I wasn't sure as it was a different question.
I'll keep any further posts/question within the initial subject.
Thanks for your tip and reply.
Question answered.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

fk63 wrote:
New to posting. I wasn't sure as it was a different question.
I'll keep any further posts/question within the initial subject.
Thanks for your tip and reply.
Question answered.

You're very welcome.
I'm looking forward to the results you get with your '66. As you may have gathered, mine's also a '66 and there's not many of that year in Australia. I've only seen one other and unlike mine it was an RHD delivered unit.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

Here's a thread from the stickies with lots of great info on Ghia interiors. You might find your answer here.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198027

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

fk63 wrote:

This is not my car but it has the same back seat configuration. But I think this is a lowlight and I am not sure 66 would be the same.

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

My 62 German delivery has cloth inserts (red with white vinyl) on the fronts, but the rear was Mcoded for red vinyl.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

fk63 wrote:

66 had a full face insert on the rear seat, of the same material as the front seat insert. So if the front was cloth, the rear was cloth. Front basketweave, then rear basketweave.
66 also had no seams or pleats on the rear seat, like earlier cars. I'm not sure when the rear seat pleats were added, but it was later.

Here is a link to the dealer listing where Larmo63's car eventually ended up. It has tons of detailed photos that will be a help in your restoration
https://www.colomemotors.com/1966-volkswagen-ghia-diamond

I know Larmo63 through 914 ownership on the 914world forum. He offered me this car privately in Nov 2018 for $21k. I stupidly turned it down, and now three years later I'll end up spending more than that re-creating it Embarassed

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

Well their you go, full basket weave vinyl on the back seat face.
fk63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

It's amazing that with the collective knowledge of the members on this forum there is always something to be learnt about these cars. I'm not sure if it just the KG 66 but IMO it looks like they threw the construction manual out and put cars together with piles of left over parts. I guess that is what make these cars/model unique!
My new moto
Live and learn when dealing with a 66 KG!

Thanks all for the input.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

fk63 wrote:
I'm not sure if it just the KG 66 but IMO it looks like they threw the construction manual out and put cars together with piles of left over parts.

Here's something else interesting about the 66 model year. If yours was one of the first few hundred made that year (between VIN 146000000 and 146276509), then very likely it isn't meant to have the "volkswagen" logo on the engine lid. I learned about this while stripping my car to bare metal, and it had no holes in the engine lid for the logo.
I think the theory is that since 66 was the first year for the newer volkswagen logo, and at the beginning of production the new logos hadn't come in yet, so the cars were simply made without them.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746841&highlight=

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daniellemurphya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

I am looking for a rear seat back rest for a 72 ghia
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Coupe Rear Seat Reply with quote

daniellemurphya wrote:
I am looking for a rear seat back rest for a 72 ghia

You need to look in the classifieds
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...=rear+seat

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: