Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Balancing engine parts at home.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm gearing up to start an engine build and am curious about balancing parts at home vs sending them out. Specifically the rods and pistons.

The rotating assembly was already balanced by my engine builder which included the rods and pistons. Unfortunately he won't be building my engine so I have all the pieces now and am going to tackle the build myself.

The rods I have are rebuilt stock VW but I want to go with I-beams. Pistons are 94's but I'm using thick wall 92's instead.

Am I doing any harm by balancing the rod and pistons separate from the rotating assembly? I don't believe I would be but want to double check.

I have a scale that can get down to tenths of a gram and would need to fab a rod jig which looks simple enough.

Thanks everyone for the help, NAES
SBS #00
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

Yep...

I do rods and pistons al the time at home now.
Don't bother sending them out and paying anymore.

Make sure to jig it up so all of the little ends of the rods weigh the same,
Then all of the big ends..
Then see that the overall weight matches on all four (of course). Wink

A normal postal scale goes to a tenth of a gram typically.
Blow a tiny puff of air to see it react and get it within that, even.

Pics in the bus motor in my sig.

What’s That Noise?!?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

The Machinist that balanced my last engine told me that he either balances it all or he will not take on the job. Simple quality control. If my work is bad and the engine runs poorly because of it then it's his reputation that's on the line not mine. I get it.

Interestingly, the pistons I gave him were a used set that I had balanced 25 years ago and run for many miles. He only changed the weight on one of them by 1/2 gram!

I have balanced my own rods and pistons for years. My feeling is that even if they are not perfect, any improvement over out of the box is good.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

My Moresa 85.5mm pistons and wrist pins were remarkably close in weight when I assembled my engine in 2016-2017. I had new CB connecting rods, they were close too. So I didn't need to assign a connecting rod to a certain piston, and balance that way.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

if you need general ideas for designing the con rod jig heres my thread,

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=747672&highlight=
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

I can't imagine balancing rods and pistons/pins separate from the crank and flywheel would pose any risk. I did it and my engine runs pretty smooth. This was my first time balancing everything and it was kind of a fun learning experience. I didn't have a way to balance the crank and flywheel so just left it as it came from the factory (flywheel and crank are original and never ground). Made sure to index the flywheel to its original position.

I balanced the pistons to the gram including wrist pins. I then made sure each was balanced with the corresponding rod. I made a rod balancing jig and balanced them end-to-end. There are a lot of examples here and also on youtube.

I also made this contraption to balance the clutch with the flywheel. It uses some bearings I found in my coffee-can-o-parts and I just shimmed them with tape to fit the flywheel and pressure plate holes. I used some claybar blobs to identify where I needed to remove weight from the pressure plate. I also found that the bolts and washers weight varied. Before I drilled anything, I first moved the bolts around and also repositioned and indexed the pressure plate. That made the biggest difference. In the end I only had to remove about 2 grams by drilling in the area where the factory balancing holes were. I got it to the point where it would stop rotating at a different point each time so I called it good. If there is a slight imbalance, the amount is less than that required to overcome the friction in the bearings (not much): https://youtu.be/6nLLmm9V6PU

Last edited by frenchroast on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

I imagine you could balance them, then take them to the shop. He will discover that they are good and not have to charge you the labor to balance them.

I kind of understand the guys concerns. Many folks have no idea where and how to remove material to balance things. Take it from the wrong place, and you have weakened the part.

I saw a guy bring a set of Diesel rods for his pulling tractor to a shop for shot-peen and balance. The customer had done some "light weighting" to the rods prior. They looked pretty sketchy for a Diesel.

The shop owner put a big disclaimer on the bill.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
I can't imagine balancing rods and pistons/pins separate from the crank and flywheel would pose any risk.

I can't imagine how they could possible be balanced WITH the crank and flywheel. Spinning that assembly up invokes visions of dancing balance machines and flying bits in my mind with loose rod small ends flinging around! What am i missing here?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
frenchroast wrote:
I can't imagine balancing rods and pistons/pins separate from the crank and flywheel would pose any risk.

I can't imagine how they could possible be balanced WITH the crank and flywheel. Spinning that assembly up invokes visions of dancing balance machines and flying bits in my mind with loose rod small ends flinging around! What am i missing here?

They use dummy weights
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

There are alot of things that are important to do, the first on the list of a rebuild is balance the engine.

I have done the rods and pistons alone on my first builds years ago to save money. The pistons usually are very close, so taking off a bit of weight is no big deal.

I agree with Oprn. The cost of doing it correctly, crank, flywheel, clutch is the most expensive, adding on the rods is not going to break the bank.

Any issues fall on the machinist.

My guy even puts small wedges between the clutch and the flywheel, so nothing is moved when installing to prevent even the slightest removal of metal if parts scraped each other.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
There are alot of things that are important to do, the first on the list of a rebuild is balance the engine.

I have done the rods and pistons alone on my first builds years ago to save money. The pistons usually are very close, so taking off a bit of weight is no big deal.

I agree with Oprn. The cost of doing it correctly, crank, flywheel, clutch is the most expensive, adding on the rods is not going to break the bank.

Any issues fall on the machinist.

My guy even puts small wedges between the clutch and the flywheel, so nothing is moved when installing to prevent even the slightest removal of metal if parts scraped each other.
so... how does he get those small weddges perfectly evenly spaced and perfectly on center???? if he is doing that I for sure would not be using him to do my stuff.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
oprn wrote:
frenchroast wrote:

They use dummy weights
so..the dummy waits out side while the front office fills out the bill..... no weights required for these engines.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

and too add to toms deisel post....Ive seen some pure junk that somebody thought they had helped by doing their own handy work, lightening, surfacing,sand blasting, porting etc. you cant fix stupid. and almost as much shit like that cumming from other shops....yes cumming, as somebody for sure got fucked.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
oprn wrote:
frenchroast wrote:

They use dummy weights
so..the dummy waits out side while the front office fills out the bill..... no weights required for these engines.

Yes it was my understanding that the dummy weights were for "V" engines mostly.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
oprn wrote:
frenchroast wrote:

They use dummy weights

Yes it was my understanding that the dummy weights were for "V" engines mostly.
.............................................................................................................a big yes spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

i have seen clutch pressure plates out of balance . a lot of guys over look balancing a clutch pressure plate . spencerfvee
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

My Machinist said of all the parts he balances the pressure plates are the furthest out as a rule.

Back to Balancing things at home, years ago I built a Rabbit engine, took the crank to have it balanced. The shop owner didn't charge me full price because he said he could not improve on the factory balance. I did the rods and pistons myself.

A couple years later we moved and I flat towed the car but I accidently left it in 1st gear. So it got towed for 1 hour at 60 mph in 1st gear before I checked out what my wife was saying about something not being right(she was driving the tow vehicle). I have no idea really what RPM that would be - 15,000? Anyway it ran fine for several years after that and I'm sure will still run if I were to start it back up.

There is an acid test for home balancing... not?
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

My guy high speed balances the crank, flywheel with clutch and marks each piece with and engraving tool with a small arrow.

My brother and I had exact same 1600 1968 bugs his was stock factory balanced and mine was was done at the shop.

You can easyerly feel and see the difference. Actually can feel a hp gain.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

Isn’t it fairly inexpensive for an engine balance? Moonshine did my last one years ago and I don’t think I e spent more than a couple hundred
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

Supply and demand, balancing is so important that you want recommendations .

Any one that rebuilds an engine and does not balance is, nuts.

That said you want the best, so much depends on balancing.

A couple of hundred sounds like a lot, but if I had no choice I would gladly hand over the money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: