Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

I was working today, and a guy came through the drive-through with what looked like a Ghia, but when I asked, he said it was a “Portia/Porscha” (not exactly sure how to spell it). According to him, it would be a bit of an insult to refer to a “Portia” as a Ghia. We ended up chatting, as I said I’m a bit of a VW geek, which is why I though it was a Ghia, and turns out he owned some Bugs previously, which makes me think that the “Portia” has something to do with Volkswagen. Now I’m wondering though, what exactly is a “Portia”? A quick web search yields nothing helpful, and I was hoping someone here could clear this up.

Thanks in advance
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

Seriously? If you’re such a VW guy how have you not heard of the man who designed the beetle? Porsche is his name. Google the pronunciation.
Otherwise we can just assume you’re winding us up Laughing
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

I’m mostly basing this off of the fact that the guy said his car wasn’t a Ghia. I would’ve bet money that it was a Ghia, but he seemed pretty firm on the point that it wasn’t. That’s the only reason I’m confused. Is he wrong?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

I think Porsches don't look at all like a Ghia but to some people say they do. It might have been a 356 or a 911 which could be argued are similar.
Here's a 911
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a 356C
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Did your guy have one of these? or something else?

The correct pronunciation does make it sound like Por-Sha with the last sound syllable would more like truncated "eh"... but I'm no linguist.

Nicholas
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

I think it was a 350. That looks a lot like what he had. The bumper was a big factor in me thinking it was a Ghia. Plus, there were what looked like Wolfsburg crest on the steering wheel.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

In germany they call a bug a KUGELPORSCHE. Old vw's have asomekind relationship with old Porsches.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

Satou wrote:
I was working today, and a guy came through the drive-through with what looked like a Ghia, but when I asked, he said it was a “Portia/Porscha” (not exactly sure how to spell it). According to him, it would be a bit of an insult to refer to a “Portia” as a Ghia. We ended up chatting, as I said I’m a bit of a VW geek, which is why I though it was a Ghia, and turns out he owned some Bugs previously, which makes me think that the “Portia” has something to do with Volkswagen. Now I’m wondering though, what exactly is a “Portia”? A quick web search yields nothing helpful, and I was hoping someone here could clear this up.

Thanks in advance

I honestly can't tell if this is meant to be funny or if it's serious.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:

Me neither. So I’m compelled to give him benefit of the doubt… but he wants to be spoon fed. It’s as if Google doesn’t exist in his world.
Nicholas
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

Me neither. So I’m compelled to give him benefit of the doubt… but he wants to be spoon fed. It’s as if Google doesn’t exist in his world.
Nicholas

So I didn’t realise Porsche was pronounced Portia. Sue me.
Besides, Googling “relationship between Portia and Ghia” didn’t really yield anything helpful. I figured it would be better if I asked people with experience in these types of things.

End Result: He didn’t have a Ghia, it was most likely a Porsche, which is not spelled phonetically, as it turns out.
You learn something new every day, it seems
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

Seriously recommend the Mods lock this topic out so we don't become phonetically dumber.

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

Does anyone remember that movie “A fish called Wanda” where Kevin Klein’s character is dumbfounded that anyone would name their daughter after a car? Laughing
Nicholas
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: What is a Portia (Porscha?) - Ghia look-alike mystery Reply with quote

Well mystery solved...we move on. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: