Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a 72 Super
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

I FINALLY got my hardware and was able to go back to work. Slow process and small steps. Since I am very OCD with this shit I had to paint all the bolt heads in POR15 so nothing appears to be unfinished and at the end of the day is protected from rust.
So while the wife and kid were out I started my reassembly process. The hardware for the master cylinder (from cip1.com) arrived. The junkyard in CA I ordered the mounting hardware from did not include the spacers but now I have brand new hardware! Nothing wrong there. Then I mounted (temporarily) the pedal assembly from Cool Rydes. Everything seemed ok but there is no return spring on the gas pedal. I'm currently awaiting a response from their representative. I plan on pulling the assembly back off and painting the bare metal base. But it's in place for the moment. Then I routed the clutch cable. I also intend on purchasing the clutch pedal shaft upgrade from a member of the forums. Either way, thank god I cut the access hole on the opposite side of the tunnel. That would be a bitch to route that clutch cable without it!
Then the frustrations began again. I did not receive the accelerator cable I ordered. No dog leg end. I calmed myself so I didn't throw shit in the garage. Only to find out the accelerator cable Bowden tube I ordered is not correct either. Nor is the damn boot that attaches to the frame where the clutch cable and accelerator cable come out the back end. With all the time I spent waiting on parts to come in, this was the last thing I needed in this moment. Good news to report...nobody and nothing was harmed in my fit of rage.
I have a dude up the road working on building my transmission. I hope to see it done in February. In the meantime, I'll assemble around that part. I can accomplish the trailing arms, rear disk brakes and brake lines at this point.
I know from other builders that you should always name your project. I wish I could modify my post title to reflect this. Welcome to Project VOLKSDRAGON! A former teammate of mine is a graphic designer so I asked if he could do some covert art for me. I told him what was in my head and he drew damn near exactly what I described. You will see this logo again in the future. (Since I do occasional work at the US Patent and Trademark Office in WDC I'm thinking I will TM this logo. I've said it...if anyone on here thinks they can beat me to it and steal my shit, I have a certain set of skills...)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

Cool logo!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

I took a really long break from working on the VDub. Winter's cold weather never bothers me but my garage seemed mighty cold for some reason. I had a small issue with my torsion bar spring plates and trailing arms not lining up. (which turned out to not really be an issue once I pulled my head out of my nether regions.) And then I could get back to work.

Today's work was rear bearings and stub axles. It would also be rear brakes but I need to order a part that I somehow overlooked.

The stub axles (someone jog my memory if you know what I'm talking about) are a conversion Type 2 to Type 1 or something like that. They're built to be installed on Beetles but have much higher strength for high performance engines. They cost a little. I had a slight issue with the outer bearings since they are two piece and don't "slide" onto the axle as well a I'd hoped. So, the gland nut removal tool came in handy.

Once my bearing caps arrive I'll get the brakes installed and then start working on my brake lines. I tossed the original brake lines by mistake. So, my dumb ass has to do it from scratch. That could be a long (ish) day. I also ordered my Pro Drag transmission from Rancho the other week. Should be here in about another 6 weeks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

Your clutch pedal metal stop is bent. That "J"-shaped stop should be parallel to the front bulkhead.

Here's a stock assembly where you can see the correct bend. You can easily bend yours with a thin-jaw vise grip held close to the pedal, and bend the stop outwards. vinnems gallery, coincidentally also a Super Beetle.
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

Freakin.... Awesome .....Floor .....Pan..... Dude Cool Cool Cool Cool

BTY Did you POR15 leave bumps???? Question Question Question Or was it perfectly smooth Question Question
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Your clutch pedal metal stop is bent. That "J"-shaped stop should be parallel to the front bulkhead.

Here's a stock assembly where you can see the correct bend. You can easily bend yours with a thin-jaw vise grip held close to the pedal, and bend the stop outwards. vinnems gallery, coincidentally also a Super Beetle.

Thanks Rome. I hadn't paid notice to it. That's exactly how I got it from Cool Rydes Customs. I'll shoot them an email just to inform them in the event it was a packaging flaw.
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

fredybear wrote:
Freakin.... Awesome .....Floor .....Pan..... Dude Cool Cool Cool Cool

BTY Did you POR15 leave bumps???? Question Question Question Or was it perfectly smooth Question Question

Thanks so much Fredybear!
I did not get any bumps. For the most part it applied very well. from what I understand from previous users of POR15 the bumps may be the result of air bubbles. The POR15 website specifically mentions NOT to shake the can prior to using as that will create a crapload of air bubbles.
If you look at other photos in my thread, I first sandblasted the frame, steering and suspension parts and then coated them all. They look fantastic. I am going through the very slow process of coating the bolt heads of all the new hardware. Very little sanding has to be done to get bolts through their holes where some of the POR15 got into with a small drip.
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

I'm learning. I swear I am. As I continue to try to work on this car I have to remind myself there's an easier way to do things. At this point I learned it's easier to lay out all the parts you intend to use for the next install to verify you actually have all the parts you need.

That said, I got to work on the rear brake install. I ordered the EMPI disk brake conversion kit about 1.5 years ago. Hadn't opened the boxes with the rotors. So, much to my surprise I find out I ordered a basic setup. Not the "premium" I actually wanted. So, I just ordered the rotors I wanted and (again) have to wait for parts to come in to continue work. (These F and R rotors are for sale in the classifieds by the way...)

With any luck, my boneheadedness should be close to eradicated.
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

For reference, I'm looking to go with one of CB Performance's Turbo engines. As most of you already know, this could be the single most expensive part of a performance build. Last I checked they can do a 2332 with turbo and EFI at or around 300+HP and it'll cost you about $20k.
So, perhaps I'll drop the EFI and bring that cost down about $2-3k. Unless I come into a lot of money... For obvious reasons, this will probably be the last part of the assembly. In just a few short weeks I can drop the body off at a shop for bodywork and paint. After that I can think about electrical. After that, interior. Then steering and fuel system, so on and so on. Engine may have to come last because I'm not sure which bank to rob just yet.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

Just for your info. If you go adding that many horsies to the car, you are going to have to beef up the transmission and the cv joints. They will not hold up. The stock tranny is good to about 80hp, then shit comes apart. CVS are good to about 150hp but then they go south, so with a 190hp beast like that, you got some improvements to make.

Also, adding in a mid mount and a Kafer bar would be on my list for that beast, too! That engine will rip the car apart, so be sure to account for that in your build!

Keep going and be sure to keep the kids involved as long as you can! Mine used to be out in the garage with me. But now they have their own lives to live. They at least still manage to walk through the garage and ask great questions. I think that is due to me involving them and listening to them through the years! Girls need to be heard and I do my best to just listen.

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Just for your info. If you go adding that many horsies to the car, you are going to have to beef up the transmission and the cv joints. They will not hold up. The stock tranny is good to about 80hp, then shit comes apart. CVS are good to about 150hp but then they go south, so with a 190hp beast like that, you got some improvements to make.

Also, adding in a mid mount and a Kafer bar would be on my list for that beast, too! That engine will rip the car apart, so be sure to account for that in your build!

Keep going and be sure to keep the kids involved as long as you can! Mine used to be out in the garage with me. But now they have their own lives to live. They at least still manage to walk through the garage and ask great questions. I think that is due to me involving them and listening to them through the years! Girls need to be heard and I do my best to just listen.

Good luck!

I'm on it VW Jimbo! I just ordered a Pro Drag trans from Rancho the other week. It's rated for the hp I'm looking for. Stub axles are rated for the hp I'm looking for. CV's are next.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

Nice!!!!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

While I wait for the new rotors to arrive I decided to do a quick mock up of the rear calipers just to see how it will look like when I'm done. I'll be out of town for a few days so when I return the parts I just ordered should be waiting on me.

You can see that the gap between rotor and caliper (on the R side at least) looks about right so probably no need to use the shims. We'll see when everything goes on. Also, you'll note the paint chips on the caliper. This really pisses me off since I took a lot of time to clean, etch, mask, prime, paint, reassemble, etc and STILL suffered some chips. If there's anything I consider myself good at, it's painting. I'm going to possibly upgrade to a set of Willwood calipers in the future. But it doesn't keep me from losing my shit over some paint chips. LOL!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

Spray some paint out of the can, and onto a paper plate. Then get a good quality artist brush and brush some of the paint that is on the plate and brush it onto the caliper.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

I just got back from a week away from home. My new rotors came in so I wanted to get to work swapping them out. I knew there would be some adjusting that may need to be made along the way. For example, I started on the R side and found that I needed to use one of my original spacers to get the right fit so the rotor doesn't scrape the caliper. (As I noted from a video, this may be normal and may not be needed on both sides.) It looks as though it may be necessary on the L side but my other spacer is cracked clear through as seen in the picture. I know i can buy a new one but I'm losing patience (I'll find it) looking for an old one worn enough to get the right fitment.

Beyond that, I installed the R side strut with no issues. The L side lower strut mount is slightly bent. To the point that I really can't squeeze it in and call it a day. Anyone got any good ideas here? I'm looking around my garage to find something to place inside so I can beat on it and try and flatten it out. Apparently, my "shop" doesn't have a whole lot of small pieces of scrap metal and I'm not looking to use heat since that'll require a ton of rework with the POR15 that I am fresh out of.

Then I have to cut some small reliefs in the transmission mount bracket (to the frame horns) to fit the mounting tabs for the rear truss bar. Transmission should be here in a few short weeks. I gotta get it fitted and continue on with my brake lines and frame seal to wrap up the frame.

r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

After much banging using various items around the garage I finally decided to just break out the Dremel. I shaved off just enough metal to squeak the strut into it's new home. Maybe a mm or two. With that done I broke out the Rear Truss Bar and started to mock it up just a little bit. I still have to measure for cuts on the trans mount for the lower truss mount tabs but that's not going to take too much time.

Honestly, at this point I'm more concerned about my brakes. There is no rubbing at all on the R side but I have not torqued down the castle nut yet. The L side looks like it'll be an issue. I may just have to call over a buddy who knows brakes better than me (I don't know brakes...) and see what he suggests. Either way, I'm not comfortable with what I have thus far and it's kinda slowing me down some.

r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

Haven't done any work on her this week. My kids just showed up for their week vacation and my niece is spending some time with us while they are here. So there's two (new) Beetle's in my driveway. Best part, one of my kids stays with me for the summer so I have an extra set of hands to assist!

This weekend I'll be spending some time detailing my daughter's Beetle. Her first car. (Much like her old man!) This thing needs a bath! My latest venture is auto detailing so it's kinda cool that my kids bring me their cars to practice on. (I don't want to practice on my Ram Rebel or Ducati...lol!) I'll post before and afters. If things go the way I'd like, I may turn this "therapy" into a small business. My problem though, I'm a perfectionist. So, what the pros can do in 6 hours will initially take me two days. Ya know...until I get my practices and processes figured out.
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

While I still wait for for someone to come over and assist with sanity checking my brakes I got the suspension done (that was a previous post) and fully mocked up the Truss Bar. The only issue I have is the lower mount tabs have to go directly to the frame horns which means I have to carefully measure and cut the trans mount to fit around those tabs. If anyone has ever done this before, can you confirm that the cuts I need to make will not cause a tremendous loss of structural strength? After all, it will be supporting a trans...

Beyond that, I'm another week closer to the delivery of the Rancho Pro Drag. That's kind of exciting!

I'm (still...) working to clear the heater cable tubes. 3 of them are fine. The lower tube on the L side was blocked with either dirt or a bug home. I used an old wire hanger to at least break it up. Then used a straw to get some hot water in there and blow it out. But the wire hanger doesn't like the damn near 90* turn and that's where I still have some build up that's preventing the end of the cable from going completely through. The irony...I'm not even hooking up heat to this car. LOL! (OCD is an SOB!)

Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

When you are ready to take your bug to the paint shop I hope you will use the resources necessary to do it right so that it only has to be done once. Is that light gray color on the body from lacquer primer? If so that primer is porous and will already have the beginnings of rust on the surface of your metal. It's also brittle. A good paint job begins at bare metal. First coat needs to be zinc
chromate so rust is kept away from ferrous metal. I recommend high-build
urethane primer for the next coats so that tiny imperfections can easily be blocked out. Urethane primers have great elasticity so as to resist chipping. Remember, if your primer chips underneath the paint there's nothing holding the paint to the body. Whichever paint system is chosen will include a sealer that is designed to be used under the paint. Find a modern shop that understands these principals of rust prevention and paint adhesion. The sun is what kills paint jobs. The color coat of your system is the least important coating! The multiple layers of clear need to provide the UV light protection unless you like a "satin" finish. These clears can be sanded and buffed- out to give that slick shine we all love. Cheap doesn't last.
P.S.: You're doing a great job so far!!!!!
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought a 72 Super Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
When you are ready to take your bug to the paint shop I hope you will use the resources necessary to do it right so that it only has to be done once. Is that light gray color on the body from lacquer primer? If so that primer is porous and will already have the beginnings of rust on the surface of your metal. It's also brittle. A good paint job begins at bare metal. First coat needs to be zinc
chromate so rust is kept away from ferrous metal. I recommend high-build
urethane primer for the next coats so that tiny imperfections can easily be blocked out. Urethane primers have great elasticity so as to resist chipping. Remember, if your primer chips underneath the paint there's nothing holding the paint to the body. Whichever paint system is chosen will include a sealer that is designed to be used under the paint. Find a modern shop that understands these principals of rust prevention and paint adhesion. The sun is what kills paint jobs. The color coat of your system is the least important coating! The multiple layers of clear need to provide the UV light protection unless you like a "satin" finish. These clears can be sanded and buffed- out to give that slick shine we all love. Cheap doesn't last.
P.S.: You're doing a great job so far!!!!!

Totally understand! I plan on dropping the body off in a few weeks at Cooker's VW in Maryland. I've surfed their website and talked directly to Cooker himself. The are paint and body pros...not Earl Schieb. LOL! Hence why my custom paint is going to be an expensive endeavor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: