Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found the PERFECT USB+C charger volt meter with a on off switch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Found the PERFECT USB+C charger volt meter with a on off switch Reply with quote

Just thought I’d share because previously I had been wanting to wire up a tiny toggle switch to turn on and off the volt meter so the light wasn’t always on at night. I just stumbled across this online on Amazon and am elated to see a product with all 4 things I wanted to install, in one package.

I have not tested this product out yet but will once it arrives. I’m sure you can find these on eBay etc too. They also have double USB ports if you’re don’t want a usb C port (for faster charging as well as charging iPads / new laptops)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XLKX832/ref=cm_sw_r_c...&psc=1
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Found the PERFECT USB+C charger volt meter with a on off switch Reply with quote

It's good to see you found a great solution for your needs.

Perfect in this regard seems to last about 6 - 18 months. Here's the usb charger port I bought last August. It was a nice replacement for the 1.0/1.5 amp chargers that preceded it. It's not USB C ready for the devices moving to that. I figure it will last as long as some of the earlier solutions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZK1KQHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Murphy's law is having a heyday on some perfect things.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Found the PERFECT USB+C charger volt meter with a on off switch Reply with quote

OldSpice wrote:
Just thought I’d share because previously I had been wanting to wire up a tiny toggle switch to turn on and off the volt meter so the light wasn’t always on at night. I just stumbled across this online on Amazon and am elated to see a product with all 4 things I wanted to install, in one package.

I have not tested this product out yet but will once it arrives. I’m sure you can find these on eBay etc too. They also have double USB ports if you’re don’t want a usb C port (for faster charging as well as charging iPads / new laptops)
<USB>

I had two of these as well as 2 x 12v in a home made plywood solution in the previous van. Worked well.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Found the PERFECT USB+C charger volt meter with a on off switch Reply with quote

During college I worked in the a cell phone repair shop and seen many swollen phones due to low quality chargers. They basically overcharge your phone.

Huge fan of the Blue Seas 1045 4.8A Dual USB charger:
-No annoying lights
-No annoying switches
-1ma parasitic draw when not used
-Lifetime warranty
-Simple it just always works!

My phone was $1200 and USB-C. I use a usb to USB-C cable however maybe OP needs to charge a laptop through that.

/r/BuyItForLife

charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Found the PERFECT USB+C charger volt meter with a on off switch Reply with quote

I got all excited when it said usb-c… but then its all usb-b.

Anyone have good C recommendations?

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Found the PERFECT USB+C charger volt meter with a on off switch Reply with quote

QC PD 3.0 STD... good article explaining the different charging standards.

https://nerdtechy.com/pd-3-qc-3-difference

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Found the PERFECT USB+C charger volt meter with a on off switch Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
During college I worked in the a cell phone repair shop and seen many swollen phones due to low quality chargers. They basically overcharge your phone.

Huge fan of the Blue Seas 1045 4.8A Dual USB charger:
-No annoying lights
-No annoying switches
-1ma parasitic draw when not used
-Lifetime warranty
-Simple it just always works!

My phone was $1200 and USB-C. I use a usb to USB-C cable however maybe OP needs to charge a laptop through that.

/r/BuyItForLife

I'm a user of these Blue Seas USB Chargers too!
I have 4 of them in my Syncro. 2 on the dashboard- 1 running off the normal electric system and the other running off the Aux. Batteries.
The 2 in the back are located near the bench seat and the other is on the closet wall in the bed area. Both of these are powered off the Aux. Batteries.
I have USB powered fans and run 3 or 4 all night long off them to keep air moving inside.

You cannot run a fan and charge at the same time-a fan uses more of the output then charging the phone or tablet so there's not enough power even at 2.4A to do both.
Charging a phone is relatively quick by itself.

I also have 3 Blue Seas cigarette plug outlets and run a Engle fridge and CPAP machine off them as well.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Found the PERFECT USB+C charger volt meter with a on off switch Reply with quote

I like the off buttons. When you get a lot of these spread all over the van that can add up, and depending where they are they can disturb sleep.

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I always thought the phones had the smarts and the chargers were kinda dumb.
Then came QC3.0 chargers which can negotiate with the device.
Not that both sides smarter guarantees a better outcome, in social media the lowest common denominator can dominate the outcome.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Found the PERFECT USB+C charger volt meter with a on off switch Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
QC PD 3.0 STD... good article explaining the different charging standards.

https://nerdtechy.com/pd-3-qc-3-difference

Be aware if its like the previous revision of that same charger (Which I have installed in my rig) the PD negotiation is flakey. It'll negotiate fine with my Pixel 5, but not with my Macbook. If I plug the port into a portable PD compatible hub/dock THEN it will SOMETIMES charge my macbook. But not always.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: