Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Balancing engine parts at home.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

Cost is not the deterrent for me, availability is. It's a 5 hour drive to get engine parts balanced and driving it is cheaper than shipping heavy engine parts at this point in time. Shipping would double the cost of the job.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

Oprn funny you said that, with a T-4 engine in a bug, especially 30 years ago there was not much of choice for stainless steel Exhausts.

Went thru several Thunderbird exhausts and found a company in the UK. Justkempers. I called the guy and said I got what you want for $250 ( great price ) but it is going to cost you a lot more to shop it.

I asked were he was and he said 5 miles out from London. I told him to send it to Otis Elevator. Shipping was $15 and Otis sent it to me in NYC no charge.

Our shipping dept guy scratched his head, what the heck!!!

The company is Bluebird, excellent stainless steel systems!

Same exhaust 30 year later.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

Contrary to popular belief..... you don't HAVE to send your stuff to get balanced........ You can just get the pistons and rods the same and still get plenty of miles out of the engine even revving to 5500 plus rpm.

My engine had the pistons balanced to the same weight and the rods were balanced to the same weight. Not end for end just same gross weight. It spent nine years putting out 200 hp with a turbo up to 5800 rpm with a stock crank. Upon inspection this winter the crank and rod bearings were perfect and the thrust was in spec. It could have gone another 40,000 miles if needed.

YMMV........

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

Rods and Pistons are so easy to match up for weight that it makes perfect sense to do at home. Anybody with a postal scale and a grinder of some sort can do it so long as they take their time and pay attention. I've done a few and it's usually actually a pretty quick job, as most are fairly close. A tenth of a gram is surprisingly easy to reach assuming your scale is accurate enough.

Crank and flywheel however I feel not terribly comfortable with. I've seen ideas for jigs but always felt it better to be done by a professional. Places like DPR will match a flywheel and crank before sending out to you. That and home balanced rods and slugs is pretty darn good for the average home engine build.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

When I sent my crank, flywheel and clutch, the machinist said I will never reach the RPM's he balanced my parts.

Can't imagine trying to do that level of balancing in my garage with file and drill.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

I would say I got very lucky on a set of AA P&Cs. 3 pistons with rings came in at 14.8oz. The other on is 14.9oz.

.1 oz is 2.8gm which is incredibly close for off the shelf stuff.
SBS #00
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Balancing engine parts at home. Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
Isn’t it fairly inexpensive for an engine balance? Moonshine did my last one years ago and I don’t think I e spent more than a couple hundred

keiths is priced well
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: