Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82cabby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

Hi all-

The car in question is a 1982 rabbit convertible, no A/C with the radiator style that does not have an external reservoir. The engine is actually from an 86 Golf GT but the cooling system is all original.

The cooling system works fine. The thermostat opens, the fan runs, heater blows hot air, etc. I measured the temperature of the coolant with the car warmed up and it is in spec. The temperature gauge seems to read correctly.

The problem is the red warning light often decides to start flashing. There doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.

Here it is with the car up to operating temp, fan is running coolant is about 180 degrees F.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I shut the car off, let it cool for 20 minutes, checked again and now it’s on even though the gauge reads lower:

Any insights would be much appreciated!
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

I had a mkII that would illuminate the light when the interior got hot. A fault in the cluster. I determined that after changing thermostat and fan switch and then checking temps with 2 VW's sitting side by side warming up.
82cabby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

Yeah, I’m afraid this is a cluster based issue. I’ve also installed a new thermostat and fan switch. I REALLY don’t want to pull the cluster out and replace this gauge if the problem is elsewhere so I’m willing to try almost anything else first.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

Gauge sender and/or related wiring could also be faulty.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82cabby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Gauge sender and/or related wiring could also be faulty.

Is the gauge sender the sensor on the flange that connects the block to the top of the radiator? There are two there I THINK the lower one in the photo is for the temperature gauge. I have cleaned the contacts on both but no change. I can try replacing it, it’s certainly easier than pulling the instrument cluster out.

Thank you for the help!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

Umm, what was done with the coolant level circuitry?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
82cabby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Umm, what was done with the coolant level circuitry?

I assume you are asking because of the engine swap? We only swapped the block and the head. Everything else stayed stock. Gained a little bit of displacement but a lot of compression.

It was done 10 years ago but from what I remember, later cars have a coolant level sensor in the overflow reservoir. This car never had an overflow reservoir so no coolant level sensor or circuitry. The electronics in the car are original as is the cooling system. The instrument cluster is from a different car but was a direct swap (it plugged right in). As far as I can tell there isn’t a coolant level sensor, but I could be dead wrong.

Whatever the problem is, it’s only been doing it a week, so something new has happened.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

It sounds like a coolest level sensor to me but who knows ,my Jetta does that Everytime the coollent is low but mine is newer w remote tank (95) Bill Vt and PR
82cabby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

Actually I’ve noticed a new aspect of the problem. It only happen when I start the car after the engine is warmed up. When the engine is cold and I start the car the light blinks several times then stops as is normal for start up. When I restart the engine and it’s hot the light blinks at start up and never turns off.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

Any progress on this blinking light problem?? My Eurovan 93 does it no matter what I disconnect. Temp if fine . Fluid level is fine fans turn on & off fine..It flashes all the time...This happened after I switched the instrument panel.so I had a miliage gauge... & temp gauge is inop. I'm thinking of black tape over it..thanks,Bill
82cabby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling light blinking but temperature is fine Reply with quote

Haven’t driven it much this season yet but it doesn’t seem to be doing it at the moment. I’ll update in a few weeks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: