Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternative shocks.. Recommendations
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureka117
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Alternative shocks.. Recommendations Reply with quote

I have a 70 KG Vert that has been modified

It presently has bad rear air shocks and is just clearing the rear tires.

The original rear suspension system is long gone, springs etc.

It has 165 x 80 x 15 tires running on nice rims and a 12k mileage Mofoco - VW Air-cooled 1600cc Premium Long block engine.

I want replace the air shocks.

Do I stay with air, go to gas, or oil? What brand?

A restore of the rear suspension to VW specifications is not an option.

What about different tires?

Exclamation Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative shocks.. Recommendations Reply with quote

Are the torsion bars still there?
if so they can be reset to give you a bit more clearance and I like Koni shocks, as they are adjustable.
good luck
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative shocks.. Recommendations Reply with quote

When I completed the resto on my Ghia I installed a set of Bilstein gas shocks. It's lowered about an inch all around. I found the ride to be very stiff so I switched to stock oil filled. The ride is dramatically better.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative shocks.. Recommendations Reply with quote

I’m running KYB Gas-A-Just on the rear and GR 2s on the front. I tried coil overs on the rear, air shocks on the rear, which always leaked but eventually I readjusted my torsion arms and got the wheels with an offset that would fit inside the space and everything is happy happy. Runs nice and straight and feels solid at 90 miles an hour.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative shocks.. Recommendations Reply with quote

I just went back to Sach's oem style oil shocks after years of KYB's. I prefer the oil shocks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative shocks.. Recommendations Reply with quote

Quote:
go to gas, or oil

A 'gas shock' is an oil shock that has 'gas' added that prevents, or helps prevent, foaming of the oil during heavy use. Stiffness comes from the 'valving' on the plunger inside of the shock be it with or without gas
VW Wiring = It's just wires
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative shocks.. Recommendations Reply with quote

I prefer the stiffer ride of the Bilstein shocks. While they do transmit more road feel, they also eliminate the wallowing and “porpoising” these cars exhibit over expansion joints & dips, none of which are ideal when cornering (or jumping.).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: