Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Luxury Tools
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

and when you don't have the luxury of luxury tools
but just gotta make it happen.
make some circlip chopsticks.
can't hotlink the image or upload it here on samba.
but it's making a circlip tool from a screwdriver and 2 hole saw bits.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachments/fb_img_1622042436468-jpg.662892/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
and when you don't have the luxury of luxury tools
but just gotta make it happen.
make some circlip chopsticks.
can't hotlink the image or upload it here on samba.
but it's making a circlip tool from a screwdriver and 2 hole saw bits.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachments/fb_img_1622042436468-jpg.662892/

Must be a member to view.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

ahh bugger

Much obliged Sanchius
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Last edited by danfromsyr on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

That's hilarious.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Yesterday I was at my mechanic's shop watching him diagnose an A/C clutch that wouldn't engage. He used a tool called a Power Probe that appears to be extremely handy. It gets connected to hot power and ground and then can be used as a DVM and a pos or negative source to diagnose problems. Basically, it combines a DVM, a test light, and a source of DC power and the 20' cord allows you to connect to power at the alt and reach the front of the van as needed.

For those wondering: he didn't charge me extra for watching and asking a few questions; he found multiple issues: a bad connection to the clutch and a bad pressure switch. The A/C is blowing cold now.

Does anyone have comments on this tool?

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Powerscan-PS100-Autom...NrPXRydWU=

In the meantime, I've made these luxurious 9' jumper cables with Schumacher 50 amp clips and clips and 6 awg wire found at a garage sale. Today I'll use these to bring battery power to the front of the van to diagnose a grumpy horn circuit. These probably won't be used to jump start a car (no one does that anymore with luxurious lithium battery jump start battery packs).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

You should probably go back and see if that guy still has a pulse, 'cuz he's givin' away sworn secrets of the trade. That's punishable by some pretty extreme measures

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You should probably go back and see if that guy still has a pulse, 'cuz he's givin' away sworn secrets of the trade. That's punishable by some pretty extreme measures

No kidding. At $100 that doesn’t feel luxury to me given how many problems it would help diagnose: rotten cables, bad ground, etc all so much faster. It might pay for itself in a single day.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Having the right tools is one thing, knowing where the electricity is supposed to go is truly a secret of the trade. Is the switch in the dash working? Is the 30 year old compressor relay working? You mean the pressure switch has to pass the electrons on too? Now do the electrons make it to the clutch via the crappy old wire with repairs in it? Is the prone-to-failure cheap electromagnetic clutch working? Sheesh, no wonder everyone pulls a/c out of these vans. Someone with good diagnostic skills on these old vans is well worth $130 per hour it took to track multiple problems down.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

That Autel Powerscan looks like a fun tool but at a $100 price point is a true luxury.
If you were doing this diagnosis everyday it might be well worth it.
For the aging hobbyist? I have all the tools and jumpers this tool replaces. I’ll continue on old school like.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Yesterday I was at my mechanic's shop watching him diagnose an A/C clutch that wouldn't engage. He used a tool called a Power Probe that appears to be extremely handy. It gets connected to hot power and ground and then can be used as a DVM and a pos or negative source to diagnose problems. Basically, it combines a DVM, a test light, and a source of DC power and the 20' cord allows you to connect to power at the alt and reach the front of the van as needed.

For those wondering: he didn't charge me extra for watching and asking a few questions; he found multiple issues: a bad connection to the clutch and a bad pressure switch. The A/C is blowing cold now.

Does anyone have comments on this tool?

In the meantime, I've made these luxurious 9' jumper cables with Schumacher 50 amp clips and clips and 6 awg wire found at a garage sale. Today I'll use these to bring battery power to the front of the van to diagnose a grumpy horn circuit. These probably won't be used to jump start a car (no one does that anymore with luxurious lithium battery jump start battery packs).

I bought a Power Probe back around the time they came out with version two I think, on the advice of an older mechanic I was working with. I tried it a few times, and ultimately found I preferred to stick with my meter and test light. It's true, it can be handy to have the ability to engage a circuit with straight battery voltage, but that can also be a huge whoopsie.

Of course, as with anything, you should know what you're doing before you supply battery voltage or ground to any circuit, but I've noticed too many guys with these things getting trigger happy and popping things. I've also seen guys get super crossed up and confused when using it to diagnose, chasing their tails on what's working and what isn't.

I ended up selling it after a few years in near brand new condition. I think if you're diagnosing older stuff, or simple circuits and relays regularly, it can prove useful, but seeing as a lot of the stuff I diagnose can be fairly complicated I didn't want to run the risk of injecting 12v to something I shouldn't by accident.

What I ended up getting instead were LoadPro meter leads. These allow you to apply a .5A load to a circuit and observe the voltage to see if it holds or not. Been super super happy with them!

https://www.amazon.ca/Electronic-Specialties-180-L...&psc=1
skyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

After watching a friend at a shop, track down an electrical issue with a power probe, I was like I need to get one of those. I was trying to use my multimeter with too short of leads, and the shop owner was like here use this. I thought it was just a 12volt test light. After he gave me a demo of what it could do and track down my electrical issue in 5min, he was like you should really get one of these. He was even so kind to pick one up for me when his tool truck guy showed up that week, but I had already amazoned one. With older cars I can see it being really useful.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

for the $, you could spend potentially less on a multi-meter with more functions.
l have a fluke 117 multi-meter l bought used, it has the addition of a thermometer, which has come in very useful.
l also can use it in the house, as it reads 120V AC, and came with a clamp meter.
the only thing it can't do, that the power probe can, is supplying 12v, if you want to put power to something to test it.
the other thing that ALWAYS caused me grief, while working alone, was the lack of a LONG test lead, l found a 75' long lead, much longer than l need, but it was cheaper than a 30' lead.

619 201 0310
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

After years of using cheap multi-meters with fixed 18" or 24" leads my world changed when I got decent 60", flexible leads. 20' or longer leads to a clearly visible meter (not one that's awkwardly balanced and will tip over as soon as the leads are moved) is a winner. Assorted clips and fine points have also been a huge step forward for me in getting the leads to what I need to test.

Basic meter, leads, clips, probes, jumpers, test light and continuity tester that have made my never ending electrical misdiagnoses easier to do and nearly luxurious.

Quote:
What I ended up getting instead were LoadPro meter leads. These allow you to apply a .5A load to a circuit and observe the voltage to see if it holds or not. Been super super happy with them!

That looks like a winner too. Seeing volts but not knowing if there's current there has flummoxed me on at least one occasion. I've used this 1156 lamp soldered to clips to add a 2amp load to test circuits or to measure battery capacity (attach it to a 100ah battery and measure how many hours the battery stays at a healthy voltage).

Abscate wrote:

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:

Been there, done that. I needed something more powerful/more leverage to get that one PITA one off the transmission.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

That looks like a winner too. Seeing volts but not knowing if there's current there has flummoxed me on at least one occasion. I've used this 1156 lamp soldered to clips to add a 2amp load to test circuits or to measure battery capacity (attach it to a 100ah battery and measure how many hours the battery stays at a healthy voltage).

One of my co-workers has basically this same set up, except with a sealed beam headlight attached to it. Works great, except as he says, he also has to connect his meter into the circuit to watch the voltage. It's proven handy to be able to have both in one tool.

It really clicked for me watching a video that the fella who made the loadpro leads has up on his channel. He showed a fuse circuit with 12 volts showing on it, except that he had the fuse removed and his finger bridging the gap. It was enough to carry the voltage, but of course no load. As soon as he added the load of the loadpro leads, the voltage dropped to basically zero.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:

It really clicked for me watching a video that the fella who made the loadpro leads has up on his channel. He showed a fuse circuit with 12 volts showing on it, except that he had the fuse removed and his finger bridging the gap. It was enough to carry the voltage, but of course no load. As soon as he added the load of the loadpro leads, the voltage dropped to basically zero.

Us old fogies get chastised for pulling out a low impedance analog meter. While they may not work well for trouble shooting modern electronic, you don't get this kind of funky reading when you are trying to figure out why your heater motor doesn't work.
natejohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
natejohn wrote:

Us old fogies get chastised for pulling out a low impedance analog meter. While they may not work well for trouble shooting modern electronic, you don't get this kind of funky reading when you are trying to figure out why your heater motor doesn't work.

Those old school analog meters actually do have a place in the industry today. Not needed as often as just a regular meter but I have seen some of our Toyota industrial repair manuals actually specify an analog meter.

I've had a Fluke 88V for 10 years now that I purchased as my gift for making journeyman. We have a bond. A kinship. I would fall apart if it ever died on me I think....
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
...Does anyone have comments on this tool?

When I first stumbled across that tool it was $55 new, and I couldn't justify it then... Laughing

Luxury, indeed! Shocked

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Luxury Tools Reply with quote

natejohn wrote:

I've had a Fluke 88V for 10 years now that I purchased as my gift for making journeyman. We have a bond. A kinship. I would fall apart if it ever died on me I think....
Awesome!!! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 40

Jump to: