Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake pulling
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: brake pulling Reply with quote

My '69 Panel Bus is beginning to pull right when brakes are applied. My hunch is that the left front wheel cylinder is not engaging or the shoes are grossly out of adjustment. Or, perhaps the left rear wheel cylinder is doing the same. Any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

Well have you adjusted the brakes?

Could also be that the left side brake shoes have become fouled with brake fluid, perhaps from a leaking wheel cylinder, and thus do not provide the same coefficient of friction as the shoes on the right side, causing a pull.

I would verify adjustment first, especially if you're having no other signs of leaking brake fluid, but if the issue is still there then you're gonna have to pull the drums and have a look.

Also verify tire pressures are identical side-to-side
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

vwnc wrote:
My '69 Panel Bus is beginning to pull right when brakes are applied. My hunch is that the left front wheel cylinder is not engaging or the shoes are grossly out of adjustment. Or, perhaps the left rear wheel cylinder is doing the same. Any thoughts?

So inspect and adjust your brakes? Your theory could definitely be correct. Could be front or back. There is also a equalizer that could be to blame I think (haven't gone through the whole brake system yet because mine was done when I got mine)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

Good advice.... thanks.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

Another thing to look at is the brake flex line at each wheel. When these hoses go bad they can cause all kinds of breaking issues. A brake pull like you describe is high on that list.
These hoses can go bad and collapse internally, restricting flow of fluid and sometimes even trapping brake pressure.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

Brakes on a bus need an annual clean and adjust especially if the bus lives out side. The 69 just has drum brakes and are pretty marginal at best. If it's had disk brakes installed then I would say it's a stuck caliper but drum brakes it's probably a stuck wheel cylinder.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

Could be a seeping wheel cylinder that is ever so slightly wetting up the shoes on the right. That will make that shoe grab more. Inspection is your only way to find a leak problem.

Or could be one or more wheel cylinders are so rusted up the piston inside has froze up on the left

Looking at brake flex lines is pretty much worthless. Each line has a hose inside a hose, the inner one fails and acts as a one way valve. Pressure goes to that wheel, but will not allow that pressure to make its way back to the MC. If hoses are over eight years, or unknown, time to replace them.
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

After my bus sat all winter/spring I'm having the same issue, but my camper is pulling left fairly hard when applying the brakes. I did find a leaky wheel cylinder on the right side and replaced it. Put new shoes on and still doing the same thing. It seems to pull harder the harder I depress the pedal. All 4 corners have had the brakes adjusted.

This has been frustrating, I redid all of the brakes (new shoes, soft lines, wheel cylinders and master cylinder) last year when I put the bus on the road and so far my NOS master cylinder has gone caput (it's now been changed), leaky new front wheel cylinder and now a brake pull.

After reading different threads, could this be a bad soft hose? Although they are new? All of the parts aside from the master were from CIP1.com and I'm really starting to doubt the quality of their parts!

Thanks for any input
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

Even if a hose is soft, the hydraulic pressure is not going to vastly change from side to side.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

eddie.would.go wrote:
All of the parts aside from the master were from CIP1.com and I'm really starting to doubt the quality of their parts!

You may well have identified your problem. Sad
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

Jack the front up and have a helper push on brakes and you try to rotate the wheels, if one turns you found the wheel to inspect, leak, frozen cyl., out of adjustment, air in system, or bad hose. Look at backing plates of all four wheels for brake fluid and also the side of tire sidewalls for fluid.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

when a steering pulls to one side when the brakes are applied, look to the other side for weakness. The side that works pulls the car in that direction. You can also hold onto the steering wheel on a deserted street with no one behind you while doing about 25 and look at the skid marks to confirm which wheel is not working. Hang onto the steering if you do that because it may really pull to one side.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

I had a pulling issue not matter how much I adjusted the brakes (I had already replaced the cylinders, shoes and lines with new). I had a shop mic my drums. They were out of spec. Got a set that were in spec and all is well.
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: brake pulling Reply with quote

The problem was resolved by replacing the 1 year old rubber brake line. I put a new one in and the stops strait as an arrow again. Thanks for all of the replies and help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: