Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW front end 1964
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

Hello, there is an 1/2 inch in diameter metal rod on my front end that goes from one side of the front beam to the other side in front of my license plate. What is that bar for?? do I need it?? I see on some cars it is missing. Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

say bar

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

You don't need it
Busted Knuckle Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

That's a cool car. Did you build it?
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

Called an anti-sway bar. It transfers pressure from one side of car to the other in high tension handling situations. Probably not required in such a light car - unless it has a large engine. I'd just leave it.
flyin' blonde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Called an anti-sway bar. It transfers pressure from one side of car to the other in high tension handling situations. Probably not required in such a light car - unless it has a large engine. I'd just leave it.

I agree, I'd just leave it. The Bugatti's are so light, esp. on the front end, its not really needed. I left it on mine and also added 80lbs of weight (lead block) under the front license plate panel in an effort to help with front end "drift" (understeer) in a tight, bumpy corner. I hated adding dead weight, but it was pretty scary to drive aggressively otherwise.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

It would ride a lot smoother if you removed those coil over shocks. The Kit is too light to need them.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

That's a great looking car, the spoked wheels with the vintage style tires really makes it. I removed the sway bar from my type 181 Thing to make room for an air conditioner condenser and was surprised to discover the ride became much smoother. It makes sense, bumps were no longer transferring through to the opposite wheel.
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

I rebuilt most of the car casually over the years. It was a mess when I bought it 12 years ago. previous owner said at the time it wasn't really meant to drive on the road,,, but now it is ! I removed two coils of each shock for the front shock springs so now the coils are set really soft, mostly for show but the shocks do work. With the full shock spring coils, you would knock the fillings out of your teeth!
1300cc motor stock ! Generator with semi conductor 12 volt regulator, made a big different over old style voltage regulator. Petronix ignition. All new wiring, which was the real problem and helped to get this car to run right. Single port manifold with new 30-1 PIC carb, I forget who made the carb but jetted and easy to tune. The front end of the car is light, I have been looking for lead bricks to add some weight if anyone knows where to get a few bricks! Thanks, my wife and I love the car. we drive it locally around our country town mostly about 40mph tops. When Grocery shopping and we come out of the store ,usually people around asking about our runabout!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

Not lead, but you might find some used free weights at a thrift store or yard sale for cheap. You could maybe bolt them to the floor in the front part of the frunk to add some weight.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

how about sash window weights...?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

Quote:
but you might find some used free weights at a thrift store or yard sale for cheap.

Free weights have been like hens teeth (at least around here) since covid.
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

I have lead weights at work and I believe they weigh around 25lbs or so and are the size of a regular brick! Wish i could grab 4 but I can't.....
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

This is a rebar reinforced concrete pad to set propane tanks on. It's 27" x 9.5" x 3" and weighs 62 pounds. I put two of them under a small box trailer that is too light and bounces on the road. We pay $15 dollars for them at work from a local concrete place, any propane company will have something like these. Just another idea.

KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

Another thought, where's your battery? Relocate as forward as possible?
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

I have an image of opening your bonnet to find a wooden milk box with moonshine jugs in it filled with lead shot. Lead shot in soft bags is popular with sidecar motorcyclists, who have a vested interest in keeping all three wheels on the ground. I've never done it, I just put my wife in the sidecar (wife is not heavy, I almost made a grave error Shocked).
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

Funny you mention moonshine. I love the stuff. Hope to make it one day soon !!! I like your idea KAmes, I may try that!
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

Hello, I added two lead bricks to the front of my car, about 25lbs each for a total of 50lbs and what a difference that made !
zoltron55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

take out the small leaves top & bottom beams right ride height softer ride and less weight
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW front end 1964 Reply with quote

Hello Zoltron55, I am not to sure what that means,,, take out the small leaves top & bottom beams. Can you explain more? Thanks !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: