Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission ID...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

I've looked at the posts I've been able to find on this topic and still am not sure exactly what I have. My wife rides a custom VW trike with a Type 3 engine. I am working on the brakes and the wheel cylinder matches several Beetle years around 68-71, but the drums and brake shoes do not match those years. The numbers I have been able to find/see on the transmission is:

Part# 113.301.103
SN(?) AH 3443 389

By the shape I'd say it is an IRS off of a Beetle, but I need to know which one so I can get the correct shoes and/or drums. (Edited to add a pic of the drum in case someone can ID that instead...)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by lazarus416 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

AH cases were used Type 1 69-72 . Main ID features should be CV joints and dual removable side diff covers. 4.125 ratio.

As for brakes and hardware.. .. its custom so really any year combination may be on it.

Add some pics and we may can help ID parts for you.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
AH cases were used Type 1 69-72 . Main ID features should be CV joints and dual removable side diff covers. 4.125 ratio.

As for brakes and hardware.. .. its custom so really any year combination may be on it.

Add some pics and we may can help ID parts for you.

Pic of brake drum added in original post. Has "AE" and I think 615(?) for numbers on it...
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

I realized something that I had not noticed before. The holes on the interior of the drum do not match the outside. Did VW brake drums normally have a separate piece for the lugs? Or is this a 4 lug to 5 lug conversion? (Cause I have yet to find a picture of a drum that matches this one...

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

They look like Beetle drums with 4 to 5 lug adapters on the outside..

IMO .. buy drilled drums for the right 5 lug pattern and loose those adapters.. Just to note if you remove the adapters it will narrow the rear track by the thickness of the adapter.

https://socalautoparts.com/?s=drum&post_type=p...mp;ixwps=1

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

Any idea what year? The brake shoes O'Reilly's shows for them has the wrong radius for this drum. It only makes contact with the center half of the shoe. The ends bend too far away from the drum to make contact. As best as I can figure, the "AE" seems to indicate that they are off of either a '71 or '72 Beetle?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

How deep are the brake shoe surfaces? They do look deeper but could be the angle.

also... What is the diameter?

Usually and often edited
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

1 3/4in deep. Pics incoming shortly...
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

Pics...

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

What is the drum diameter? (across the center)

Usually and often edited
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

Inside to inside of the drum...9 3/4.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

All the VW Bug brakes are the same diameter, 230mm new, and 231.5mm maximum should be the brake drum diameter. The brake differences are in width and seating style. Looking at the drum and transaxle information it is most likely you have 1968 up type rear brakes, 40mm wide shoes.

You posted just ahead of my post. Based on that size I would suggest you have Type III rear brakes (Squareback.) I'm not sure how to determine the year, but I think later, 1967 and newer, because of the 4 lug drums.
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

Looking at the diagrams you posted, the brake shoes most closely match the 270's, but the ends are slightly different. 315 is what the parts store was showing, but when I set them inside the drum (I happened to have it with me), the ends of the shoe didn't even come close to making contact. Both ends were probably at least 1/4in off the drum.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

9 1/6 to 9 3/4 difference is a lot..
If someone turned 1/4 out of that drum it would equal 1/2 all around.. ..if so.. they really need their ass kicked for it..

Forget the drums for now ...
How do replacement shoes compare to what it had..??

.. they are most likely 68 and newer Beetle..

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

That's my problem, because of the curvature, the replacement shoes only make contact on the middle half of the shoe....
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

lazarus416 wrote:
That's my problem, because of the curvature, the replacement shoes only make contact on the middle half of the shoe....

I understand that .. but how do the shoes compare.. old to new?

Those drums are most likely turned beyond limits which will not allow the shoes to seat at the ends.

Usually and often edited
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

The shoes I have are not BAD, but since I am replacing the wheel cylinders I figured I would go ahead and replace the shoes too and start fresh. Her brakes have never been the greatest and I finally figured out that 1/2 of one of the left cylinder was bad and the right side was out of adjustment. The thickness of the shoe you see in the pic is about average all the way around. I can put the old ones back on if need be (she doesn't ride a whole lot anyway), but I was trying to ID what I had.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

Face palm to all the experts here,,,, you have t-3 drums. Tell the parts monkey you have a 1969 squareback.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Face palm to all the experts here,,,, you have t-3 drums. Tell the parts monkey you have a 1969 squareback.

Aren't Type 3's knock off drums ?? no lug threads
Usually and often edited
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Aren't Type 3's knock off drums ?? no lug threads

Look at the inner pic, you cab see the 2 screws holding the center to the drum. As stated he also has adaptors on them.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: