Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

different horn grill covers
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: different horn grill covers Reply with quote

I Have had my bug for about three years now (not that this matters), but the two horn grills that are currently in place are very chincy plastic feeling grills. One of the grills broke last weekend, and I needed to get replacements. I bought a pair of EMPI grills and when I compare the EMpi vs what I had, the EMPI ones feel a lot heavier / better well made. The existing cheap filling grills are chrome in appearance. The EMPI ones have a dull finish.

The only problem I am running into, is that the EMPI tabs are slightly off from the holes that are in my fender.

Has anyone else ran into this same problem using EMPI? I wish I knew the cheap plastic feeling ones that I currently have so I can say it's "X" brand. But I've got nothing to compare it to.

I have considered fastening the grills into place using an adhesive of some sort, but I really don't want to do that.

Anyone else have the same tab location issues with the EMPI's?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: different horn grill covers Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: different horn grill covers Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem with the repop Empi ones too. When I restored my '61 it has the original front fenders and the repop horn grill tabs don't line up. Every time I wash the car I knock one of those grills off and the curse words flow. I would love to know also if there are some decent ones that actually fit.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: different horn grill covers Reply with quote

as I was waiting for responses, I ordered a pair of Wolfsburg West. When those come in, I'll compare them with the other two brands I have and see if there is any difference.

I'll definitely still follow my thread but will respond back once they come in.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: different horn grill covers Reply with quote

Figured this out. I got the WW horn grills in. They definitely feel like chincy pieces of tin like the one I was trying to replace. They definitely have a chrome look to them, unlike the EMPI's I tried installing.

The WW horn grills fit perfectly. The tabs lined up and bent into place as I was hoping. We are all good!

I thought, a horn grill is a horn grill. How could anyone possibly screw that up. Um, well, EMPI did Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: