Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Upright fan shroud thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

The biggest impact on CHT was installing flaps. Cruise speeds were just a bit cooler but after getting off the freeway the heads cooled down considerably quicker (compared to without flaps).

Next best mod was the installation of the velocity ring, cooler temp all around.

Since the cooler is housed in the early shroud there are only a couple of directional veins. If the cooler is relocated they seem to work fine as is. The only thing I dont like is they only take the smaller cooling fan, you can modify them to fit the dog house fan if desired.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
FINALLY an aftermarket part thats done right!

This part utilizes the latest advancements in shroud design by VW for use in their aircooled type 1 all the way to the end of production. The ability to run the type 4 cooler is a real bonus!

Hats off to Concept1 for offering a great product!

Here is the link to the discussion in the forums.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644297

I installed a Concept1 shroud and flaps (thanks Clark) on the engine in my Beck Spyder last summer and couldn't be happier. Prior to this, my engine started to overheat on long grades or sustained freeway driving. Now it hits 12:00 High and stays there.

The other day: 70° ambient, following 15 miles on a steady 3-4% grade.

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

dlearl476 wrote:

I installed a Concept1 shroud and flaps (thanks Clark) on the engine in my Beck Spyder last summer and couldn't be happier. Prior to this, my engine started to overheat on long grades or sustained freeway driving. Now it hits 12:00 High and stays there.

The other day: 70° ambient, following 15 miles on a steady 3-4% grade.

What kind of shroud did you replace?

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

Saw this fan in another thread (locked due to oldmanisms) and my question was not able to be answered before shut down.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2479029

Ill email the creator in hope he will answer here.

So the question was, will a factory FI venturi ring benefit or harm the efficiency of this fan type?

Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

Page 4 , he did say it is comparable with the velocity ring .
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Saw this fan in another thread (locked due to oldmanisms) and my question was not able to be answered before shut down.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2479029

Ill email the creator in hope he will answer here.

So the question was, will a factory FI venturi ring benefit or harm the efficiency of this fan type?

Yes, it is compatible with the velocity ring.

In terms of whether the velocity ring helps or hurts, it has the same effect with my fan as it does with the OEM fan.

It increases air speed at the inlet, and overall CFM by accelerating the air through the inlet, and it doesn't add a restriction that would hurt my fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

Am I having a brain fart or or my eyes messing with me? is that velocity ring in backwards ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

How the hell does that work out?

Air is being thrown to the side, so it creates suction from the shrouds air inlet? Any empirical data to back the advertised claims?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
How the hell does that work out?

Air is being thrown to the side, so it creates suction from the shrouds air inlet? Any empirical data to back the advertised claims?

I performed multiple cooling tests back around 2009 in my bus and recorded various changes of temps as parts were added or changed. The two things that had the greatest impact on cooling was thermostat flaps and the velocity ring. Depending on ambient temps both oil and cht were down around 30*. Many questioned the efficacy of the ring as that is a huge bump in cooling. I guess as people tried them out it verified my claims so much so finding original velocity ring shrouds got extremely difficult. Awesome Powdercoat began reproducing just the ring and not long after Concept one also offered one with their updated shroud or separately.

Main thing is it smooths out the incoming air allowing more CFM thus improved cooling.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

you can add this spacer ring to allow a late model fan to fit an early shroud.

https://www.stoddard.com/61610612500.html
Mexican beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Just adding some comparison pics of an early shroud that will accept a hoover bit and late shroud that does not.

Fresh air Brazilia shroud.

77-79 VW FI Shroud

Only has a tab for the flap return spring, will NOT accept a hoover bit.

I have a Shroud that looks the same in the oil cooler area like the bottom photo ,with out a Venturi Ring . So your stating that these do not use a Hoover Bit ? and do you think these shrouds are a better choice to use .
vanorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

Mexican beetle wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:
Just adding some comparison pics of an early shroud that will accept a hoover bit and late shroud that does not.

Fresh air Brazilia shroud.

77-79 VW FI Shroud

Only has a tab for the flap return spring, will NOT accept a hoover bit.

I have a Shroud that looks the same in the oil cooler area like the bottom photo ,with out a Venturi Ring . So your stating that these do not use a Hoover Bit ? and do you think these shrouds are a better choice to use .

if you're shroud is the same as the black one (bottom pic) but without the Vent ring, you can buy the ring separately and install it pretty easily.
The sealing around the base of the oil cooler on this type of shroud can be improved by making your own version of a 'hoover bit' with small L section aluminium and little pop rivets. I had to reinforce the small tab with the hole in for the flaps return spring. It's easily bent, and the elongated hole eventually causes a split
vanorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of shrouds...was there any definitive answer on whether to block off the Air ducts to the Heat exchangers, when running J tubes? Read through various threads and some say yes, others say 'partially blocked, by drilling a cetain sized hole, based on J Raby's testing. The reason I ask is that the 'new' shrouds on offer have the exact same internal air deflector layout, but you can buy them with heater air ducts, or without ( eg.Thing style). Both versions accommodate the Type 4 cooler, so maybe it's a moot point....? If this detracts from the original post, feel free to move it somewhere else.... Very Happy
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

If using a later style shroud with no heat I remove the internal diverter as well. In 63 when the larger shroud body came out VW stated more cooling air with the design. At that time stale air heat was still in use so no diverters were used internally or externally.
vanorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
If using a later style shroud with no heat I remove the internal diverter as well. In 63 when the larger shroud body came out VW stated more cooling air with the design. At that time stale air heat was still in use so no diverters were used internally or externally.

You're going to have to enlighten me...."the internal diverter"?

Pretty sure I have late style FI shroud on my '77 Euro spec AS 1600 Bay. Has the non hoover bit opening (as commented on above) plus vent ring which looks factory, rather than spotted on by a previous owner. Will have an explore this evening, seeing as the engine's in pieces....
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Upright fan shroud thread Reply with quote

vanorak wrote:
You're going to have to enlighten me...."the internal diverter".

The diverter veins are the ones with the rounded tips that direct air out of the heater ducts

I explain it more in this conversion thread with pics of the spot welds to help drill them out and remove them

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519749
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: