Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swap meet find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainierdeklark wrote:
So this must be a non VW, although the seller says it's absolutely a real VW 1949 football mirror. What do you think guys?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh well the seller is our friend Ramano (NOS-Germany), that explains it....

"Run away!!!"

eBay 400026066734

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, forget that one Rainier.. Definitly not a VW mirror. The Ford mirrors are more close to the original than that one...

And here's the pre-45 mirror:

The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainierdeklark wrote:
Well, it's definitly a cute car Very Happy

Yes but so rusty. Even the gutters where peeling off. I split it apart and sold the bits on as it was so bad.

but what worries me is that I only sold the cab for £100, I really hope it wasn't a VW Mirror in there Shocked

Seb
rainierdeklark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
rainierdeklark wrote:
So this must be a non VW, although the seller says it's absolutely a real VW 1949 football mirror. What do you think guys?

"Run away!!!"

eBay 400026066734

Pfff, luckely someone bid over me, so I'm not stuck to that ugly thing anymore Cool
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainierdeklark wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
rainierdeklark wrote:

"Run away!!!"

eBay 400026066734

Pfff, luckely someone bid over me, so I'm not stuck to that ugly thing anymore Cool

You would not have got it at that price anyway. Romano never would have sent it. Wink He's trying to hook bigger fish.
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bad reflection on him....
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think it is ruining his image.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911splitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hebster52 wrote:
Yes, forget that one Rainier.. Definitly not a VW mirror. The Ford mirrors are more close to the original than that one...

And here's the pre-45 mirror:

got on eof those was fitted in my zwitter kept it when i sold it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm/dispel that the early split football mirror had teh 2 screws on the backside like this:

Hard to tell in the pic posted previously in this thread, rivets or screws?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is mine. It has the screws, it appears from above that pre-45 mirrors don't.
My added question is, when and for how long did they put this reinforcement on the back to cut down on shaking?
BjornTore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Swap meet find Reply with quote

Hello. Anyone who can tell if this is VW or Ford mirror? I looks to have rivets. My other mirror have screews.
Brezelmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Swap meet find Reply with quote

It´s a Ford mirror. VW have counter sunk holes for the screws.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Swap meet find Reply with quote

There seems to be some confusion here regarding certain aspects of these early mirrors. It has been suggested that pre 1945 mirrors don't have screws, so by implication, post 45 do, but the original from my 47 doesn't have any screws or rivets either. See pictures below.

Over the years I've picked up a 2nd mirror of the same vintage, which has been cut down, evidently to accomodate a taller driver.

Things to note: a) These mirrors are held to their supports by a nut, and not a slotted screw, b) These mirors don't have a flattened metal flange around the perimeter of the mirror, & c) There is no additional support strengthening to be found on the back of the standard length one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap meet find Reply with quote

… if one can see out of it and it's the general correct (football) shape, i'd use it in my VW - doesn't seem anyone, would know the difference - I like that - nice find - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Brezelmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Swap meet find Reply with quote

Martin.
I have had a couple mirrors just like yours but made for Ford 1935-48.

Tinted glass and a small "S" logo in a circle. Only difference was the mirror arm. And no rivets or screws at rear. (sold them many years ago)

So either VW bought Ford mirrors or you actually have Ford mirror.
Maybe a 1947 only thing.

There´s also rare football mirrors made of aluminium used in some early 356 Gmünd Porsches and a few special order split window beetles.

See the "S" marking on a Ford mirror and the use of nut rater than a screw.

BjornTore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Swap meet find Reply with quote

Brezelmeister wrote:
Martin.
I have had a couple mirrors just like yours but made for Ford 1935-48.

Tinted glass and a small "S" logo in a circle. Only difference was the mirror arm. And no rivets or screws at rear. (sold them many years ago)

So either VW bought Ford mirrors or you actually have Ford mirror.
Maybe a 1947 only thing.

There´s also rare football mirrors made of aluminium used in some early 356 Gmünd Porsches and a few special order split window beetles.

See the "S" marking on a Ford mirror and the use of nut rater than a screw.

Interestning. My footballmirror have no "S" mark/stamping on it.
Brezelmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Swap meet find Reply with quote

I have only ever seen the S-marking on 30-40s Ford mirrors but Martin Southwell showed photos of his mirrors apparently from 1947 - also with S marking. Obviously from same manufacturer.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap meet find Reply with quote

Interesting. I've never noticed the S in a circle before, which I thought was simply a blemish in the paintwork! It seems to in a different position to the Ford one in the picture, and the S seems to be larger on my mirror, so that it's touching the outer circle, whereas the Ford one doesn't.

I'm 99% certain that it's the original mirror the car left the factory with back in May 1947, and it's been in the UK since 1949, with me owning it for the past 43 years, so not a lot of opportunity or need for the mirror to be replaced in the intervening years.

In addition, I met the 2nd owner, who had the car a number of years, plus the chap I bought it from had it from 1966 until I bought it in 1978. He spent nothing on the car, and repaired everything, which luckily meant that it is very original in many respects, even down to the original keys. He took the car for a trip to the Le Mans 24 hour race in 1972 for some reason, and I still have the entry sticker.

If you think about it, how many mirror manufacturers were there likely to have been around in Germany just post war? They weren't producing many cars at that stage, so 'sharing' this pre war design with an American manufacturer, already in Germany, would have made sense.

Although the metalwork on my mirror has surface rust, the silver mirroring is still in good shape. How exactly I'm going to restore this mirror, I don't yet know!
BjornTore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Swap meet find Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Interesting. I've never noticed the S in a circle before, which I thought was simply a blemish in the paintwork! It seems to in a different position to the Ford one in the picture, and the S seems to be larger on my mirror, so that it's touching the outer circle, whereas the Ford one doesn't.

I'm 99% certain that it's the original mirror the car left the factory with back in May 1947, and it's been in the UK since 1949, with me owning it for the past 43 years, so not a lot of opportunity or need for the mirror to be replaced in the intervening years.

In addition, I met the 2nd owner, who had the car a number of years, plus the chap I bought it from had it from 1966 until I bought it in 1978. He spent nothing on the car, and repaired everything, which luckily meant that it is very original in many respects, even down to the original keys. He took the car for a trip to the Le Mans 24 hour race in 1972 for some reason, and I still have the entry sticker.

If you think about it, how many mirror manufacturers were there likely to have been around in Germany just post war? They weren't producing many cars at that stage, so 'sharing' this pre war design with an American manufacturer, already in Germany, would have made sense.

Although the metalwork on my mirror has surface rust, the silver mirroring is still in good shape. How exactly I'm going to restore this mirror, I don't yet know!

Hello. Here is my other mirror its painted green(?) It got screews and no rivets. I don t know yearor hvat car brand?

Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Swap meet find Reply with quote

Talking of mirror colours, you can see on the inside of the mirror support from my car, that it is grey, the same colour as the car itself. Another indication of the originality of the mirror.

It would have been a simple matter to add any available mirror to the support, whether held on by screws, or nuts. Funny really, that we should be looking at such detail so far down the line.

I've just received my new edition of The Historic VW Club magazine, and in there, there are photographs not seen before, of around Wolfsburg in 1947, which puts things into perspective. It's a wonder anything was produced.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: