Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad front wheel bearing? play even after tightening.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Bad front wheel bearing? play even after tightening. Reply with quote

Wondering what else to check before committing to a wheel bearing replacement.

Tightened wheel bearing.

replaced upper ball joint (tested fine but boot was cracked and part was under warranty)
lower ball joint shows no play (OEM it seems)

after that still play.

tested with helper moving wheel at 12/6 and determined there is play between the rotor and the spindle/ball joint assembly.

can retighten since I have the Mercedes nut but I've very sure I got it right.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755355&highlight=mercedes

Anything else to check?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bad front wheel bearing? play even after tightening. Reply with quote

Yikes if the nut doesn't take up the slop directly, immediately....
you gotta look inside before driving it.
Sounds like a worn out spindle 🙀

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bad front wheel bearing? play even after tightening. Reply with quote

well, considering it could be really bad, I looked again at the tightness of the spindle nut and here is what I did - using the original pitted nut I tightened it until it was tight to seat the bearing and what ever else might be in there. Of course the rotor didn't turn. I took off that nut and put the Mercedes nut back on and put it on snug which was about 1/8 turn more than the last tightening. the play is gone. I'll monitor wheel/spindle/bearing temperature as I drive it in the next few days.

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad front wheel bearing? play even after tightening. Reply with quote

I have to ask, are you spinning the wheel as you are tightening the nut?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad front wheel bearing? play even after tightening. Reply with quote

yes, for the final tightening. the "set" tightening I mentioned above, the wheel didn't ultimately turn....then I loosed up and spun/tightened.

the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad front wheel bearing? play even after tightening. Reply with quote

You should be able to move the "washer" with slight side pressure( screwdriver) and roll with a good push.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad front wheel bearing? play even after tightening. Reply with quote

With everything cold you want to have a very slight bit of wobble in the tire. If after 20 miles of highway driving on a hot day the play is gone then that may well be okay. If the bearing it too tight it will run noticeable hotter, so compare hub temperatures side to side and front to back.

The washers that go under the nut are not very uniform in thickness across their surface and this can throw the feel off when adjusting the nut. I will sometimes adjust the nut while the wheel is on the ground as this seems to help make up for the discrepancies in the surface of the washers.

If you tightened the nut so tight your couldn't spin the wheel, I would be worried you might have harmed the bearings. Sad
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad front wheel bearing? play even after tightening. Reply with quote

the Mercedes nut has a very flat thrust surface and Mercedes does NOT use a washer between the nut and bearing race.

i left it out on mine.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bad front wheel bearing? play even after tightening. Reply with quote

It is time for a front disc removal, remove the bearings, clean them well, examine for wear.

Also check the spindle where the bearing ride. The surface should be smooth and not burned or burred.
The bearings should be a snug fit on the spindle but not press on tight.
The races are a press fit in the brake disc.

With tapered bearings you should be able to tighten them absolutely too tight but wobble free.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: