Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnicholls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail Reply with quote

I thought I would share some modifications that we made to our sand rail this year.

A few years ago my son and I built a sand rail in 5 weeks and we had a great time at silver lake. However in our rushed project, I neglected to torque the flywheel to speck and that caused major damage to the case/crank (we found out the day before we were to leave for our trip) So this year we started in the winter building a new engine, K03 Audi Turbo, Chopped the tall rollcage and extended the rear for a long back short wheelbase and added a hood and sides to keep some of the sand out.

In 2016
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Turbo Charger/Intercooled Engine Layout.

Our first trip went well, had some clutch issues but had a blast!

When we got back we decided to add a hood I had some old vw hoods so we thought why not?

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail Reply with quote

Clever, turned out very nice
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail Reply with quote

Looks cool nice work.

also
If you have a fire near the engine that extinguisher is not in a good spot. I would put it on the floor in front of the passenger seat. So it can be grabbed quickly.

last thing
If it is a Kidde extinguisher check to see if it is part of the recall.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail Reply with quote

I have a hood I was going to put on. I’m not sure I will now just because it does cut down on visibility a good deal up front in such a low sitting vehicle. I set the hood on and really didn’t like the view from the seat even though it looked sweet on the front of the rail.

Nice work though!

Not many out there. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail Reply with quote

Re the fire extinguisher...
Some offroad organizations want a fire extinguisher externally accessible near the back. In a buggy that means next to the engine and gas tank. Both are likely sources of fire. But if one is on fire, the extinguisher is in the fire and thus not accessible. Same with offroad race trucks. An extinguisher in the back is still next to the fuel tank and thus not accessible in a fire.

So working Tech Inspection for some of the organizations that do not require a fire extinguisher back there, but still require one on the vehicle, and dealing with racers who DO race also with organizations the require an extinguisher outside in the back, I recommend to those racers that they install one in the cab where you can get to it even if you're buckled in and upside down. Someplace like cross-wise on the floor by the front edge of the seat.

Also, not so much an issue in huge sand dunes like Glamis, but for offroad races we require extinguishers that are rated "ABC", vs the one you have which is rated BC. BC will put out fuel and oil and electrical fires. But an ABC will also put out a fire that has spread to the brush/weeds/grass/trees near the car that's on fire. I put out a fire in my next door neighbor's kitchen (EVERYTHING on fire including the floor, walls and ceiling!) with the one out of my Hi Jumper. They had deep fried french fries and forgot to turn off the fryer. So my extinguisher put out oil, paint, electrical, wood, linoleum, plastic and more. If your buggy catches fire in the woods or on a trail through grass or whatever, you can put out the car fire and keep it from re-igniting from the grass, bushes, trees or whatever.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.

Last edited by dustymojave on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cnicholls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail Reply with quote

So, given the limited space, is the fire extinguisher in a logical area?
The hood pivots forward and is pinned in near the windshield, I really don't want to unpin a hood to get to fire protection should something bad happen. I don't race or run anywhere where there is a safety inspection, its more for peace of mind and being responsible. I didn't give it a lot of thought when we mounted it, however reflecting on your comments did raise a few things I had not thought about.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail Reply with quote

Quote:
So, given the limited space, is the fire extinguisher in a logical area?

As L5wolvesf said:
Quote:
I would put it on the floor in front of the passenger seat. So it can be grabbed quickly.

And I said before...

Quote:
I recommend to those racers that they install one in the cab where you can get to it even if you're buckled in and upside down. Someplace like cross-wise on the floor by the front edge of the seat.

Bolting the bracket to the floor cross-wise just in front of the seat is a great place where it is always readily accessible. Even if you're outside the car when the fire starts. The extinguisher is still EZ to reach from outside. If you have an electrical fire in the dash, the extinguisher is still a ways away from the fire and accessible.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail Reply with quote

In the pic with the young boy sitting on the passenger seat you can see a red bar under the seat. It looks like you could mount the extinguisher to that bar. BUT, if it is a Kidde and has a plastic lever they break and there is a recall on them with free replacement.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
AlexF2294
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but what year hood did you use?
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Hood on a our vw shortback sandrail Reply with quote

VW powered lady bug, pretty cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: