Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Type 3 today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 217, 218, 219 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

R. Deschain wrote:
New 15" 215R75 BFG TA tires all the way around + the spare.

215 won't fit in the spare tire slot.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
R. Deschain wrote:

There are plenty of places on a Type 3 where a 215 tire will fit.

I want to see some pictures!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
R. Deschain wrote:

There are plenty of places on a Type 3 where a 215 tire will fit.

I want to see some pictures!

DUH! Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdorety
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

R. Deschain wrote:

pics please!!
cdorety
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Today I finished installing a rear disc brake kit. I got an EMPI kit from jbugs because the site said it would fit my car......ya know? It does....almost.

Everything fits but the E-brake cable housing: it is not long enough.....by like an inch.

So, I 3d printed a little adapter tube and it should work just fine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gerry1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

fitted my new steering wheel,,,,,dealer option VDM wood steering wheel Very Happy

Sassuan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Engine out. With the help of friends. Thinking a Type 4 will replace it.
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Well I pulled my brothers old squareback out of the spot it's been sitting for over a decade in southern California. It's loaded up on a trailer and I'm hauling it back to my house in Utah to begin slowly rebuilding it.

Should be a fun drive back, so long as Vegas heat doesn't get us. I expect it'll be a few years before this little dude gets back in less than a million pieces, but that's old Vw life right?
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luftKooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

No posts in this thread in a bit and I dont think this need a new thread. I made a shift knob from a cool vintage billiards ball. Car is a burgandy red respray, the 3 is red so it seemed like a happy coincidence.

Drilled the bottom and epoxyied in a chrome lug nut.
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

cdorety wrote:
Today I finished installing a rear disc brake kit. I got an EMPI kit from jbugs because the site said it would fit my car......ya know? It does....almost.

Everything fits but the E-brake cable housing: it is not long enough.....by like an inch.

Very nice solution!
bun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

well got the engine & gearbox out the trike the torque convertor looked fried , got a type 4 torque convertor from London cost more for postage .& packaging anyway got the 36 mm nut off with help from my mate who has a big air gun , came off good \and easy with that thing , able to put new oil seal,checked the type 4 flexy plate no good for the engine so they type 3 flexi plate fitted back on torqued the nut up to correct torque , also a couple o drops of lock tight ,, so just got the the convertor to put on the engine once i get a dry day . so have a spare type 4 flexi plate, if anyone want s it . i need the wet friction plates for the type 3 gearbox if anyone has some for a swap in Scotland if any one is up for it
thats all today
bun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

well yesterday when it was dry removed the engine & auto gearbox type 3 the torque convertor looks fried so got a type 4 t\c and flexi plate ,the flexi plate does not fit but the convertor fits onto the type 3 flexi plate , iNEED A TYPE 3 AUTO TRANSMITION REPAIR KIT , IF ANY ONE HAS AKIT OR CAN PUT ME IN THE DIRECTION OF ONE ,a desperate man waiting thanks BUN
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

had my brake lights go out the other day, noticed when i pulled up at work in the dark.
i figured it was a switch, but there was 12v in and out and the switch was working. So out the back to the first tail light, just so happens I added a LED flasher unit there that flashes the bulb 3 time really quick before it come on solid. For those people looking at their phones to wake up.
Turns out the unit failed, plugged the lights in normally and they work again

Now we have to wait for the snow to melt, 4 inches on Friday, and it was -17c this morning Shocked

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
mgerdau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Ok, I'm lowering my T3. I bought a front beam from Airkewld that has a drop spindle and monroe max-air shocks. When installing the beam it looked like the shocks are intentionally put in upside down. I bought monroe MA803 max-air shocks for the rear. I installed the shocks right-side up but the stance of the rear-end is higher than I thought. Should I install the rear shocks upside down like the fronts?
mgerdau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
cdorety wrote:

Very nice solution!

I bought an EMPI Disk Brake kit too. Just dry-fitting it in I noticed the E-brake cable was short. The solution I was going to use was to cut a section of the old brake cable housing and patch that in. Like your solution better! Guess I need to think about buying a 3d printer.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

mgerdau wrote:
Ok, I'm lowering my T3. I bought a front beam from Airkewld that has a drop spindle and monroe max-air shocks. When installing the beam it looked like the shocks are intentionally put in upside down. I bought monroe MA803 max-air shocks for the rear. I installed the shocks right-side up but the stance of the rear-end is higher than I thought. Should I install the rear shocks upside down like the fronts?

Seems like they would work both ways.
I'd put them back as Airkewld had them, since they are the manufacturer. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

They were probably inverted to make the air valves more protected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

bun wrote:
well yesterday when it was dry removed the engine & auto gearbox type 3 the torque convertor looks fried so got a type 4 t\c and flexi plate ,the flexi plate does not fit but the convertor fits onto the type 3 flexi plate , iNEED A TYPE 3 AUTO TRANSMITION REPAIR KIT , IF ANY ONE HAS AKIT OR CAN PUT ME IN THE DIRECTION OF ONE ,a desperate man waiting thanks BUN

These are still available, google VW 003 auto transmission repair kit and pick a vendor.

https://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/VW_003_Overhaul_Kit_1969_76_p/710-000071021.htm
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

First Type 3 I've had.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Type 3 today? Reply with quote

Nice Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 217, 218, 219 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Jump to:
Page 218 of 224

Jump to: