Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission ID...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
Face palm to all the experts here,,,, you have t-3 drums. Tell the parts monkey you have a 1969 squareback.

Aren't Type 3's knock off drums ?? no lug threads

Look at the inner pic, you cab see the 2 screws holding the center to the drum. As stated he also has adaptors on them.

Yeah.. facepalm is right... d'oh! ... totally missed. it.. Brick wall

Once that adapter is unbolted.. its two pieces.. well 3 with the adapter..

Good eye..
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

Hmmm, looking at a close up of that drum from a Google search, I think mcmscott might be right. That is the only drum I have seen with the 2 small holes in addition to the 4 "lug" holes. It looks like what I thought was an adapter might simply be a separate piece for the lugs bolted onto the drum. basically a 2 piece brake drum....

https://www.jbugs.com/product/311501615FBR.html
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

Do your brake shoes happen to look like this? That's type 3.
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

Yup, that's the ones. (See pic above). And you mention the 2 screws holding it together on the inner pic....but there are no screws in those smaller holes...only in the 4 larger holes. Should I be concerned?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

Yeah.. makes sense now..

Quote:
The Type 3 diameter is quite larger 9.782(new)-9.822" (legal limit). Size: 9-3/4″ x 1-3/4″ (248mm x 48mm)

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

lazarus416 wrote:
EVfun wrote:

Yup, that's the ones. (See pic above). And you mention the 2 screws holding it together on the inner pic....but there are no screws in those smaller holes...only in the 4 larger holes. Should I be concerned?

Take the adaptor off

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
lazarus416 wrote:
EVfun wrote:

Take the adaptor off

I don't have to, I can shine a light in those small holes and see that there is no bolt in them. The adapter is bolted directly into the 4 lug holes.But the adapter itself has the spine/bearing installed. There are only 2 pieces to this drum, not 3...
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

P.S. Want a good chuckle? That means that this trike was built out of 3 different VW's. The original engine (which I had to replace) came out of a '71 Safari (bus built for and sold only in Mexico according to my research at the time), a Beetle tranny and now apparently T3 brakes...truly a rat trike...
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

lazarus416 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
lazarus416 wrote:
EVfun wrote:

Take the adaptor off

I don't have to, I can shine a light in those small holes and see that there is no bolt in them. The adapter is bolted directly into the 4 lug holes.But the adapter itself has the spine/bearing installed. There are only 2 pieces to this drum, not 3...

Remove the adaptor, 1 of the lugs will remain in the drum, it is the one that probably wiggles. The splined section will then come apart from the drum if it is not to rusted together.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2321942

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

Take the adaptor off[/quote]

I don't have to, I can shine a light in those small holes and see that there is no bolt in them. The adapter is bolted directly into the 4 lug holes.But the adapter itself has the spine/bearing installed. There are only 2 pieces to this drum, not 3...[/quote]

Remove the adaptor, 1 of the lugs will remain in the drum, it is the one that probably wiggles. The splined section will then come apart from the drum if it is not to rusted together.[/quote]

Ok. If I end up replacing the drums I will. The other reason I wanted to ID them was so I can find out if they can be turned. They are not bad, but there is a slight high spot in one of them. No a huge thing, but figured I would check since I am doing a brake job anyway.

I REALLY appreciate all the help. I never would have figured this out myself. Just not enough exp with the VW's.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

If you want them machined you will have to take them apart as most shops do not have the arbor for vw splines. Also you will get a "truer" turn this way.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

lazarus416 wrote:
P.S. Want a good chuckle? That means that this trike was built out of 3 different VW's. The original engine (which I had to replace) came out of a '71 Safari (bus built for and sold only in Mexico according to my research at the time), a Beetle tranny and now apparently T3 brakes...truly a rat trike...

Cobbled together parts are actually quite common with any Trike, Kit car..or home built VW contraption Laughing

Use whatever you have and whatever it takes to make em go.. and stop

Usually and often edited
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
If you want them machined you will have to take them apart as most shops do not have the arbor for vw splines. Also you will get a "truer" turn this way.

*Sigh* Figures. I'm loath to do more than I absolutely have to. I have a family curse that can summed up by "Clarke's Law" which says "Murphy was an optimist..."
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

lazarus416 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

*Sigh* Figures. I'm loath to do more than I absolutely have to. I have a family curse that can summed up by "Clarke's Law" which says "Murphy was an optimist..."

"Murphey was an optimist" !!! Love it and am going to steal it from time to time.
You actually have probably the best rear brakes vw produced, who ever originally built it was smart enough to know. I wouldn't sweat the adaptors on a tryke as there really is no weight on them.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
lazarus416
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission ID... Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
lazarus416 wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

"Murphey was an optimist" !!! Love it and am going to steal it from time to time.
You actually have probably the best rear brakes vw produced, who ever originally built it was smart enough to know. I wouldn't sweat the adaptors on a tryke as there really is no weight on them.

Oh I'm not worried about the adapters. I just don't want to take anything apart that I don't have to. It would be my luck that I'd try to take them apart and something would break. Something that will be hard to find or fix. She loves her trike, but SHE doesn't have to work on the bloody thing. And I can count on one hand, (with fingers left over) the number of times we have taken it out and it HASN'T given me one problem or another. (I should tell you the story of the oil change that turned into 5 rebuilds + a new engine...)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: