Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

93 CV mystery hose - old school propane connection maybe?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve0802
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: 93 CV mystery hose - old school propane connection maybe? Reply with quote

Hi all,

New member. Just bought a 1993 Eurovan CV and although we have the original 93 westfalia install, including stove/propane burners there is no propane tank under the van. Instead it looks like this mystery braided hose, hidden under the cabinet shelf is connected to the propane pipe and may be a modified propane adaptor for connecting to a portable tank maybe??? Anyone seen anything like this before.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: 93 CV mystery hose - old school propane connection maybe? Reply with quote

Does look like a hose of death.

You know what to do.
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: 93 CV mystery hose - old school propane connection maybe? Reply with quote

I'm doing a heap of guessing here, but here goes:

There were a few different stove configurations offered for the early Westfalia converted T4/Eurovans. I Thought all the CV variants for the Canadian market had propane stoves, but you may have one that was set up for butane. (If so it could be converted to propane.)

There were CV models that were exported to Japan also. Could yours have been one of those?

Third possibility, as you suggest, is a previous owner removed the original propane tank and had that rather strange hose and connector installed to fit to a portable (likely disposable) propane or butane tank. In your photos, however, there is no regulator. I'd be inclined to remove that hose and have a certified propane installer makeup and install the correct hose, regulator and (portable, refillable) tank setup for you.

Underneath, is there any evidence that a tank had been installed and removed? Also, can you photograph and post the threads in the connector you have?

Here's what my stove, in my 1992 CV looks like. Is yours the same? If so, it is a propane and/or butane stove.

Steve0802
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 93 CV mystery hose - old school propane connection maybe? Reply with quote

Thanks @steveZ

Here is the burner and end of the hose fitting - definately says propane stovetop... I thought the end looked like it was a water pipe when i first saw it - doesn't look like any propane fitments I've seen before but its definately attached to the propane pipe in the wall behind the cabinet/seat.

Underneath the van - i can see the brackets where the propane tank should be.

Van is supposedly only Canadian registered.

SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 93 CV mystery hose - old school propane connection maybe? Reply with quote

Well, I've never seen a propane fitting that looked like that either, but I can't claim expertise or a long list of propane fittings in my photo library!!

I'll fall back on my earlier comment that you need a correct pressure regulator, hose, and fitting for a proper portable, refillable tank.

I'm not comfortable with the hodge podge of fittings and multiple adapters in the photo. I suspect that would never be approved by an insurance inspector or appraiser, should you need to go that direction, too.

The good thing is that is a relatively easy fix.
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 CV mystery hose - old school propane connection maybe? Reply with quote

Looks like copper tubing that that hose is connected to which is for the propane that goes to the stove and fridge. You can remove it and replace with a standard outdoor grill propane tank and hose with regulator that you can get at lowes or wal mart.

I deleted my propane tank from outside and moved it to the cabinet under the sink in my eurovan, using a 3/8 inch flare fitting tee just before the fridge. I then cut and flared the copper line to adjust the link and connected to propane line from the tank to the tee. I am also installing an in line level gauge for the propane tank.

Just make sure, like with your grill it is off when not using.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 CV mystery hose - old school propane connection maybe? Reply with quote

That hose clamp tells you the whole thing needs to be ripped out and sent to the bottom of a lake.

That is manifestly unsafe
Steve0802
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 CV mystery hose - old school propane connection maybe? Reply with quote

Thanks all - agree the existing connections look like a death trap - I think i'll go with VWinny's option of hooking up to a propane tank under the cupboard. The $1,000+ cost to buy, sintall and test a replacement under the van tank doesn't seem worth it given other work the van needs right now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: