Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch cable replacement/seat removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Clutch cable replacement/seat removal Reply with quote

Can I just slide the front seat forward and press a tab to remove a super beetle seat? I think my clutch cable is broke and coming unwound and need to remove the pedal cluster - rather do it with the seat out. Hope I got the right replacement cable...
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable replacement/seat removal Reply with quote

On my ‘74 SB I had to remove the little tab (j piece) from from front center channel with one screw. Then slide the seat BACK to remove.

Honestly removing and replacing the seats have been one of the biggest pains on my car.
My seat rails aren’t smooth anymore and those little plastic tabs are a royal pain.
But way easier and more comfortable to remove seat for pedal assy and clutch cable work.

Good luck

Ben
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable replacement/seat removal Reply with quote

If the seat is in a std bug before 1972, then there is a tab next to the tunnel that needs to be pushed down and the seat pushes past it. just remember to remove the helper spring under the seat before removal. And yes, removing the set makes it easy to do pedal work but what a PITA it is.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable replacement/seat removal Reply with quote

polypetalous wrote:
But way easier and more comfortable to remove seat for pedal assy and clutch cable work.

When I consider all the factors, I personally leave the seat installed for clutch cable/pedal work.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable replacement/seat removal Reply with quote

Assuming you have a pedestal seat, you don’t have to remove the j-spring keeper. You just push the seat forward a little so that the tab on the seat-bottom rail is disengaged from the curved end of the spring. Then you push a flat screwdriver, either from the front, or at the side of, the spring, and this will lower the spring end from the seat. Then slide the seat back until it’s out of the rail.

Clean and grease the rails before reinstalling the seat.

If you have no helper, remove the actuator spring from the tunnel arm. Then push the tunnel arm so that the locking post disengages from the seat rail hole.

Hopefully, your seat tabs are in good shape.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable replacement/seat removal Reply with quote

New cable installed. I left the seat in. Thanks for the replies - Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: