Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson - Whose Bus is this?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
npbusguy wrote:
crofty wrote:
You don't drive a 100k Bus.

Why not?

Driving a $100k bus is pure pleasure, but you drive them differently than driving a $15k bus. You tend not to care if the $100k bus only goes 52mph or if some guy in a rusty pick up passes you and flips you off for holding up traffic. Bias ply tires are pretty cushy and there is nothing like the sweet sweet sound of a split case transmission whining up to cruising speed.

I only wish I bid on that '56 because that would be a super fun bus to roll down the road, incorrect glass, tail lights or missing the middle seat kick panel or not and for a $90k plus buyers premium, it was a deal.

Man, I would rock that bus hard, by going slow and enjoying the ride. That is what buses are all about anyway, the ride and the friendships they lead you to.

Thank you, Neil.

Maybe one day the money will leave this hobby, and the true at heart can afford the buses we can only dream about.... Very Happy
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
npbusguy wrote:
crofty wrote:

Why not?

Driving a $100k bus is pure pleasure, but you drive them differently than driving a $15k bus. You tend not to care if the $100k bus only goes 52mph or if some guy in a rusty pick up passes you and flips you off for holding up traffic. Bias ply tires are pretty cushy and there is nothing like the sweet sweet sound of a split case transmission whining up to cruising speed.

I only wish I bid on that '56 because that would be a super fun bus to roll down the road, incorrect glass, tail lights or missing the middle seat kick panel or not and for a $90k plus buyers premium, it was a deal.

Man, I would rock that bus hard, by going slow and enjoying the ride. That is what buses are all about anyway, the ride and the friendships they lead you to.

Thank you, Neil.

Maybe one day the money will leave this hobby, and the true at heart can afford the buses we can only dream about.... Very Happy

Best laugh I've had all day!
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

Exactly. Can you imagine how a 57' belair owner would respond if they said, this car came from the factory equipped with a 396 c.i. big block with headers? You would never hear the end of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
npbusguy wrote:
crofty wrote:

Why not?

Thank you, Neil.

agreed thank you neil! drive that pricey old bus Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
if you had a 56 and 67 deluxe, which one would let a friend borrow?

You make a good point but depends who it is...

My '63 is the easiest Bus to drive so I probably would let them drive that if they were inexperienced.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

I wonder, how many of the new paint 21/23s real or fake will eventually end up in a back yard with leaky sunroofs.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
I wonder, how many of the new paint 21/23s real or fake will eventually end up in a back yard with leaky sunroofs.

At the prices people are coughing up for these things, I don't think they will be left out to rot any more.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
pacrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
truelinebob wrote:
77k for the lot 1276 turkis 21 window
78k for the lot 1276.1 mouse grey 23 window
just now
they should not have sold the 23 right after the 21.

Oopsie hahaha.

Lot 1115 was 75k also. That's 3 now that have been about 75k. Weird it's significantly cheaper to buy a "finished" window bus at BJ than it is on the classifieds here

Yes, I agree! A finished window bus in the classifieds seem to be elevated or you could get a Kombi of no particular rarity for $25K (high too). I hope they settle and come down to reality. Of course if someone wants to buy my 21 Window for crazy $$, I might be ok w/ it.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

I think you know that you would be the exception in this case, not the rule. My guess is that a $100K 21 window at Barrett Jackson will end up in a collection not in a carport warming up for a daily commute.

npbusguy wrote:
crofty wrote:

Why not?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
My guess is that a $100K 21 window at Barrett Jackson will end up in a collection not in a carport warming up for a daily commute.

Reminds me of a 60's Hot Rods Magazine cartoon; the trailer queen show car had engine, tranny, and rear end made by Revell. The buyers probably wouldn't know the difference if you just hid a Mattel Vrroom.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
The actual selling prices are higher now than they were in 2008, both for ratty projects and for nicer buses.
Even if the 217K price was a fluke, we just saw a number of less than perfect buses sell for 75K.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1871247

Neutral
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Clara wrote:
The actual selling prices are higher now than they were in 2008, both for ratty projects and for nicer buses.
Even if the 217K price was a fluke, we just saw a number of less than perfect buses sell for 75K.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1871247

Neutral

That double cab was an eyesore in the day it was built, and it will still be an eyesore 20 years from now. When you step that far outside the box building a vehicle, you better be prepared to keep it forever. Or ask 75k for it, and let it remain for sale indefinitely.
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson - Whose Bus is this? Reply with quote

Is this same 1956 23 Window up for auction at BJ again?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1956-VOLKSWAGEN-23-WINDOW-MICROBUS-248024

Anybody know the seller or what they think it will go for?
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson - Whose Bus is this? Reply with quote

hoss wrote:
Is this same 1956 23 Window up for auction at BJ again?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1956-VOLKSWAGEN-23-WINDOW-MICROBUS-248024

Anybody know the seller or what they think it will go for?

Yes.

Let's see if it goes for $90k again Laughing
hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson - Whose Bus is this? Reply with quote

$104,500 including the buyer's commission.

So what $94,000 before the commission? I'm baffled by why it has gone for so "cheap" again a 2nd time around.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson - Whose Bus is this? Reply with quote

hoss wrote:

So what $94,000 before the commission? I'm baffled by why it has gone for so "cheap" again a 2nd time around.

Because that's what the market thought it was worth. FWIW, my personal view is that the earlier car is the better investment for cute, attractive. I guess a later car, especially with 1500 motor would be better if you wanted to take the family out for rides. I doubt many well heeled enough to write a $200k check would quite understand the charm of a 36hp bus.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson - Whose Bus is this? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
hoss wrote:

Because that's what the market thought it was worth. FWIW, my personal view is that the earlier car is the better investment for cute, attractive. I guess a later car, especially with 1500 motor would be better if you wanted to take the family out for rides. I doubt many well heeled enough to write a $200k check would quite understand the charm of a 36hp bus.

I've seen comments from others who have more auction experience that the early SWR/CB color scheme doesn't bring as much at auctions so this could be a factor too.

At auction: Prettier Bus often = more $$$$, regardless of condition or year or correctness.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson - Whose Bus is this? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
hoss wrote:

Bingo.
I’ve been following BAT and it’s flipped my thinking on classic cars. I always thought it was a truism that correct and well done would consistently get more money than incorrect and poorly done, but that’s not the actuality. A lot of people buy classics in the same way they buy new cars, solely based on looks and that color can override many defects in workmanship. They want cars that are usable under modern road conditions. Only true collectors want 36hp 23s and I sort of doubt they are buying them on auction sites.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson - Whose Bus is this? Reply with quote

Same bus shown tonite on FYIHD TV channel, named "Barrett-Jackson Revved Up- Lights Out in Las Vegas!". I did not watch the entire episode and missed the start so I don't know if its the same episode just described above from the June 2021 auction event*. Narrator even provided numerous correct details such as the engine rated at 36 hp, the design coming from the Dutch importer (who was Ben Pon) based on a "mule" at the Wolfsburg factory, guessing at the top speed (52 mph). The "outboard gears" at the rear axle were explained to be for increasing the ride height, unfortunately not mentioning that they mainly provided for a much increased payload at the expense of vehicle speed.

Hammer selling price was $95,000.

If anyone is interested, I took several photos of the auction and can edit and post 1 or 2 here.

Before the bus was brought to the auction area, one of the hosts was in the inspection lanes with at least 3 other Splitties.

*Likely it was the same event; closing credits was 2021.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson - Whose Bus is this? Reply with quote

Is that the same Barrett-Jackson bus where Cory "Big Hoss" Harrison of Pawn Stars said it was his favorite car in the auction? I was surprised by that. I know Rick Harrison likes VWs, but it seemed to have rubbed off.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: