Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Betty the Beetle" New Craptastic Floors
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunc2027
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: "Betty the Beetle" New Craptastic Floors Reply with quote

Repairs | floorboards 01

I don't have a garage, so mobile work station it is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Repairs | floorboards 02

The handiest tools I've bought (for this stuff!)

Repairs | floorboards 03, passenger

First big step. The diamond cutting wheel is glorious. Cuts like butter, and no breaking or changing out disks.

Repairs | floorboards 04, passenger

I am not a welder. You can tell.

Repairs | floorboards 05, passenger

Coming along.

Repairs | floorboards 06, passenger

Test fit, bend, repeat.

Repairs | floorboards 07, driver

Lots to cut out.

Repairs | floorboards 08, driver

The inside seat track is pretty well rusted out, but it's welded in 6+ spots. No good way to get it off besides cutting it out. I was ramming this project through overnight anyway, so there was no stopping to order parts.

Repairs | floorboards 09, driver

Amateurishly proud of this one. Fit pretty nicely. Smile

Repairs | floorboards 10, driver

Let's see how well cutting works for the inside corners.

Repairs | floorboards 11, driver

Not too bad.

Repairs | floorboards 12

All done! Well, the cutting and welding anyway. I am limited on pretty much everything - space, tools, budget, time, experience, skill, you name it. It was my first time using a welder. It's a little 90 amp flux core welder from Home Depot (Century FC90) with 0.030 wire. After screwing around on some scrap the settings were I think voltage 3, feed 4. Certainly not pretty, and we'll see if they break in the future. But hopefully they get me by until I move back home in a few years with more funds and a full garage. At least my feet won't get wet driving through a puddle. I was close to cousins with Fred Flintstone. Smile

Oh, the corners on the driver side are not sealed up at all. I was having poor success trying to run a solid bead, and at the suggestion of a buddy with actual welding experience settled on tacks all around. Today I bought a propane torch and silver solder, so I'll see how difficult it is to fill in the seams (and pinholes) that way. My brother suggested actual automotive seam sealer, or even caulk for an el cheapo, but I figure if something pops and I need to repair it (or rusts through already, with the salt water down here) I won't have to worry about scraping it off and having it gum up my grinder brush. Hopefully I can solder it fine and then I'll blast it with cold spray galvanizing paint.

KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty the Beetle" New Craptastic Floors Reply with quote

Looks good! I like it when people just lay into a project like that. That's all the welding school I ever had, just by trying and doing one gets better at it. I've never tried soldering like that I'll be curious to see if that works. Either way it's under the floor mat and it's solid. I'm a big fan of seam sealer, Eastwood brush on is my favorite, but you're right if you think you'll be revisiting it it would be trouble. Nice looking car.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty the Beetle" New Craptastic Floors Reply with quote

I admire your nerve & ability to attempt such a task in a parking deck. I once dropped an engine on a Sunday in a parking deck in Detroit Mi in the middle of winter. Needed a place to escape the subzero wind chill factor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty the Beetle" New Craptastic Floors Reply with quote

Well done.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: