Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

andrigs fan
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: andrigs fan Reply with quote

lets give his fan a chance. do do like was done to atom works thingys they did look good...did they work?? I havent a clue, but they were pretty. everybody bashed them and most had niver seen them...he is gone.perhaps he could of made something that was relly something that was needed that worked...who knows.
but we need to give this fan a chance to be proven one way or the other. in every way. it may cool better. it might not be any diferance in cooling but it shouldent come appart,and probably wont have anywhere neer the vibration the steel fans do. also if it does hapopen to come appart it probably wont turn your engine into a holly relic. so even if the cooling dosent change it may have other disirable bennifits. thats what we need to find out.with real worls usage figures, not pissing and moaning about the material it's made from or oh that cant work. yes I have questions. and only good UNBIASED testing can answer them. we all remember jakes majick cooling system , that in the end was discontiunued due to it not doing any better than the oe stuff....or after market stuff after years of this is the best!! well it wassent. these fans are sold out, how many I dont have a clue. but there are some out there. thats good and thats bad. there are oh so many people that blame problems on the rong parts/person/shop etc all the time. and then there is the wishfull thinking they this thing works so good now...but thats just to justify the $ in the owners head... so we have to filter through all this.as well as the guy who uses it on a car that has little to no tin or seals and will never run cool...or the guy in alaska whos car never could run hot. and new builds...there is no base line unless a blind fan blade only swap is done to see results... and then what fan it is compared to??? Imho a road race car would be a awesome test bed. possiably a baja racer. and some good street cars that have good base lines. as well as buses on the edge of hot. and some cars with power pullys. Ive never had cooling issues.Ive never run power pullys. this may also be a good canadate for drag cars that take off the belt to run...use this along with a half size pully( half the size of a power pully) so very little hp draw, no chance of fan comming appart and keeping hot spots away.
we need it all, but we need good true reliable info that can be eazely related to the normal builds, normal cars, big motors, small motors. everything. perhaps a spread sheet that can be checked off.....ya right. but we do need to give it a chance. WTF it may really work, last and not come appart.!!!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Here's a link to the part ad for those who missed this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755740

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I'll be adding my name to the waiting list. For the price, I'm 100% on board with giving it a shot. Kudos to him for thinking outside the box, trying something new and bringing it to market. That's how SubaruGears got started and he's done amazingly.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I would love to know what it is made of.

There are a wide range of polymers out there, with very different properties. Without knowing what it is made of, there is no way to judge what percentage by weight of water it will absorb over time, and how much that reduces the strength long term. Also, how UV stable is it? If it is used in a buggy and exposed to sunlight (UV radiation), how brittle will it become? Can this cause it to come apart at high revs or rapid engine acceleration? Who knows…

Without knowing what it is made of, only time will tell I guess. I am hoping these sort of things were taken into account during the design process.

In either case, I commend the designer for taking the time to introduce a new product. It is things like this that keep a hobby alive and interesting. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

imma order one when i get back from FL. I figure i can use it on my stock tin 1385cc and transfer it over to my 2180 when i finish that. Like many have said the price is great, and if it works better than stock than cool. if not then oh well.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

To Andrigs......Can you provide some details on the “all new” cooling system you referred to in the previous thread b4 it was locked?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Did the OP ask for original thread to be shut down or was it the originator of the product? If it has good volume at lower revs might work well with power pulley. I will let others be the Guinee pig. I have no problem with cooling on my engines but more is always a good thing.

Dan
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Did the OP ask for original thread to be shut down or was it the originator of the product? If it has good volume at lower revs might work well with power pulley. I will let others be the Guinee pig. I have no problem with cooling on my engines but more is always a good thing.

Dan

The OP, he didn't like some of the kids that came to play in the sandbox, so he took his shovel and pail and went home.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I'm going to give one a shot too. Props to someone trying to do something new and innovative but sadly, not surprised in the slightest that he copped a load of shit on here for it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

richierich wrote:
I'm going to give one a shot too. Props to someone trying to do something new and innovative but sadly, not surprised in the slightest that he copped a load of shit on here for it.

The creator of this fan.....did not "cop a load of shit". He got nothing but praise and fair questions....IMHO.

The thread was shut down because "I" asked questions...fair and nice questions actually....that the "OP" of the other thread took issue with. Thats all I will say about that.

On to the fan.....I am already wondering.....if I fixed/mounted this cool new fan to a spacer.....a sort of platter to mount to the crank snout....with a venturi ring opposite on the shroud to take up more space.....if It could be tested pretty much as is....on a type 3 or type 4 engine.

The cost is SO cheap for what goes into a part like this.....its worth a gamble to test.

Its a fair question....since being a straight blade radial fan.....its non-directional. The point to that being the stock type 1 fan is a reverse incline blade set and type 3 anc 4 are forward incline....different animals with a different power/torque/static pressure and volume profile.

This one is neither. Thats a functional advantage.

Ray
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
richierich wrote:

The creator of this fan.....did not "cop a load of shit". He got nothing but praise and fair questions....IMHO.

The thread was shut down because "I" asked questions...fair and nice questions actually....that the "OP" of the other thread took issue with. Thats all I will say about that.

On to the fan.....I am already wondering.....if I fixed/mounted this cool new fan to a spacer.....a sort of platter to mount to the crank snout....with a venturi ring opposite on the shroud to take up more space.....if It could be tested pretty much as is....on a type 3 or type 4 engine.

The cost is SO cheap for what goes into a part like this.....its worth a gamble to test.

Its a fair question....since being a straight blade radial fan.....its non-directional. The point to that being the stock type 1 fan is a reverse incline blade set and type 3 anc 4 are forward incline....different animals with a different power/torque/static pressure and volume profile.

This one is neither. Thats a functional advantage.

Ray

Well, we'll see how it performs...as soon as I get my hands on one, it'll go on the stroker in my bus. Should be a good test bed for it.
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I'm on the list. I love the idea that someone is trying things to improve.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

The fan is light and fits snugly on the alternator bushing. There were no clearance issues related to the backing plate or shroud.

My engine is still 2-3 weeks from running and I’ll report back. Spinning the alternator in the shroud, it pushes a lot of air. What does that mean, not sure at this point.

We should let those who have it report back versus arguing over materials and how it relates to a Type 3 or 4...
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
The fan is light and fits snugly on the alternator bushing. There were no clearance issues related to the backing plate or shroud.

My engine is still 2-3 weeks from running and I’ll report back. Spinning the alternator in the shroud, it pushes a lot of air. What does that mean, not sure at this point.

We should let those who have it report back versus arguing over materials and how it relates to a Type 3 or 4...

Amen. The ones arguing over materials probaly work for Empi. Think

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

The OP, he didn't like some of the kids that came to play in the sandbox, so he took his shovel and pail and went home.

Laughing

02/76 Beetle sedan
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I think i will get on the list too. I have nothing to lose, and if it helps product development for the hobby i am all in on that.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
txoval wrote:

Amen. The ones arguing over materials probaly work for Empi. Think

Seeing how it works for those who buy one will be interesting to watch! Hope it kicks ass...uh...air!

And.....actually no.....I dont work for EMPI.....and wondering or asking about the materials is fair game in my opinion. It doesnt mean he has to answer! Wink

And....from Andrigs previous comment in the last thread..... that eventually he "might" do somethng for type 3 or 4.....and..... tbat fact that if "I" buy one of his fans....."I" will put in in a type 4 if I can (far too cheap not to buy one just to experiment)......and thats because I dont drive type 1's.....so that commentary is fair game as well.

No one as far as I can see..... is "arguing" anything....just saying.....its just a point of discussion....an idea....and a statement! Very Happy

All Im pointing out.....is not wanting to hear ideas of others....is why the last thread was locked.

Ray
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Applegreen, please stop, let’s not go down that rabbit hole again. If you want to suggest things like we probably work for EMPI, then don’t be upset if this thread deteriorates and gets locked…again.

I think it is perfectly valid to question material. Polymers can be particularly fussy with their environment. UV radiation and water absorption are my two concerns. Knowing the material would help us judge the long term stability of the product, just as the material of a connecting rod or crankshaft gives us some idea of how much abuse it can take.

Without knowing a material, all we can do is wait 5-10 years or so and see what happens.

I would love to see how it holds up in an open buggy exposed to UV radiation. Hopefully someone buys it to test in a harsh environment like that.

Looking forward to results. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Applegreen, please stop, let’s not go down that rabbit hole again. If you want to suggest things like we probably work for EMPI, then don’t be upset if this thread deteriorates and gets locked…again.

I think it is perfectly valid to question material. Polymers can be particularly fussy with their environment. UV radiation and water absorption are my two concerns. Knowing the material would help us judge the long term stability of the product, just as the material of a connecting rod or crankshaft gives us some idea of how much abuse it can take.

Without knowing a material, all we can do is wait 5-10 years or so and see what happens.

I would love to see how it holds up in an open buggy exposed to UV radiation. Hopefully someone buys it to test in a harsh environment like that.

Looking forward to results. Cool

Why not join those of us who are going to buy one to try and be part of the testing then? They're cheap enough (and I'm in the UK so will have shipping on top but still willing to give it a shot)
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: andrigs fan Reply with quote

I'm on the list as well. IMO it's about time that someone tried to improve the cooling fan, which most likely has been done. I, like the others that bought one or are waiting for one will find out if it works but I'm very optimistic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: