Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Request for advise on next steps
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisKay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Request for advise on next steps Reply with quote

Hi All,

Reaching out to seek advise on next steps for my '68 Beetle full resto. project.
I'm up to getting ready for paint for certain areas.

----------------
Chassis assembly
----------------
Some background:
- Floor pans, front axel, engine, transmission, etc. is removed
- All damages are repaired/welded
- I currently have the bottom of the tunnel off
- My tunnel is quite rusty
- I have wire wheeled the complete tunnel - inside and out, but there is still quite a bit of rust remaining

Would next step be?:
1. Paint it inside and out with rust converter (https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-rust-converter-500ml/425361.html?cgid=SCA01100102#start=2)
2. Wait overnight
3. Sand it, inside and out, using grits 180 to 600 (is this step required?)
4. Clean with wax and grease remover
5. Paint the inside of the tunnel and any sections that would be welded with 3 coats of weld-through primer (https://www.carbuilders.com.au/etch-primer-1k)
6. Let cure overnight
7. Install piping/plumbing
8. Weld on tunnel bottom
9. Weld on new floor pans
10. Remove factory paint from floor pans
11. Paint chassis assembly with rust converter/wait overnight/sand again (is this step required due to flash rusting?)
12. Completely paint chassis assembly with 3 coats of a zinc-rich paint using air compressor (I haven't pick a paint yet)
13. Leave to cure for 1 month

----------------
Wheels
----------------
Some background:
- I have 5 stock Beetle wheels
- All wheels have been stripped, valve-stems removed, etc.
- All dirt/grease removed
- They are quite rusty on the inside of the wheels

Would next step be?:
1. Sandblast wheels using sandblasting cabinet
2. Dry-sand wheels using grits 180 to 600 (is this step required?)
3. Clean with wax and grease remover
4. Paint wheels with 3 coats of regular primer using air compressor (I haven't pick a paint yet)
5. Paint wheels with 3 coats of regular base coats using air compressor
6. Paint wheels with 3 coats of regular clear coat using air compressor
7. Bake each wheel in a conventional oven for 1 hour at 250 degrees celsius (this is the max. temp of the oven)
8. Leave to cure for 1 month

Further questions are:
- What is the best way to hang a wheel for painting?
- I am quite concerned about missing a spot of rust somewhere and painting over it. What negative effects would occur if this happens?
- Should I do 1/2/all wheels at time?

I am an amateur and this is my first resto. project.
I'd great appreciate any/all advise.
Apologies for the long post.

Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for advise on next steps Reply with quote

A wheel is a collection of parts since before WW2 in the automotive world. Rim, tire, tire stem or inner tube at a minimum to make a wheel.

Rims are a good candidate for powder coating. A powder coating shop will take cleaned (especially of grease and oils) rims for them to sand blast and color coat. If you go that way do have the PC shop apply a Marine Primer (that has a zinc content) before the color coat. The Marine Primer will help to vastly slow any rust getting under it and the color coat when they are chipped, scratched or dinged, etc..

The only downfall of PC is that where the inner and outer parts of the rim are welded together so as to form a "V" the coating can make the coating thin or not at all. So if you can not find an exact color match in the PC coating, you could scuff the PC coatings up and apply a wet paint/s to the outer side of the rims.

Any rust left under normal paint is just going to come back to haunt you.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for advise on next steps Reply with quote

Hello KrisKay. Fellow Sydney-ite with an original '68 in resto.

I would save yourself a lot of trouble and do the following for your tunnel.

1. Remove all the loose and flaking rust with wire-brushing, sanding, grinding whatever your preference is.
2. Research KBS Coatings. A local Australian company doing similar coatings to the US POR15.

Their three step process is to use an alkaline cleaning solution to remove grease and oils, then a rust converting step which stabilises rusty areas and provides a key to paint and finally a rust encapsulating polyurethane hard as nails coating to finish off. This can all be very successfully painted by brush (cheap brushes, throw away - but do not get it on your hands as it takes weeks to get off - use gloves).

Some of their products and literature is here.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/product/chassis-coater-kit/

Prior to painting with the top coat mentioned above (around the area where the heat affected zone of the welding is going to be on the tunnel), spray that area with some sort of weld through primer. You can use either a copper based spray, or a zinc based gal spray to paint that area. I used Gal-Met zinc spray available from Bunnings. Then paint all the rest of the tunnel inside with the KBS. Weld and then paint the outsides.

Inevitably part of the paint will burn off around the HAZ when you weld. You can flood the area around it with some more of the KBS paint. There are enough holes in the tunnel that you can rig up some brushes attached to sticks to cover any burnt areas.

If you are fortunate that you can even tip the chassis on its side, the paint will flow back into the tunnel to bottom plate and give you coverage. The picture of my chassis mounted on two engine stands allows you to rotate the chassis. After I welded in new floor pans, I was able to completely flood the inside of the tunnel with paint by having it stand vertically. Filled the tunnel with paint and waited for the inevitable drips coming through the tunnel to pan intersection. Let it dry for a few days, then painted the floor pans top and bottom with KBS by brush and finally seam sealed the tunnel to pan area. Came out like glass.

You CAN spray the KBS but cleaning your gun will be a PAIN.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KrisKay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for advise on next steps Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank you both for your responses.

viiking, your post has really influenced me. After researching KBS Coatings, I decided to do exactly what you recommended. I've also purchased two of the same engine stands from Supercheap.

I wanted to ask:
- How many litres did you use to paint your chassis assembly?
- How many coats of KBS?
- Did you paint the front axle assembly with KBS also?

I will share a pic of mine after I'm done.

Thanks again.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Request for advise on next steps Reply with quote

KrisKay wrote:
I just wanted to thank you both for your responses.

viiking, your post has really influenced me. After researching KBS Coatings, I decided to do exactly what you recommended. I've also purchased two of the same engine stands from Supercheap.

I wanted to ask:
- How many litres did you use to paint your chassis assembly?
- How many coats of KBS?
- Did you paint the front axle assembly with KBS also?

With the engine stands, be wary when turning the chassis as it CAN tip over. You need to have all the legs extended as far as you can. I was restricted by room in the garage and compromised my set-up a little and had a couple of incidents where the chassis wanted to fall off. Also connect the two engine stands with some rope, wire or a ratchet strap to stop the engine stands separating off the yoke.

How many litres did you use to paint your chassis assembly?

I goes a long way. I bought the small tins so that I didn't open too many things at once. It does go off if you open the tin and don't use it all. If you have a MIG welder, you can always fill the half empty can with some Argon/CO2 mix from your gun (without welding of course) to displace the air.

From memory I would start with a litre. Buy it direct from KBS so you get the freshest stock. Some of the resellers may have had their stock on the shelves for some time.

How many coats of KBS.

I did two, within the time recommended by KBS. I also bought their "Tie Coat" if you wanted to paint over it. I used the KBS inside my doors and quarter panels as the primary rust preventer, then the tie coat so I could get the inside painted with the body colour.

Did you paint the front axle assembly with KBS also?

Yes. But you have to spend the time to clean everything down. No grease to be present.

Here's a photo of the front end. Painted by brush. Buy the cheap brushes that KBS sells not anything from Bunnings as they don't last.

Finally WEAR THE GLOVES. If you get it on your hands, or face it does NOT come off without abrading your skin.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: