Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uladk84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I could do with some help identifying a solid yellow wire in the engine bay of my 72 crossover (UK).

The yellow wire exits the rear harness, with a thicker ground wire near the right D-pillar. The PO had wired these two together into one ground spade, but I'm not confident it is correct. The spade is connected to the female spade welded onto the D-pillar.

I've checked the wiring diagrams for both a 71 and 72 and can't see a yellow wire used for anything in the engine bay area. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with testing either.

How it looked when I got the van:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How it looks now tidied up:

Any ideas?
Cheers
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

Welcome!

When you say "72 crossover (UK)" do you mean it's a UK delivered bus that came with a 1600?, or it's a 1700 powered North American bus that's now in the UK?
When you peel back the jacket on that harness can you find any remnants of stripes or bands in either red or black on that wire?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
uladk84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

busdaddy,

No evidence of red or black striping. It is a UK delivered bus with the chassis code starting with 222 (Aug 71 to July 72 as I understand).

The van came with a 1541cc beetle engine in it though. Is it possible mine could have originally had a Type 4 engine? My engine bay has the oil filter bath platform on the right if that helps ID it.

EDIT: A MOT test certificate from 1981 is listing it as 1600cc so I assume Type 1.

Cheers
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

Sounds like an original 1600 bus, so that means the only wire in the engine compartment with yellow would have been the yellow/red for the electrolite sensor on the original battery. If that's it the other end is terminal #7 in the test socket on the roof of the engine compartment, try a continuity test on it to see if that's it. If it isn't then only your previous owner knows what it does, good luck.

Here's the diagram for a 72 1600 bus:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

Looks like it is being used as a ground.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

It does, but that doesn't mean is meant to do that, PO's get some really creative ideas sometimes.

Слава Україні!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

I recently took all the covering off my wiring harness front to back. I have owned my 73 bus since 1990. Before that, it belonged to my grandmother, who did not hack the wiring.

I found lots of crazy stuff that I didn’t do. Wires spliced deep within the harness using different colors but looked factory because they had OEM terminals. Wire also fades, gets dirty or even changes color. A few wires had melted insulation in various places.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Sounds like an original 1600 bus, so that means the only wire in the engine compartment with yellow would have been the yellow/red for the electrolite sensor on the original battery. If that's it the other end is terminal #7 in the test socket on the roof of the engine compartment, try a continuity test on it to see if that's it. If it isn't then only your previous owner knows what it does, good luck.

Here's the diagram for a 72 1600 bus:

I have a 1973 VW "1600" Type 2, which was originally factory-fitted with an AD-Series, 1584 cc, VW Type 1 style air-cooled engine.

I don't recall any yellow wires anywhere within the wiring loom, apart from the front headlamp dipped beams in the front cab and a yellowish wire to the diagnostic socket in the engine compartment, which has since been removed after the "computer diagnosis system" became redundant.

My wiring loom has been extensively revised, so some of the colour-coding has been changed from the VW factory-standard system. It seemed illogical to use a blue/red wire for the courtesy-light supply, so I substituted a red/blue wire instead, using blue/red for one of my many supplementary warning lights; blue/tracer-colour being consistent with other warning lights (e.g. blue/white for headlamp main beam).

The platform on the right-hand side of the engine compartment suggests that the vehicle's originally factory-fitted with an AD-Series, 1584 cc, VW Type 1 style air-cooled engine.

The vehicle's embossed aluminium identification plate, on the bulkhead behind the RHD driver's seat, will give a hiezig typ code for the exhaust heat exchangers, which is different for the Type 1 and Type 4 style engines.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uladk84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input guys.

I have a friend who has the same year bus so I took a peek in the engine bay, and he had the exact same setup: a brown combined with a yellow wire that was grounded at the bottom of the D-pillar. His van has not been touched either with everything still original, including the yellow/red test wire from the battery.

His van is a Dormobile conversion like mine, so it's possible it was added by them I suppose. No idea where the yellow wire originates though without opening up the loom.

Cheers all
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

Interesting, well as long as everything works It may be best to leave that sleeping dog alone.

Слава Україні!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine bay solid yellow wire identification on 72 crossover Reply with quote

uladk84 wrote:
Thanks for all your input guys.

I have a friend who has the same year bus so I took a peek in the engine bay, and he had the exact same setup: a brown combined with a yellow wire that was grounded at the bottom of the D-pillar. His van has not been touched either with everything still original, including the yellow/red test wire from the battery.

His van is a Dormobile conversion like mine, so it's possible it was added by them I suppose. No idea where the yellow wire originates though without opening up the loom.

Cheers all

they are BOTH genuine Dormobile campers? It COULD be that they did some changes. They were marching to different drummers.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: