Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big gap between my steering and plastic housing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Big gap between my steering and plastic housing Reply with quote

I'll send a pic when I have time but, any ideas why I have about a 1\2 inch gap between my stearring wheel and the plastic housing under? I can put my fingers in between the steering and the housing! + my horn does not work... Am I missing a piece?

My flashers and wipers are working good...
Does anyone have a diagram or picture to help me out?

New bus owner
Not a mechanic and trying to learn!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Big gap between my steering and plastic housing Reply with quote

marc_music_mich wrote:
I'll send a pic when I have time but, any ideas why I have about a 1\2 inch gap between my stearring wheel and the plastic housing under? I can put my fingers in between the steering and the housing! + my horn does not work... Am I missing a piece?

My flashers and wipers are working good...
Does anyone have a diagram or picture to help me out?

1975 Bus Wink

New bus owner
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Big gap between my steering and plastic housing Reply with quote

There is a pinch bolt you need to loosen and then slide the plastic housing back up closer to the wheel. I'll try to upload a picture a bit later if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Big gap between my steering and plastic housing Reply with quote

Check the condition of the rag joint (steering coupling) at the bottom of the steering shaft where it connects to the steering gear.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Big gap between my steering and plastic housing Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's here if you haven't found it already. The bracket might need to be tweaked a bit so it squeezes tighter.

Looks like mine could use a bit of adjustment too.
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Big gap between my steering and plastic housing Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's here if you haven't found it already. The bracket might need to be tweaked a bit so it squeezes tighter.

Looks like mine could use a bit of adjustment too.

Oh!! I'll take a look at that!! thanks!!

New bus owner
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Big gap between my steering and plastic housing Reply with quote

Ok be careful, that might be a tamper proof bolt that is designed to shear ... might have to be carefully extracted if it's still there.
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Big gap between my steering and plastic housing Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Ok be careful, that might be a tamper proof bolt that is designed to shear ... might have to be carefully extracted if it's still there.

I'm good... I have already changed the ignition switch and that bold was already changed (follow Ratwell's steps...) but I did not know that it can move up and down the column! I'll do that first thing when I get back home (working right now haha)

New bus owner
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Big gap between my steering and plastic housing Reply with quote

Great timing for a project/issue I have for this as well.

My original bolt was in place, but the housing had slid down enough to leave one turn signal non working (only one side though). I chiseled the bolt head and got it out and reinserted it about 2 years ago. I got the housing where it needed to be for everything to function properly.

Over time it slid down again - to where neither turn signal will cancel.
I snugged the bold (with the largest screwdriver I have), but it slid down again.
I replaced the bolt with an 8mm Alan head bolt - of the same length. When I tightened to down, the housing would not 'grip' hard enough to hold it in place, and it would slide down over the course of a 5 minute drive.

I tried a slightly longer bolt (I bought 5 different lengths) but got the same result. It seems the threads on the bolt after taking it back out are a bit 'flattened' for about the last 2 turns of the threads. I can no longer get the bolt to tighten- really at all. It will grip, but not tighten. I only tried the next longer bolt and not any longer than that one because I don't know how the receiving end works.

I am not really sure how this collar 'grips' the steering shaft. Is only the second, receiving portion, of the collar threaded, and the bolt head provides the 'squeeze' on an unthreaded leading portion? Or are both portions threaded? Do I actually need a shorter bolt so the head AND threads 'squeeze'?

Is there a solution for squeezing my collar?

Thanks
andreWTF
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Big gap between my steering and plastic housing Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Great timing for a project/issue I have for this as well.

My original bolt was in place, but the housing had slid down enough to leave one turn signal non working (only one side though). I chiseled the bolt head and got it out and reinserted it about 2 years ago. I got the housing where it needed to be for everything to function properly.

Over time it slid down again - to where neither turn signal will cancel.
I snugged the bold (with the largest screwdriver I have), but it slid down again.
I replaced the bolt with an 8mm Alan head bolt - of the same length. When I tightened to down, the housing would not 'grip' hard enough to hold it in place, and it would slide down over the course of a 5 minute drive.

I tried a slightly longer bolt (I bought 5 different lengths) but got the same result. It seems the threads on the bolt after taking it back out are a bit 'flattened' for about the last 2 turns of the threads. I can no longer get the bolt to tighten- really at all. It will grip, but not tighten. I only tried the next longer bolt and not any longer than that one because I don't know how the receiving end works.

I am not really sure how this collar 'grips' the steering shaft. Is only the second, receiving portion, of the collar threaded, and the bolt head provides the 'squeeze' on an unthreaded leading portion? Or are both portions threaded? Do I actually need a shorter bolt so the head AND threads 'squeeze'?

Is there a solution for squeezing my collar?

Thanks
andreWTF

PLZ Someone tell me otherwise if it might not be a good idea... I'm just thinking out loud... shorter bolt would be best so it doesn't hit it's maximum tightness...

In a last resort...Would it be a good idea to just add a pipe collar under the housing and tight it there to keep it up?

New bus owner
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: