Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

They are the 36mm Dellortos mentioned in the first post. Cleaning is happening now with new gaskets and 'O' rings. Setting float levels etc.

I was specifically referring to the heavy casting flash in the ID of the throat.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Yes that is an oem dellorto venturi.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Still working to rebuild these 36mm Dellortos. I kept running into issues and that has slowed progress. It's going well finally. I was slowed down by my complete unfamiliarity with Dellortos. I had to order parts several times. But it's coming along.

I have all of the parts and initial run of the engine is close.

All four washers for the Idle Mixture control screws were missing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A challenge figuring out where the O rings go.

Installed flaps in the CB shroud too.

Mike T

mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

How far are you along on the carburetors, did you get your o rings figure it out?
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

mcdragracer wrote:
How far are you along on the carburetors, did you get your o rings figure it out?

I did figure out the O rings. One is done and pre tuned and mounted on the engine. About 1/2 way on the other one. This is my first time with Dellortos. My limited experience rebuilding carbs is Holley 4bbls and Solex singles. These were intimidating at first but this 2nd one is going better now that I am more familiar with all the parts.

Th O rings want to stick in their bores when installing the jets etc. I actually tore one up screwing in the Manometer fitting. The rubber wants to stick to the carb bores. Is there some lube that I can use that won't hurt the o rings?

Mike T

mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

On all my carb rebuilds, I always put a little dab of oil on all of the O-rings and all of the threads for the screws so everything moves and seats in nice and easy, just regular motor oil will work, and of course I'll answer any questions you have with these carburetors, as you're finding out they shouldn't be as intimidating they're actually very easy to work with but you figure a few things out. If I ever dig into a four-barrel Holly which I've never done I'll know who to talk to😁
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Details, details.

Almost ready to fire up.

Mike T

Last edited by BIGMIKEY on Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Nice! Bet your getting excited for the start up, hopefully everythibg goes as planned.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Those foil fresh air hoses always burn through so I made some steel bypass tubes. Lots of cutting and welding but they turned out good. I used mandrel bent 2" exhaust tubing.

Mike T

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

Started it today and it actually runs ok. Ititially it was running on 3&4 only. I needed to adjust the idle speed screw on the right carb I used the snail synchrometer and got the readings the same. I then adjusted the mixture screws to get the smoothest idle. This is my first set of dual carbs so i'm learning as I go. Also the 034 distributor I was using had some sort of an issue. I think the mechanical advance was sticking. I switched over to a 009 that I had and it was immediately better. Right now total advance is at 30° at 3k rpm. currently idles at 1000rpm. I will be doing more tuning.

Mike T

Link

mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them? Reply with quote

From the video, sounds real good! 👍
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added running video) Reply with quote

The Dellorto 36mm carbs needed a lot of work to get right. They were abused and missing some parts. The mixture screws had been adjusted by some ape with no sense of torque. Various other outrages. I worked my way through with help from Mcdragracer and reading a lot.

From what I found when i took them apart I wasn't sure how they would work but it runs pretty well. I'm happy with the results.

I added a video of the engine running after rebuilding the carbs. it's going in my 1973 Beetle

Mike T

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video) Reply with quote

Just about done. Just need to wire gauges and take it for a test drive. Get it warmed up so I can fine tune.

Mike T

mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video) Reply with quote

Looking real good! Glad to hear you got your carbs sorted out and our operating well!
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video) Reply with quote

Took it out for a test drive today. Ran good. No drama at all. Smooth acceleration, no hesitation, pops, backfires or anything. No rich smell of gas. Idled nice at stops. Nice and smooth from stops with no hesitation. Where the old engine would accelerate and strain up to the shift point this pulled strong right up to the shift. Sounds amazing. It would accelerate in 4th gear from 25mph with no issue. The cooling system worked, the flaps that I installed in the CB doghouse shroud apparently did their job. The engine feels quite a bit more powerful that the old 1600. A successful outcome.

Next to install the wide band gauge and start fine tuning. Thanks to all that offered advice thus far.

Mike T

Excuse my mess.

j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video) Reply with quote

Great update, good job on your project.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video) Reply with quote

I have several hundred miles on this 1600 equipped with 36mm Dellorto carburetors with no issues. I want to thank mcdragracer, Rome, 67rustavenger and evanfrucht for the information I needed to rebuild and successfully install these carbs. Next is the installation of the wide band to fine tune.

Mike T

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video) Reply with quote

We're glad that you could put our collective experience and input into practice, so that the engine is running well. Now you don't have to slink along in the right lane on the freeways, and can probably out-accelerate sluggard Prius and Hondas. Enjoy the new driving power!
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video) Reply with quote

There's lots of good people here to help, always satisfying when you get to that point when things are working well and enjoying driving your bug!
Those Dell's will last you a life time.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What Manifolds have a "D" cast into them?(added video) Reply with quote

It's been a great summer. I put over 950 miles on the 1600 equipped with rebuilt Dellortos that I swapped into the beetle in July and had great fun doing it. I did get the Air Fuel ratio gauge in it and with help from the Wide band thread I started tuning. But I ran out of time and weather. The engine does run well with no evil behavior. Nice and smooth with excellent power. Decent gas mileage too. Best Mileage was 26.3 and the car is a joy to drive. The beetle is put away for the winter now. Looking forward to spring and serious jet tuning.

Mike T

Current specs:
1973 beetle 4 speed - 4.125:1 R&P
1600cc
stock heads, stock valves, Heads have the step 113.101.375A
Flat top pistons no dish
stock rockers
Compression 125 – 135. Compression ratio 7.5:1
stock dished cam
stock oil pump
Dellorto 36DRLA on straight manifolds. (no idea who made them)
30mm Venturis
9164.2 emulsion tubes,
Mains 122,
airs 180,
Idle .54
accelerator 50
stock diameter aluminum degreed pulley.
009 distributor with Points and condenser timed at 28° at 3K rpm
1.375” small flange headers and Hideaway QP muffler
stock heater boxes

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: