Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto stick conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Now go buy yourself a lottery ticket
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Yeah or find a buddy who's bored and likes VW's.
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

what part of central va are you in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Not that far from Dillwyn, I'm in Waynesboro.

M
mloret
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

Would it be better to buy a used but resurfaced flywheel (I assume OEM) or a new one from JBugs or some other retailer? Imagine shipping isn’t an issue.
KeensGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

If anyone can give some insight on how this conversion is done I'd appreciate it. I'm converting my '72 Ghia soon.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I’ve owned one autostick, one Type 4 with automatic trans, and one bus with an automatic trans. The autostick, I bought for my wife back in 1975 because she had never driven before. The other two VW’s were fully automatics? Well, that’s just the way they came. My current, and all the rest of my past VW’s were manuals. To me, they were all just variations of VW’s, and I never disliked one over the other.

I honestly don’t understand why anyone would spend the time and money to convert an autostick to a manual. Is it some manly thing? Do owners really think they’ll save that much more on gas, or that they can go that much faster?

My prediction is this: autosticks will eventually be more expensive than manual VW’s. They’re not only much rarer, they’re also easier to drive for the newer generation, as well as some older folks that are beginning to have problems clutching, but still want to drive a vintage VW.

In fact, as time wears on, I’ll probably, eventually, sell my Sun Bug, and buy a really nice autostick. I don’t really race around town anymore, so getting off the line a little faster is not big on my list of must-have’s. And I certainly don’t give a shit about anyone else’s opinion of the sissyness of owning an autostick.

Yep, you never know; I might even trade the ole Sun Bug if a really nice autostick comes along. Damn, I might even trade for a “fat-chick” autostick.

Hell, I’m not proud.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
KeensGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I'm going the performance route 2110cc engine. The autostick just can't take the extra horsepower. I have a brand new trans from Rancho and I've ordered the conversion kit from SoCal. I was just looking for some advice from those who have completed this swap.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I’d familiarize myself with search, it’s been covered here in detail and has links to pictures and a parts list.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

The guy at the burger king drive thru a couple days ago told me if I ever wanted to sell my bug let him know. I immediately informed him it was an autostick he said "I know that's why I like it." Shocked Shocked the sh&* out of me

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
warriorbass05
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto stick conversion Reply with quote

I had one initially and the engine was absolutely screaming on the freeway at 65 mph. I am looking at one now for intown driving just for fun, since I have 3 other VWs....anyone driving them encounter engine issues at higher speeds with no overdrive?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: