Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon mechanic - Southeast US (Georgia, TN, Carolinas)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon mechanic - Southeast US (Georgia, TN, Carolinas) Reply with quote

That's very unfortunate. Its so easy to communicate with your clients nowadays that there's really no excuse. I find the key is just keeping them informed of where we are in the process.

Pix help, too!! Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon mechanic - Southeast US (Georgia, TN, Carolinas) Reply with quote

Chris

Get Van Diesel back, pay the bill, move on. At some point, you have to accept that you have to take over the repairs on these things yourself, unless you are in Berkeley.

That limp mode after boost probably isn’t a major issue, most maps build in a safety blowoff if boost or MAP gets too high. Does it reset with a key off / on sequence ?

No defense of timlieness or communication skills, but to be fair to garage, they can make 4x the money and margin doing brake jobs and oil changes vs working even a working restoration list.
chrismsnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon mechanic - Southeast US (Georgia, TN, Carolinas) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

No defense of timlieness or communication skills, but to be fair to garage, they can make 4x the money and margin doing brake jobs and oil changes vs working even a working restoration list.

Okay, stupid question then.. if they aren't working off of a well defined list of mechanical issues... how do they make money? LOL I'm willing to fill up a week's worth of work for them in hours...

I agree with your "work on it yourself" comment as I'm slowly trying to become more proficient. In the meantime, that's why this thread was started... to see if there's anyone closer.
https://vwvandiesel.com
Instagram @VW_VanDiesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon mechanic - Southeast US (Georgia, TN, Carolinas) Reply with quote

If they haven’t pulled it in to the shop in 6-7weeks it is time to go pick it up. Changing the fuel lines is a do it yourself project. There are lot of people that are good with TDI engine’s you don’t need a vanagon/old vw mechanic to fix it. It sounds like you can drive it and have some fun for the summer. I would do that. It is much easier for a shop to work on a well defined list of problems rather than a vague figure out what is wrong with it. Maybe you have had those decision with the mechanic all ready. If they are a restoration shop maybe fixing the drivability problem is not in there skill set. In any case you need to take two and punt. Go pick it and make a plan B. Start a thread about the turbo/drivability problem with as much detail as you can. I bet someone will volunteer to help(maybe not free). I hope this helps. John
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon mechanic - Southeast US (Georgia, TN, Carolinas) Reply with quote

chrismsnt wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Okay, stupid question then.. if they aren't working off of a well defined list of mechanical issues... how do they make money? LOL I'm willing to fill up a week's worth of work for them in hours...

I agree with your "work on it yourself" comment as I'm slowly trying to become more proficient. In the meantime, that's why this thread was started... to see if there's anyone closer.

The well defined set of tasks quickly vanishes in an antique car. The moment it is up on rack, fasteners are non standard, frozen, galled. The 4 hour rack time goes to 8. That 8 hours could easily have been filled with 4 standard brake jobs quoted at 4 hours and taking 2 each. The breach between the book and a good tech is the big margin difference.

Let’s get her home and then tackle stuff together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: