Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera Stuff FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
You guys are killing me. He's describing a Westfalia 🤪

Maybe not. If his goes straight up, it ain't Westy, regardless of front or back.

azceleste wrote:
I know they all go straight up.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

there were not small westy pop tops? even on splits?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
there were not small westy pop tops? even on splits?

Yep, but this is the bay forum, and split pop tops were nearly perfectly centered, not front or back.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Well as usual, a couple of crumbs and no meat. Rolling Eyes Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Does anyone have an old Riviera pop top tent they don't need?

I've purchased Sunbrella fabric to make a replacement top for mine, and need an old one to make a pattern from.

While I'm at it, if there's any interest, I can make patterns for other Riviera owners who want to make their own top.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Does anyone have an old Riviera pop top tent they don't need?

I've purchased Sunbrella fabric to make a replacement top for mine, and need an old one to make a pattern from.

While I'm at it, if there's any interest, I can make patterns for other Riviera owners who want to make their own top.

Are you talking about the yellow surround when the top is up? I understand wanting to make your own, but last I heard you can still get one from the company that made them when new. Price was @ $400 for the stock fabric. I seem to recall that they could make them in other colors and textiles, too.

EDIT: Just found the info. About half way down this page, user Ives676 mentions it and show pics of his new canvas.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663796&highlight=riviera
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks cdennisg...
Yes, I've seen that thread. And Andrewtf was kind enough to pm me with his sources.

However, I'd like to make my own and make some modifications. I built my own cabinetry, replaced flooring, and recovered the bench myself. It's a DIY obsession.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Kent, I see an empty fire extinguisher holster where either a fire extinguisher or bottle opener should be……

Text me tomorrow; my client in NH is thinking about replacing her late Rivi canvas, and I bet she'd send the old one over if you asked nicely. Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Kent, I see an empty fire extinguisher holster where either a fire extinguisher or bottle opener should be……

Text me tomorrow; my client in NH is thinking about replacing her late Rivi canvas, and I bet she'd send the old one over if you asked nicely. Smile

Robbie

Yup, the fire extinguisher was put back in after the pic was taken.
And the even-more-important bottle opener is attached to the side of the painted cabinet just out of view of the camera.

Thanks for the lead! I'll text you tomorrow/today... Laughing

---WildIdea

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Thanks cdennisg...
Yes, I've seen that thread. And Andrewtf was kind enough to pm me with his sources.

However, I'd like to make my own and make some modifications. I built my own cabinetry, replaced flooring, and recovered the bench myself. It's a DIY obsession.

Understandable. Making things yourself is fun.

Please do share your results with us when you finish it up.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

I'm interested to see the end results too, we are hopefully going to replace ours when time allows.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

That's good to know others are interested in doing the same thing.
So I'll take pics and make patterns of the process and share it here.
Still hoping to find an old one to use, though, so I can still use mine until the new one is ready to install.

Florida State Parks are opening up for camping this week!
Next week I'll be camping and kayaking near the beach north of Daytona. Dancing

---WildIdea

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
That's good to know others are interested in doing the same thing.
So I'll take pics and make patterns of the process and share it here.
Still hoping to find an old one to use, though, so I can still use mine until the new one is ready to install.

Florida State Parks are opening up for camping this week!
Next week I'll be camping and kayaking near the beach north of Daytona. Dancing

If I had one here, I would absolutely send it to you. I know of nobody right now that has one loose from a bus.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

I'm finally getting ready to remove the original canvas from Chloe, and start the process of making a new one.

However, here's a question for the long-time Riviera owners:
How is the plywood frame (see the pic below) attached to the fiberglass top?

One side of my frame has come loose from the top, which makes me nervous since it's where the one of the four hooks keep the top down while driving.

And if anyone has experience in making their own tent, I'd like to hear how it went. I'm making it out of Sunbrella fabric, so it will not be as stiff as the English yellow raincoat (as WilliamM calls it Laughing )

Since this will be a winter-time project for me, I plan on taking my time, take lots of pictures, and maybe making patterns for other Sambanistas to use if they want to make their own.
The best part of The Samba is the sharing of knowledge, and it's about time I start to give back.

---WildIdea

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Kent -

I'll find a photo later at home (being the office cleaning crew and accountant today) but the wood strips are fiberglassed into the top. They are screwed to some small wood blocks at the ends and center (made of 1x material - and the strips are screwed to the edge of the 1x) and fiberglassed into the top itself.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709845&highlight=

Look at Emma's thread (above) for restoring a pop top - you can see photos of this.
I think it will help answer your question.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew!
That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize the ceiling needed to come off too.
Better to find out now than when I get deep into the project.

It was good of you and Exceptional Emma to document and post your work. Applause

---WildIdea

Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Curtains and stuff Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I replaced my curtain track and sliders with the parts talked about in the https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...6cf4e803bf link but now I'm wondering.. what did the original curtains look like? When I got my Riviera... it had DIY curtains in really bad shape. I don't even have a reference for what they are supposed to look like unless Riviera copied the Westy design like they did the interior. Anyone sitting on photos of OG Riviera curtains??

This is about all I have showing what was in my bus when I bought it..

Late to the party and not sure I can remember how to post pics here but the 1970 Riviera curtains with identical interior as yours only with fake marble looking table tops had brown, charcoal, tan and white (?) plaid curtains.

VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

Did Riviera make Campers from Panels?
My grandfather bought this ‘68 a while back. There’s not much of the interior left but the windows, the top and what’s left are making me lean toward Riviera?
Anyone have any insight? I know the pictures aren’t great but he has it in the corner of his shop at the moment.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

They certainly did in the split window era, so I suppose it isn't a stretch to think they would have used them in later builds.

I have seen that exact window and pop top setup used for a 1968 Road Runner conversion. We will need to see more photos, especially any tags and the interior details to be sure.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Riviera Stuff FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
They certainly did in the split window era, so I suppose it isn't a stretch to think they would have used them in later builds.

I have seen that exact window and pop top setup used for a 1968 Road Runner conversion. We will need to see more photos, especially any tags and the interior details to be sure.

Being that I’m the family VW guy, I’ve been tasked with helping get it going. Next time I go over I will be able to get inside and see if there are any distinctive interior pieces left. I could barely get the sliding door open.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: