Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

All the help from the Samba experts is appreciated.

I got the new injectors installed and the van is running great. I’d like to install a boost gauge and controller and install a bung for a EGT probe but it doesn’t really need to go any faster.

We had a nice two day camping trip to Oregon coast this past weekend. 400 trouble free miles. I love the area around Yachats.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

Glad to hear it's working for you. So a bad pump was the root cause?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

I wish Root cause was always 100% obtainable.

I think I’d say root cause was grease in the taper on the cam sprocket. When I cleaned it with brake cleaner I saw a fair amount of crud on the shop towel. Once I corrected the timing issue, the van went from not starting to running fairly ok with the old pump. Maybe 7 months of sitting didn’t do the old pump any good.

On the other hand, it had been harder to start and was occasionally running rough before so maybe that was the pump having issues and the rough running jarred the timing off in which case the root cause could have been the pump.
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

The van has done great over several thousand good miles and many fun camping trips, except that although it starts up and idles without much smoke, the first acceleration results in a big cloud of blue smoke. It’s a little embarrassing when we wave goodbye and then take off in a smoke screen. My theory is that the turbo drain line doesn’t have enough (or any) slope and the oil is collecting in the intake when it sits and then blowing into the engine when the airflow increases during acceleration. After the first ½ mile it’s fine. The bearings in the turbo feel good as far as I can tell. The issue might be getting a little worse because I just noticed a few drops of oil on the floor for the first time.

I was thinking of maybe buying an aftermarket turbo diesel oil pan to replace the non-turbo oil pan I have and making a new drain line that goes to the pan instead of the block. Do you think this would do the trick or am I on the wrong track?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
daltonhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Glad to hear it's working for you. So a bad pump was the root cause?

I keep thinking about this and my wife has mentioned a few times that she thinks the one time she drove it before it starting acting up had some effect on it. Something about her being out of practice with a stick shift. Makes me think that maybe she went into 3rd instead of 5th or otherwise over-sped or jarred the engine and caused the cam sprocket to turn a little. So I think the cam sprocket rotating was the root cause and getting a better pump just made a further improvement.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: M-TDI Vanagon Suddenly Blowing Huge Clouds of White smoke Reply with quote

daltonhawk wrote:

I was thinking of maybe buying an aftermarket turbo diesel oil pan to replace the non-turbo oil pan I have and making a new drain line that goes to the pan instead of the block. Do you think this would do the trick or am I on the wrong track?

that definitely seems like it would be a good place to start. you can always play with line sizing, angles, etc after that but youll have a good start on a lowest-point-in-the-system connection for the drain line with that new pan

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: