Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Windshield Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm gonna start putting my windshield in.
I bought new rubbers but now I found out there are 2 kinds.One for the t strips and one for the c strips.
I have a 63 and have the c strips.
Can anyone tell from picture 1 if I have the correct rubber.
I've been looking some videos but I'm still not sure where the window goes in?Is it the opening on picture2?
It seems it 's gonna be a tough one...

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

That side of the rubber seal goes into the window frame. The thicker side on the left of picture 2 goes to the outside of the frame, it will spread out around the windshield frame, the smaller side will slip over and attach to the inside of the windshield frame.

On the other side of the rubber seal it should have a single deep channel where it fits onto the windshield. I just did this to mine over the weekend and it was kind of confusing at first. It helps if you can set it in the sun before installing it onto the glass as it will be very tight when stretching over that last corner.

Can't help you with the window chrome as I have Cal look solid seal.
Hope this helps,
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Jeff,

Clear to me now but it is indeed confusing if you look at the seal.I managed to get the seal around the glass,I put the seal in warm water before which I think helped.
Pain in my hands though...
Tomorrow next step.Putting the windshield in the car and hopefully I have the good seal.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

Happy to help. Let us know how the windshield goes in. Some have a lot of difficulty and others have no problems.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

You really want to figure out if you have the correct seal before you start. There's a bit of a learning curve with this and you don't need to waste your time and materials messing around with the wrong seal. If you haven't already, check the stickies. There are some great threads available. This one in particular should be very helpful for you as it deals with the "C" channel trim. It has some excellent drawings and pictures of the seal you should be working with:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ghia_...nstall.pdf

Another helpful thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135766

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Marc.They sure will be a great help.
I installed the rubbers on the windows so far.First was a pain, second went a lot easier.
I'll now have to cut the headliner in the wright shape before trying to push the windows in ....
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

Well we finally made a try to get the windshield in.Wife pulling the cable me pushing as hell sitting in the trunk and yes first attempt window is in ,but ...look at the pictures.
The inner lip is seated well but somehow the window is not fully in the opening,it seems to be too big!!!The outer lip is standing upward and you can push the window rather easy out.
This is impossible while it is the window that was in the car when I bought it.
i tried nearly everything to push it in but noway,I was also scared to break it...
Finally I removed the window again.So here I am,I read a lot here on the samba about the windshield but this problem I didn't see coming by.
Anyone an idea?

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

Are you using trim? I believe its better to put rubber on windshield, trim in rubber then all into the opening. Yeah yours is going to have to come out again. Pics are not clear enough to see what issue is.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

I believe there are two size windshields.
It turns out that the one I had replaced in my ‘59 was too small— the new larger one seemed tight at first but the installer agreed that, when it was in, it was the right one.
He did trim it before putting it in:

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

Is it possible you have the rubber backwards? That is, the side you now have outside, should be the other way? It looks like the side you have out is the smaller side which goes inside and the larger 'lip' seals around the outside.
Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Is it possible you have the rubber backwards? That is, the side you now have outside, should be the other way? It looks like the side you have out is the smaller side which goes inside and the larger 'lip' seals around the outside.
Jeff

I 2nd what Jeff said. I think the seal looks reversed if that's even possible. Once you have it out again, try to insert a short section of the seal by itself onto the opening to see if it looks normal. Then try to flip it over and try the same thing. You should be able to visualize how it all goes together? Close-up pictures of the seal around the windshield before putting it on the car would be helpful.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

ehhhh....I don't think this is possible ,I have the opening for the c type trim at the outside .
I have it out again and I'm gonna try to put the trim in first but then again it can only be more difficult to put it in I guess.
Still strange ,everything looked good I really can't say what I did wrong,that's what bothers me.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

Your pictures seem to show that the windshield is much higher than the opening, as if suspended over the opening rather than down "in" the opening. Any chance you have the wrong seal?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:

how does the other side look?

For some reason my mind wants to think that it read somewhere that the windshield opening was the same and the rubber made up the difference in fitting for the 2 windshield sizes. So if the "T" trim rubber with "C" trim windshield it would be too big and "C" trim rubber with "T" trim windshield would fit loose. Or vice versa.
But my mind is not what it used to.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
ELFRIED wrote:

For some reason my mind wants to think that it read somewhere that the windshield opening was the same and the rubber made up the difference in fitting for the 2 windshield sizes. So if the "T" trim rubber with "C" trim windshield it would be too big and "C" trim rubber with "T" trim windshield would fit loose. Or vice versa.

The C channel rubber wont take a T style trim in the groove.
The T style rubber wont take a C style trim in the groove.
If you put the trim in you will know if its the right or wrong rubber seal.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

The C channel rubber wont take a T style trim in the groove.
The T style rubber wont take a C style trim in the groove.
If you put the trim in you will know if its the right or wrong rubber seal.

I think he means, simplified, an early windshield with late rubber and trim would be too tight, and a late windshield with early rubber and trim would be too loose. I don't think he's saying to fit late trim in early rubber, etc.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

Thanks for the info ,let's hope I got the good rubbers.Well I got yesterday the rear window in without trouble.
Still in one angle I got the same thing that the outer lip is not on the window but a bit uprising but at a whole it's not a bad fit.
So I think I should be able to do this the same at front(assuming the rubber is the good one) though I still don't know what I did else...

Only I may not think how on earth I'm gonna get that c trim in ,the opening for the trim is so much pressed that I hardly can open it....

Restaurating a Ghia is not the simpelest thing,frankly said.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
Thanks for the info ,let's hope I got the good rubbers.Well I got yesterday the rear window in without trouble.
Still in one angle I got the same thing that the outer lip is not on the window but a bit uprising but at a whole it's not a bad fit.
So I think I should be able to do this the same at front(assuming the rubber is the good one) though I still don't know what I did else...

Only I may not think how on earth I'm gonna get that c trim in ,the opening for the trim is so much pressed that I hardly can open it....

Restaurating a Ghia is not the simpelest thing,frankly said.

I used a tool for installing the wire in the windshield rubber, in this case where the C channel goes. I then pulled the wire a little to open the seal and started the trim in.
The most important thing is that the trim fits perfectly to the contours of the seal otherwise it will buck out. It’s the worst job…

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

Well after 3 attempts I'm sure I have the wrong rubber seal.I have the early style windshield(17,3 inch,-44cm) and I have a c trim seal.Can someone affirm this?
If this is so it should normally fit but it doesn't.No way to get windshield and seal in the opening simply too big .this even without trim.
Pity I don't have the old seal to compare...
But what now? Order another seal? They only seem to be with the t trim here in Europe.
Buy the smaller windshield?
I'm a bit lost here....
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Reply with quote

So I ordered a new windshield rubber with the c trim opening.
was a bit confusing ,nobody seems to know exactly what is what here.
But I was lucky ,I got the new rubber ,took me 10 minutes to get it round the windshield and together with my wife we put it in in about 5 minutes.
No soapwater,glycerine,ot whatever.Just pulling the wire and some-even not a lot- pressing did the job.You have to position the window good before you begin though.

conclusion it's not a bad job if you have the wright combination window rubber trim.

off course the c trim is still waiting for me,but that's another story to come.

greetings and thanks everyone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: