Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting a Fantastic Fan
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

Mrs fxr had been asking for a fan in the pop-top vent for some time, and one of her Christmas presents was a Fantastic Fan, from her Dad. My job was to install it. Now I had considered one of these when we first bought the van, but back then I refused to cut into the fibreglass to make the necessary 14" square hole.

I now had the confidence to go ahead, and if it didn't work out, to repair what I'd done. Wink

First thing was to buy an 18" by 24" 1/8" thick piece of HDPE from Tap plastics ($10) to help cover up the indents around the vent. Then to cut a 14" by 14" hole in the middle of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now the cut in the roof:

And add some 'dams' to seal the gaps along the channels.

Ready to locate the cover of the fan, set it down with sealant and screw it in place:

And then fit the fan itself:

That called for a bit of trim to make it neater - hardboard and Krylon Almond Satin paint did the trick:

Mrs fxr made an insulated internal "curtain" for it, held on with snaps:

It worked perfectly while camped and was a godsend in Baja, the only slight downside is that it rattles a bit at speeds over 65mph, but I'll find some way of quietening that.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

Mike want, nice work, thanks for the documentation, especially after you’ve extensively tested. I’ll be copying.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

If you're not relying on Christmas presents, consider the Maxxair products as well before purchasing. Wink

Ours doesn't have the remote, nor does it re-circulate with the lid closed - but we decided we could live without those just fine.

I'll add: I took the wires straight out towards the front, fed around the outside of the pop-top and then underneath the canvas right at the back. Then down the D pillar (rear vent), and then into the storage space under the rear seat where my aux battery lives.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

I did this too.

See my post here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8796997#8796997

fxr, could you describe how you wired it? Specifically, did you wire it all the way down to the poptop hinges, and how did you bridge that area? Just curious.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

I love how the fantastic fan moves air through the van. Some folks like the Maxxfan but it seems they eachwork pretty well.

Fantastic fan making the tell-tale flow...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

The Fan-Tastic 7350 power vent is the vent that I recommend to folks for their NAHT hightop. I'm sure that the MaxAir is a quality product as well but folks who have the Fantastic vent are very happy with it. Those with the remote for the vent like that especially - those that didn't get the remote model, wish they had. Nevertheless, if you're looking for a Fantastic vent, it really pays to search around on line for one - the prices from some of the big RV supply retailers vary widely - and watch the model numbers and features carefully. I've seen the Fantastic vent with remote, rain sensor etc etc etc for as low as $220 but current lowest price seems to be around $300 - so it really pays to shop around. They're really great for controlling humidity inside the van and therefore condensation as well as temperature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Those with the remote for the vent like that especially - those that didn't get the remote model, wish they had. .

The remote is very nice. I have it set up on the NAHT top wall above the kitchen where I can reach it from the driver's seat. If I forget to close the vent before driving away I can reach up and close it (I still need to make that pre-flight checklist), if I want to open it from the driver's seat I can do that.

The auto-close when it rains works well but I have a vinyl floor so it's not that important to me.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

This is the pre-drive checklist I have laminated and stuck behind the driver side visor. Hope this helps!

kourt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scubavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

Good job Jim.
I was wondering how you installed that when I saw it in Mulege.
Marshall
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

Scubavw wrote:
Good job Jim.
I was wondering how you installed that when I saw it in Mulege.
Marshall

Thanks - I hope the rest of your trip was great. Smile
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
This is the pre-drive checklist I have laminated and stuck behind the driver side visor. Hope this helps!

kourt

Ha! It's your pre-fliht checklist that's been on my mind for a few years since I saw it. I mostly ask my partner and she reminds me what Ive forgotten. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

Somewhat on topic is this gem by the same company.
https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Vent-01100WH-Endless-Breeze/dp/B0000AY2Z6

It fits great in a front window with the glass cranked up a bit and sips power. I use when I leave my dog in the car. Totally worth the C-note for efficiency and power.

BK
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

It’s too bad the install requires cutting the top. Thanks for documenting and sharing the install.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

I'm not a 3d printing expert, but if one had a printer big enough wouldn't it be possible to print a step-down adapter that could be plug-and-play? Think I'll link unibagel to this thread.

EDIT: Sent him a PM.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
It’s too bad the install requires cutting the top. Thanks for documenting and sharing the install.

Yes, the necessity for cutting is sad, and probably puts off most people who'd like a fan like this. However, the cut-out bits could easily be glassed back in if required.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

I'll second the Fantastic fan stand alone too.
Fan-Tastic Vent 01100WH Endless Breeze - 12 Volt Fan Idea
1988M5 wrote:
Somewhat on topic is this gem by the same company.
https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Vent-01100WH-Endless-Breeze/dp/B0000AY2Z6

It fits great in a front window with the glass cranked up a bit and sips power. I use when I leave my dog in the car. Totally worth the C-note for efficiency and power.

BK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banksdaname
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

Thanks for this post fxr...How'd you end up wiring in your fan?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

banksdaname wrote:
Thanks for this post fxr...How'd you end up wiring in your fan?

Wires are exposed for a few inches going straight forwards and through a small hole to the underneath of the front lip of the pop-top. From there all the way around the side of the pop-top then tucked under the canvas near the RH hinge. Then through a drilled hole into the D pillar and eventually to a fused connection to my Aux battery under the rear seat. HTH. Smile
heynanc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting a Fantastic Fan Reply with quote

Super thank you to all who contributed to this discussion. I was thinking about the vent fan situation, and I certainly will benefit from that pre-flight checklist! Cool
1984 Westfailia Vanagon EJ22 “ Guinness”
2006 Dodge Sprinter (long/tall)
2006 Winnebago View (in case the buses aren’t cooperating)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: