Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing to irs—screwed bad?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Swing to irs—screwed bad? Reply with quote

I mounted the irs pivots using a jig but after install the pivot is a bit off. I don’t want/will not/really cannot cut them off and start over as they’re welding in well. To correct I’m thinking of opening the hole on the Allen side so it pivots forward, then using a torch heat the threaded side to rotate. Then weld a bung over the outside of the Allen in its new position
Or run it crooked.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing to irs—screwed bad? Reply with quote

I would cut them off, buy a new set, and try again.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing to irs—screwed bad? Reply with quote

Tac-weld first. Never rush and line up everything before welding everything tight. I would re-do it. It would haunt me forever ! It is just like having a new panel off by 1 or 2mm after the door goes back in. Factory VW brackets are a slightly different design and are thinner, but the bolt angles are correct. Ask me how I know.

Check your PM

Are you going to install new complete pans also?
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Swing to irs—screwed bad? Reply with quote

Back in the 80's I raced a 1600 car and we were allowed +/-1" trailing arms. We achieved this by extending the arm just behind the pivot. So with the arm jigged up in the car I'm going to make relief cuts to get the pivot back to straight then weld and gusset it up. The buggy is being built for the street. Can't be any worse than I've seen in the extended arm builds in the hbb forum.
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Swing to irs—screwed bad? Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:

Are you going to install new complete pans also?

I have diamond plate aluminum with a 1x3 square tube subframe for the floors.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing to irs—screwed bad? Reply with quote

I thought the jig prevented misalignment. If it doesn't then why use it? Why not just mount up the trailing arm with the bracket on, square it up and weld?
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing to irs—screwed bad? Reply with quote

I agree a repair would be plenty strong, but knowing and seeing a “fix” would drive me nuts!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: