Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark Plug for 1776
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Spark Plug for 1776 Reply with quote

1776, 8:1 compression, 042 heads,....I've gotten different opinions regarding spark plugs. I've searched here, but I don't understand the heat, resistor stuff. I'd like to stick with NGK plugs. I've been recommended to try the B6HS but my heads require 3/4" plugs. So, I think I'm supposed to get the B6ES plugs.
What do you guys recommend (NGK)? Also, using the stock Blue coil with Compufire ignition if that makes a difference.

Probably should be in another thread, but does anybody see a reason to update my coil? Its almost brand new and works fine. I notice that when the coil is updated, there's a need to update the spark plugs for a hotter or colder spark. If so, then which coil and plugs? Thx
Woody Gee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an FYI, spark plug temp ranges are based on cylinder combustion chamber temperatures, not on electrical systems. It has to do with the spark plugs ability to transfer heat. One other tidbit, if it only takes 20,000 volts to jump a plugs gap, that is all the ignition system will put out. A 40,000 volt capable coil will only put out what is needed, no more.

Someone else will jump in with the correct plug for your needs.

Hers: 67 bug project, 2332 in boxes, FK44, L6

theirs: 62 2110 turbo drag car
floor sweep motor 12.98 @107

In my research I have discovered that senility is painless.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/NGK-BP6ET-Spark-Plug-14x3-4-Reach-Threads-13-16-p/bp6et.htm

are incredible.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/NGK-BP6ET-Spark-Plug-14x3-4-Reach-Threads-13-16-p/bp6et.htm

are incredible.

Its about time others chimed in!....I have been saying that the BP6ET and the Bosch W7Dtc were superb for similar applications for years.
Awesome plug for compressions above 8.0.1 . Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the BCP6ES. While it has only 1 ground it only needs a 5/8" socket instead of the standard 13/16". It's a lot easier to get the socket on the #1 and #3 plugs.

BCP6ES (left) / BP6ES (right)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I like the BCP6ES. While it has only 1 ground it only needs a 5/8" socket instead of the standard 13/16". It's a lot easier to get the socket on the #1 and #3 plugs.

I thought the purists would scream if someone tried 5/8 inch socket plugs !!!

That's a great idea, you should see how ground-down my magnetic 13/16 inch socket is so that it would fit using my single Weber 40DCNF manifold (Thunderbird Products, 1976 vintage).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
While it has only 1 ground ......[/img]

Glenn - what do you mean by this, haven't heard the term.

And is this BCP6ES for a long-reach cylinder head?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Glenn wrote:
While it has only 1 ground ......[/img]

Glenn - what do you mean by this, haven't heard the term.

And is this BCP6ES for a long-reach cylinder head?

If you look carefully at the picture in the link that John from Aircooled.net posted....you will see that it has three ground eldctrodes.

Glenn.....two years ago I bought a set of triple electrode bosch supers in 5/8" size and 7 heat range for my 2006 jetta. Awesome plug. I have been toying with the idea of using 5/8" plugs in my type 4 for the same reasons you give.

So triples are available in 5/8" should you want them. I am sure NGK makes some like it as well.

The Bosch triple electrode plug equivalent to BP6ET is W7DTC.
The NGK triple electrode 5/8" socket triple electrode plug is BUR6ET
The Bosch triple electrode 5/8" socket plug is WR7DTC.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
If you look carefully at the picture in the link that John from Aircooled.net posted....you will see that it has three ground electrodes.

Thanks, I hadn't looked at any links.
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

So triples are available in 5/8" should you want them. I am sure NGK makes some like it as well.

Ray

This caught my interest... Not something we're deeply immersed in - but I spent a while searching for a 5/8-head plug, that would fit between the manifolds & tins on our Ghia.

I tried looking up the BUR6ET referenced here. At least according to this:
http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9602
it's a 13/16 head...

The NGK triple with a 5/8 head, that I found, was BCP6ET
http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9267
I didn't choose it because it had a large gap (0.036), and internet lore said that the triples' gap can't be changed like single-ground plugs... Is there any truth to this rumor, or can these be gapped line a normal plug, but with 3 tweaks...? My ignition seems to be happy with a standard 0.028 gap, but don't know if this changes for a triple configuration...

I went with the BCP6ES (single ground), as Glenn suggested. Works fine, and the 5/8 plug socket fits... However, the plug's ball terminal doesn't screw off, so it requires non-VW-standard wires. That took a bit of searching, but [email protected] had a suitable set of wires.
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

are incredible.

Just picked 4 of these plugs. $2.80 each @ pepboys. Does Aircooled price match??? $5 a plug is a bit much. Sorry john. You are a wealth of knowledge but kinda pricey for us poor folks
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e&m_ghia wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

This caught my interest... Not something we're deeply immersed in - but I spent a while searching for a 5/8-head plug, that would fit between the manifolds & tins on our Ghia.

I tried looking up the BUR6ET referenced here. At least according to this:
http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9602
it's a 13/16 head...
And
The NGK triple with a 5/8 head, that I found, was BCP6ET
http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9267
I didn't choose it because it had a large gap (0.036), and internet lore said that the triples' gap can't be changed like single-ground plugs... Is there any truth to this rumor, or can these be gapped line a normal plug, but with 3 tweaks...? My ignition seems to be happy with a standard 0.028 gap, but don't know if this changes for a triple configuration...

I went with the BCP6ES (single ground), as Glenn suggested. Works fine, and the 5/8 plug socket fits... However, the plug's ball terminal doesn't screw off, so it requires non-VW-standard wires. That took a bit of searching, but [email protected] had a suitable set of wires.

Hmmmm. I may have pulled up the wrong part #.

But there is "0" truth to the gap "myth" with these plugs. They can be gappel like any other plug. You simply use a differnt tool. Do a search on part # 0986600000. It is a Bosch spark plug gap gauge. Works excellent for any plug...but is specially made for this type of electrode.
In fact...any "L" shaped wire spark plug gauge will work. Never use those crappy ramp style gauges. They make one side of the electrode higher than the other.

The triple electrode plug is especially designed for lean mixtures and high compression.....at high rpms. Only one electrode fires at any time. But because of the changing impedance of any electrode from millisecond to millisecond.....due to temperature, expansion, compression, currents in the fuel mixture etc.....it has a much more reliable rate of spark at high rpms. It also produces a hotter ignition point and a more reliable flame front because fuel/air mix gets squished into the cage area between the electrodes......so the studies frlm years back say.....and from my experiences with this type of plug. ...they are probably correct.

Use as much voltage at the coil as you can get with these plugs.

Contrary to one of the earlier posts.... you dont just get the voltage a plug, can take. The stock bug coil puts out only about 18kv. But as rpm increases, dwell and coil saturatikn time drop. Typically at 3000 rpm and above....you will be lucky wiyh perfect connectivity to get about 3kv at any plug at any time. The spark gets smaller and weaker. It can kiterally g3t blown out at high rpm, high rates of advance and with high compression.

These plugs work well for hihh rpm and high compression. They were the go to plug for lean burn digifant and turbocharged CIS injection....and are a common high rpm motorcycle plug. They are all I use on D-jet with type 4 engine.
But.....they seem to work much better with better than stock voltage from the coil.

The three electrodes wear dead evely which also tends to support the random nature of spark ionization point theory with this type of plug.......and they last a looooong time.

Also.....if you are getting these plugs whether they are Bosch or NGK.....for less than $5 a plug you are getting someones one time old stock. When you go to buy a set again....you will not fjnd that they exist as a store or have any in stock.

$5 a plug is just about normal and actually about $1 low for this plug.

Edit: that plug at Pep Boys had to have been a sale. I used to buy most of my plugs at Pep Boys because out of all of the chains....they had the widest stock and almost always had eithet BP6ET or W7DTC in stock. I have never been able to buy that plug for under about $4 each at best price. My last set was in 2008 at PB. They are not in my area now.
Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the information is not worth anything to you that's ok.

Motor60 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

are incredible.

Just picked 4 of these plugs. $2.80 each @ pepboys. Does Aircooled price match??? $5 a plug is a bit much. Sorry john. You are a wealth of knowledge but kinda pricey for us poor folks

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kidding with you....it's plenty worth it. Because of you, I found the plugs. Thx!!
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug for 1776 Reply with quote

Received some BPR5ES but the terminal is non-removable.. Is there a new number people are using for a 14mm-3/4 reach?
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plug for 1776 Reply with quote

The B6HS will work for you. Non-resistor plugs are not being manufactured anymore, or so I've been told. We dont need resistor plugs. Our resistance is in other places like the stock rotor. John's price is Not too high. He may soon have no choice but match his price again to the increasing demand!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: