Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clean engine case
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
Cleaning a case with steel beads. Shocked

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Junkyardjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about cleaning a new mag AS41 case in & out before assembly? What to clean it with after I unwrap it? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean engine case Reply with quote

Just finished cleaning a few filthy 36hp cases, tried something new: crushed walnut shells.
First I ran them through the parts washer, and scrubbed the worst of the grime off. Hosed off at home with some simple green, and then into the blast cabinet with medium grit crushed walnut. It's cheap, doesn't get gummed up easily, and doesn't lodge itself into every pore like other fine media.
Upside: you can get everything clean, even the mating surfaces and bearing bores.
Downside: it doesn't get the case that new shiny mag like some of the previous posts.
Before and after:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This isn't the same case, this is one I did yesterday.

I still have to pull plugs, tap for full flow, and start the deep clean, but this is a pretty nice finish for not much work. I may give some Armex Soda a try on one to see if it brightens the mag a bit, and then treat it with some Alodine.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean engine case Reply with quote

You should follow your instinct and do the soda blast, it really brightened up my Mag case after the parts washer and degreasing was done.

50lb bag of armex cleaning soda + a cheap blasting setup works great.

Both can be found at harbor frieght for cheap. I personally had great luck with the $25 - 50 lb. Capacity gravity blaster. The small hopper fed might work ok too (I have one of those but I use it for abrasive media so I cant say how well it would work with soda, it does what I need it to with sand tho)

A decently large compressor bigger than 30-60 gallon is recomended. You could get away with a smaller one but it will take 2 hours instead of 1.

Great thing is, there are so many uses for soda blasting it will become your best friend during the engine rebuild Very Happy

Just get it already Laughing

Full disclosure: I'm not a proud 36hp owner just yet Wink

Last edited by evanfrucht on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean engine case Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
50lb bag of armex cleaning soda and a cheap blasting setup work great.

Both can be found at harbor frieght for cheap. I have had great luck with the $25 - 50 lb. Capacity gravity blaster.

A decently large compressor bigger than 30-60 gallon is recomended. You could get away with a smaller one but it will take 2 hours instead of 1.

Great thing is, there are so many uses for soda blasting it will become your best friend during the engine rebuild Very Happy

No doubt armex soda is great stuff, I use it in a smaller cabinet for carbs and delicate parts. It doesn't always do well with thick cake don stuff, even over 100psi and with a sufficiently small nozzle, and it cakes up if theres anything oily. Which is why the walnut was so good, it just beats the caked on stuff off, and it doesn't get slimy if the case isn't perfectly dry.
The soda will definitely do well on the next trip through the cabinet.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean engine case Reply with quote

esde wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:
50lb bag of armex cleaning soda and a cheap blasting setup work great.

Both can be found at harbor frieght for cheap. I have had great luck with the $25 - 50 lb. Capacity gravity blaster.

No doubt armex soda is great stuff, I use it in a smaller cabinet for carbs and delicate parts. It doesn't always do well with thick cake don stuff, even over 100psi and with a sufficiently small nozzle, and it cakes up if theres anything oily. Which is why the walnut was so good, it just beats the caked on stuff off, and it doesn't get slimy if the case isn't perfectly dry.
The soda will definitely do well on the next trip through the cabinet.

Good point. I was running it at 150 psi. Maybe a 3mm nozzle on that thing. I used the heavy duty Armex version, and the case was heavily scrubbed and power washed beforehand with various degreasing agents. I wouldn't expect the results to be as good any other way.

Good to know walnut works well, I was hesitant to use it since I heard the opposite actually (that baking soda works better for this task than walnut shells) and also baking soda just washes away in water... my thought was it would be easier to get it out of the oil galleys and such.

And also make it easier to clean my driveway afterwards Cool
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Clean engine case Reply with quote

https://www.westmichiganultrasonic.com/engine-parts-cleaning-services
Nice pics of a 911 case!
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean engine case Reply with quote

Have any of you tried cleaning the case with a nylon brush wheel on a drill? This sort of thing...

I used one on the end castings on my 1600 dual port that I rebuilt over last winter. I'd cleaned the castings by soaking in hot degreaser. That left them clean, but blackened. I tried one of those nylon wheels and it brought them up clean and bright. I wish I'd thought to try it on the outside of the case before I split it for the rebuild.

I have a '54 36hp under the bench in my garage to rebuild *someday*. Would the brush wheels work on that case or would they damage it?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean engine case Reply with quote

Keep it off of any machined surfaces, specifically main bearing bore and saddles, case parting halves, etc. Totally fine for the exterior though
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Clean engine case Reply with quote

vapor blasting
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Bang bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean engine case Reply with quote

Hi, my 36 hp case is not looking to good after getting machined and cleaned.
Wanting to soda blast, will it be ok to blast and not remove oil galley plugs before putting it back together?
My understanding is soda should dissolve with water
Only wanting to do the external of the case.

Any advice?

Thanks
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean engine case Reply with quote

I always pull the plugs, but if you really don't want to, yes the Armex soda is water soluble.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: